Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:30 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Purple is really versatile, true. I love carrying purple handbags for that reason.

If you tend towards certain colors, then it is easy to make those a basic too. For some reason I have a lot of clothes that include or look good with a light teal shade, and I currently have 3 pairs of shoes in that color that are worn out from all the wear. It surprisingly goes with so much in my wardrobe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I love teal and turquoise/aqua.
Teal, aquas, various blues love me, so I love them, I have many items in these colors including summer sandals. I love the color so much, I almost bought a purse that was on sale at tj maxx, but my sensibilities got the better of me, it was really pretty though and a good deal, but, but, but. now I wish I had just gone ahead and purchased it, no I don't it would have been a waste of money, but, but, but, I could have spent a lot of time staring at it and saying how cute it was. Best I resisted, I've had many a day in past years where I ended up clearing out a closet of clothing I picked up at places like Macy's and the tags were still attached. Come to think of it one item was a blue suede dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
I am rejoining the workforce and moving back to the DC area soon so I was interested in this thread. I just want to wear black, camel and navy forever...is that wrong? Preferably black but I don't want to look like a Nine Inch Nail groupie either.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Teal, aquas, various blues love me, so I love them, I have many items in these colors including summer sandals. I love the color so much, I almost bought a purse that was on sale at tj maxx, but my sensibilities got the better of me, it was really pretty though and a good deal, but, but, but. now I wish I had just gone ahead and purchased it, no I don't it would have been a waste of money, but, but, but, I could have spent a lot of time staring at it and saying how cute it was. Best I resisted, I've had many a day in past years where I ended up clearing out a closet of clothing I picked up at places like Macy's and the tags were still attached. Come to think of it one item was a blue suede dress.
Keep that Macy's stuff! Have you been into a Macy's lately? Honestly, I thought I was in the wrong store. They hardly have any classic-style stuff, and it's all cheap, trendy cr@p. I was shocked. Someone on one of the forums here said they've turned their backs on their steady customers over about 35, and are catering almost exclusively to a younger crowd, now. Whose bright idea was that? Think of all the business they'll lose! Unbelievable! Macy's was my fashion oasis, here in NM. All we have otherwise is Penny's and Dillard's. Dillards is very frumpy. It looks like all their fashions come from the cornfields of Kansas, or something. They used to carry designer brands, but they quit a couple of years ago.

We don't have a Nordstrom's, but I've heard even they've started chasing after the youth market more, too.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I am rejoining the workforce and moving back to the DC area soon so I was interested in this thread. I just want to wear black, camel and navy forever...is that wrong? Preferably black but I don't want to look like a Nine Inch Nail groupie either.

LOL! Doesn't sound so wrong to me, I'm sure that if I were to move back up to NY, I would regress to my old habits and rarely ever see the color pink on myself again, well maybe a mohair sweater. Ha, ha. But it took me a long time to get out of the dressing in lots of black mode, I still sport my black palazzos all year round though, they are versatile and supper comfy.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Keep that Macy's stuff! Have you been into a Macy's lately? Honestly, I thought I was in the wrong store. They hardly have any classic-style stuff, and it's all cheap, trendy cr@p. I was shocked. Someone on one of the forums here said they've turned their backs on their steady customers over about 35, and are catering almost exclusively to a younger crowd, now. Whose bright idea was that? Think of all the business they'll lose! Unbelievable! Macy's was my fashion oasis, here in NM. All we have otherwise is Penny's and Dillard's. Dillards is very frumpy. It looks like all their fashions come from the cornfields of Kansas, or something. They used to carry designer brands, but they quit a couple of years ago.

We don't have a Nordstrom's, but I've heard even they've started chasing after the youth market more.

Oh, I got rid of those items long ago, but when I took bags and bags of clothing to my sister so she can sort it out and give it to friends, they asked her if her sister, me, was insane. It was good stuff, but I knew at that point after having some of the items in my closet for over a year, they wouldn't ever see the light of day and many still had tags on them. All way better quality than what's being sold today at some of those stores. Sad to say, I was indeed a shopaholic back then. I kicked that habit a long time ago. Still love to shop, but only with a strict budget in mind. Before, nothing would have stopped me from getting that purse, now I put things in my basket, I have a rational chat with myself and take the items out of the basket put them back before I reach the register.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Sad to say, I was indeed a shopaholic back then. I kicked that habit a long time ago. Still love to shop, but only with a strict budget in mind. Before, nothing would have stopped me from getting that purse, now I put things in my basket, I have a rational chat with myself and take the items out of the basket put them back before I reach the register.
I went through a shopaholic phase, when I was struggling with health issues, and needed something to cheer me up. But after moving to NM, there's no place to shop here! I guess people shop online, if they don't have any good place to shop...? Macy's has turned its back on us. Where do you shop?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I went through a shopaholic phase, when I was struggling with health issues, and needed something to cheer me up. But after moving to NM, there's no place to shop here! I guess people shop online, if they don't have any good place to shop...? Macy's has turned its back on us. Where do you shop?
I no longer have to worry about the usual office attire, so I mostly buy more casual dresses, but Ross, tj maxx, marshalls. I bought two pairs of palazzo slacks, beige and black at TJ maxx and one pair on line, I would shop macy's and Dillard's only in their discount sections, but like you said the selections aren't up to par anymore. I used to buy a lot of clothing on-line. Newport-news used to have some nice dresses, they've gone to heck as well. But if you don't mind parting with money, we have plenty of great stores in the area, but I'm not willing to part with much for any clothing item anymore, I don't have the need to. I had a Bergdorf credit card, I used to look at the catalog and just laugh; that was hilarious them sending me a pre-approved card. I still get the giggles thinking about it.

On that note, I better get my badonkadonk to bed. I'm here on east coast time and my body is saying time to go or else.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
Quote:
LOL! Doesn't sound so wrong to me, I'm sure that if I were to move back up to NY, I would regress to my old habits and rarely ever see the color pink on myself again, well maybe a mohair sweater. Ha, ha. But it took me a long time to get out of the dressing in lots of black mode, I still sport my black palazzos all year round though, they are versatile and supper comfy.
I just got stuck in an era...I also have a stacked bob haircut! Palazzos are comfortable and classy to boot.
I do like simple accessories like bracelets with my black.
I would totally pair the pink mohair with black!

Last edited by breakingbad; 08-31-2014 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Mohair

Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I would shop macy's and Dillard's only in their discount sections,.
I LOVE Macy's sales! Dillards doesn't have the frequent markdown schedule that Macy's has.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:20 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We do neutrals for all of the above and add color with accessories with clothing and inside of our home.
The outside is currently a very light blueish gray.
I'm in the midst of menopause... all the accessories I see add more stuff I have to take off when I start dripping sweat. I wear a tee or polo and pants, with some jewelry. Of course -- I no longer have to dress to impress, we own our own business.

My house is a shade of gray with a strong hint of lavender. My living room is gray blue with silver grey woodwork, with coral curtains, dining room is pale aqua and pink and kitchen is dark purple (blue, rather than red).

I quilt, and I just got new fabric for the next quilt today (ROAD TRIP!! -- went 40 miles to Antioch, CA) and the colors are lavendary mauvey rose to purple shades and greyed sagey green shades.... with a dash of yellow and aqua. Just looking at the fabric makes me happy.

I think my quilting also makes me much bolder with color. And living in a small house I break all sorts of furniture rules -- the biggest is the plain furniture dressed up with accessories. I mush prefer a patterned louder sofa, because in a small house if you put in a plain sofa and accessorize with pillows and other accent pieces you very easily have a very cluttered house. Which in the end make the room look much smaller. It's much better to let your sofa be the statement piece and go easy on the accessories.

And let me tell you -- it wasn't easy to find a patterned sofa that fit in my little living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty