Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 PM

102,081 posts, read 107,113,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
15 years or so ago when I worked in the corporate world, those rules worked quite well for me. I had my basic black, blue, grey, beige suits and mixed matched with skirts and various blouses, kept me looking fresh for months. But I did mix it up quite a bit depending on the office and mixed in prints and patterns later on, but for the most part it was easier to keep it simple. I had my wardrobe planned out sometimes for the whole month. Well not including weekends.
There can be a certain advantage to that. Kind of like wearing a uniform for school. You never really need to think about what you're going to wear. Anything your throw together will work, it's all designed to be interchangeable. You could pretty much choose your outfit blindfolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,878,151 times
I was not aware of these fashion rules. Therefore, I don't listen to them. I wear what looks good or what I like, even if it doesn't look good But I have a certain motto: "If something doesn't work for you, change it." Rules aren't hard and fast, in many instances. It never hurts to ask for something to be modified, negotiated, or just plain ignored.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,427,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There can be a certain advantage to that. Kind of like wearing a uniform for school. You never really need to think about what you're going to wear. Anything your throw together will work, it's all designed to be interchangeable. You could pretty much choose your outfit blindfolded.
It really did work well for me back then, but clothing designers and manufacturers have made it more difficult today with their sizing, so I think many women have a harder time getting pieces to work as well and shoping for the perfect pant is difficult for many women.

PS, nowadays, if I wear pants, I just mostly wear palazzo pants, I have black, beige and a brown pair.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:43 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,867,695 times
I can understand these basic guidelines for people who are, for the first time ever, creating a professional wardrobe. Well-tailored black pants and a button down shirt are useful and versatile. It's a lot better than some fresh outta college woman wearing fleece pajama pants and Uggs to the office or something too flashy, sexy, casual etc.

Some people need some basic help. And hopefully they develop their own style as well.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:00 PM

41,763 posts, read 74,778,397 times
There are rules?

Other than making sure your underwear isn't showing?

Anyway, what you're describing are not rules; they're suggestions.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,736,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the "rule" about neutrals tends more to be for women in, or aiming for, the executive office. It's more of a classic look. Though some may have a genuine preference for that, and it may work for them, which is fine. But it's more of a take-me-seriously-because-I'm-going-places look.
Good thing I work in tech. If CEOs can wear hoodies my pink shift dress is A-ok. I'll be in the c-suite with a pink cardigan.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:08 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,150,654 times
Here are my clothing rules.

Cotton dress pants and a button down shirt with black dress shoes for business casual

3-Piece suit with black dress shoes for formals

No yoga pants or basketball shorts outside the gym.

No Pajamas or sweatpants outdoors.

Formula for clothing:

f(fit, style, handsomeness, sex drive)= (handsomeness*e^(pi*fit))+(style^2.4)+(sex drive^0.32)

Old 08-30-2014, 06:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,708,905 times
LOL Adi! Love the formula! I do hope you are enjoying Georgia. Welcome to the South, where folks know how to dress. This will be a brave new world for you.

When I lost weight and got hawt again I sold almost all of my neutrals. No need to hide amynore.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,427,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL Adi! Love the formula! I do hope you are enjoying Georgia. Welcome to the South, where folks know how to dress. This will be a brave new world for you.

When I lost weight and got hawt again I sold almost all of my neutrals. No need to hide amynore.
LOL! I wore more neutrals during my thinner days, now, that I have a bigger canvas to work with I break out the louder colors a bit more often But, I still prefer my slacks to be in more muted tones, I did the colorful jeans and such in my 20's 30's not as fond of too many bright color slacks these days, though I do own a pair of teal colored cotton pants.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,708,905 times
EEK I run from colored jeans, no offense, that's just me. I remember the eighties LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty