Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

There is a list of around 10 fashion rules/guidelines that seem to have been promoted for decades. Things like all women need a pair of well-fitting black trousers, build your wardrobe around neutrals and use your accessories for color, stock up on basic well fitting t-shirts and use them as the base of your wardrobe, get a khaki trench for all season wear, you can wear your white button down shirt every day, and a few more I am forgetting.

I went through a period where i tried to build my wardrobe around those rules and it failed miserably. I got the classic black trouser and never wanted to wear them. When I tried to dress up my solid t-shirts with jewelry and colorful cardigans it came across as too casual and too much like a chain restaurant uniform. Don't get me started on the button down shirt sagas.

I eventually figured out those rules were completely useless for me. I decided my basics weren't going to follow the rules. The only stuff that i tend to keep neutral are purses and jewelry. My basic coats are colorful. My wardrobe staples are printed dresses (some in neutral patterns and some are more colorful) and colorful pencil skirts. My basic cardigans are dark pink, electric blue, and grey. The pink and blue ones go with 75% of my outfits! And i wear all of these staples more often than i ever wore the official ones!

So do you find the fashion "rules" work or have you modified them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 12:20 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Those rules are great if you have the perfect black pants that fit great and are comfortable and go with everything, and the perfect T's that actually can be dressed up (which pretty much makes them dressy t's), and so on. But in reality those are not such easy things to find. I go with whatever fits me and is comfortable and looks good. When I find a basic piece like that then it's great to have, but not every pair of black pants or every t or every trench is actually going to look good on me, especially since I'm not really a size and shape that clothing is made for. Plus, you can only buy what is in the stores.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:47 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
No white after labor day. I don't follow that one.

Shoes and purse have to match. It took me awhile but I'm breaking that one.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
What's the fun in wearing neutrals? If we were supposed to wear neutrals, the fashion industry wouldn't be cranking out a new array of colors every season. And honestly, I've never heard of that T-shirts-as-basics thing. They may be good as basics for jeans/casual pants, but not for the office, unless it's some kind of special T. I think the whole concept of "flexible" or "casual-to-dressy" T's is just marketing.

Everyone needs to figure out what works for them; what colors, what cuts/designs, what length, etc. People who don't look good in stark white shouldn't wear white button-down shirts at all, unless they can find an off-white, or cream, or whatever, that does look good on them, and even then, for them it might be best to leave it as office wear.

I follow a different set of rules; 1. Wear what's flattering to your figure, not necessarily what's the "in" thing for that season/year. 2. Combine colors that are shades of one color, maybe with one item for contrast, but within the general tone of the other items. 3. Wear colors that set off your skin tone and hair color well, i.e. get yourself a color analysis, so you know what "your" colors are. (Not a hard-and-fast rule, but it really does have a great effect.) 4. White isn't for everyone. No single color is for everyone. 5. Within those basic rules, have fun! Get jiggy with it!

Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I don't follow those rules by any means.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
No one has to follow any fashion "rules." Do whatever you want.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I have it up to here (raises hand and flaps it 3 feet above my head) with neutrals ANYTHING.

The beige and taupe army have taken over the world. Neutral home furnishings, neutral clothing, neutral house paint -- gross and awful and I am SO tired of it. The world has color in it! USE IT.

TO me -- neutrals are all about fear. Fear of doing something wrong.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I like neutral and have several such items in my closet. I also enjoy color. Pastels, not so much. Black slacks are definitely a staple and I have more than one pair. When I'm shopping and encounter a good buy, I can't pass it up if it's a duplicate. I've mentioned in other threads my penchant for thrift stores, so when it's a good buy, it can easily be practically free.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I think the "rule" about neutrals tends more to be for women in, or aiming for, the executive office. It's more of a classic look. Though some may have a genuine preference for that, and it may work for them, which is fine. But it's more of a take-me-seriously-because-I'm-going-places look.

It's funny, because I've seen US fashion rules smashed to pieces in Europe. When women were wearing neutrals, men'swear-style suiting fabric, and long, flared (not body-hugging) skirts in the late 80's/early 90's, after so much publicity over sexual harassment (when was the Anita Hill issue?), European women's office wear was the complete and extreme opposite: short, tight, booty-hugging skirts in bright neon colors with short jackets of contrasting neon colors. A completely different planet. The contrast between the two--the drab, sexless US and the bright, provocative European styles--side by side was bizarre.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-30-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
15 years or so ago when I worked in the corporate world, those rules worked quite well for me. I had my basic black, blue, grey, beige suits and mixed matched with skirts and various blouses, kept me looking fresh for months. But I did mix it up quite a bit depending on the office and mixed in prints and patterns later on, but for the most part it was easier to keep it simple. I had my wardrobe planned out sometimes for the whole month. Well not including weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty