Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
It might sound silly to some, but wearing heels at work helps level the field and helps me get respect.
Yes. Getting taken seriously in certain work contexts can be very challenging for women. You're either too blonde, too short, too young-looking, too old, too something. It's especially tough in male-dominated professions, like business or diplomacy/foreign service, and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Personally I think stilettos are only "promiscuous" when worn with other dubious choices. Only a few items on the list are trashy in and of themselves, in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Quote:
That's one of the main reasons I wear heels, too. I'm about 5'5" and I work in a male dominated field. It's hard to stand your ground when all of your colleagues (plus subordinates/superiors) tower over you and literally look down at you.
It has nothing to do with being in a male-dominated field. It's about being surrounded by tall people and dealing with the associated heightism. As a short man, I too deal with heightism - from both men and women, but it's worse from women.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
That's one of the main reasons I wear heels, too. I'm about 5'5" and I work in a male dominated field. It's hard to stand your ground when all of your colleagues (plus subordinates/superiors) tower over you and literally look down at you.

It might sound silly to some, but wearing heels at work helps level the field and helps me get respect.
It's not the heels that get you respect. Trust me.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Mini-skirts have no place in the office. I question why a woman would wear stilletos to work, although as a guy, I do like them. It's funny seeing a 60-year old woman wear them. More power to her. I just don't understand why a woman would wear them every day. They are kinda trashy for the office, but great for the bedroom. Where I work, it's the young Asian girls wearing short skirts and stilletos. I know that they've been asked to tone it down as well.

The pencil skirt is a classic look that I think all women should wear.
I find it has to do with how you put together an outfit.

If you are wearing a short skirt to work (no micro mini, just a shorter skirt) it should be paired with a modest shirt and flats.

If you're wearing stiletto boots, wear a loose tunic with thick leggings or the like.

If you're wearing a lower-cut blouse (that shows a very modest amount of cleavage) a pair of dress slacks or a longer skirt and shoes with modest or flat heels work best.

Save the low-cut blouse/miniskirt/stiletto peep-toe shoes combo for the club.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:

Yup. It has to do with getting on eye level.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times
I think the notion of a garment or particular fashion being trashy is a relative term and it depends a lot on the context in which it is looked at. Also it depends on the country and type of society looking at it. Some fashions that are considered trashy in America are perfectly fine in Europe and other parts of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty