Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,716,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They still wear makeup. Almost any woman over 30 has something she wants to cover up on her face. She may have a more expensive skincare routine, more visits to the dermatologist and more treatments, so she can get by with less makeup than someone whose skin isn't as well cared for, but she's still wearing makeup. A little undereye concealer, foundation to even out her complexion, nothing obvious like a lot of eyeshadow or thick mascara, lipstick in a natural color applied with a brush so it looks more natural.
I disagree. In my upper middle class neighborhood, many, maybe even most, 30 something moms walk out the door barefaced for day to day stuff.

Most of us were raised to take good care of our skin (at least in my circle of friends) and none of us wear foundation or most skin make up. Sometimes at work, or when we need to look more polished (presenting at a conference) we wear some subtle eye makeup, and a brush of lipstick or gloss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I think it would actually be kind of cool if we normal women could come up with a look that's actually better than what the Hollywood people tell us to wear. I think women are controlled by the media oh so much, and I think we should probably try to take back a little bit of the power, if it's possible. What do you girls think?

Can we:
Look great without store-bought makeup products?
Come up with our own unique fashions that don't follow the trends but still look elegant and beautiful?
Define our own gender roles without the stereotypes?
Stop letting our misogynistic media and culture define what a woman is?

It's 2014, and most young women, especially those entering the workforce, are still concerned about how to get their hair a certain way, how to put on the perfect eye shadow, how to make their significant other "love" them, what to wear to look "hot," and various other objectifying ideals. At least, that was the way it was the last time I looked at a magazine.
I don't really keep up with Hollywood. My ex worked for Modern Family when I first met him, and I didn't know anything about the show, and he was surprised.

I don't really give a crap.

I wear what I want to wear. I do what I want to do. I wear my hair by what inspires me. I tailor my outfits according to how they fit.. everyone else in Hollywood can just eff off. I seriously don't belong in Cali. I dress nice, but I do it for me, and I'm very picky... I just don't like the conformist pop culture mentality. Super annoying. And, yes- people who try to bimbo themselves to magazine wear bug me like hell.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 AM

140 posts, read 167,855 times
I really like make up. I always did. Make up always makes me feel better. Sometimes I wake up in the morning feeling like crap and I dont look my best due to a bad night or not drinking enough water. I pop some eye-shadow that fits my eyes and some bronzer and a lipstick taa taaa I feel so energized and ready to go. I also like putting make up on others. I actually have just started my YouTube channel and I give make up tips. I believe I have such a non standard face that I came up with my own tricks to get the best out of my face. I bring out the features that I like and hide away the ones that I don't. It is not only fun also very artistic. I always believed that make up doesn't make you "beautiful" it only compliments the beauty that is already present .

I will put the links of my videos here in case you wanted to see my make up. I think you would like it.

How to: Make Your Nose Smaller With a Foundation …: http://youtu.be/62705o6z2nA

Old 09-13-2014, 12:18 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,697,399 times
I wear what I want to I don't take selfies of buttfies either

Old 09-13-2014, 01:50 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,197,331 times
In my early 20's I like to experiment with clothing styles I've made up in my sleep.

Some look masculine, and some look a wee bit feminine. So I have a fair share of gays and girls hitting on me.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 AM

555 posts, read 803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I think it would actually be kind of cool if we normal women could come up with a look that's actually better than what the Hollywood people tell us to wear. I think women are controlled by the media oh so much, and I think we should probably try to take back a little bit of the power, if it's possible. What do you girls think?

Can we:
Look great without store-bought makeup products?
Come up with our own unique fashions that don't follow the trends but still look elegant and beautiful?
Define our own gender roles without the stereotypes?
Stop letting our misogynistic media and culture define what a woman is?

It's 2014, and most young women, especially those entering the workforce, are still concerned about how to get their hair a certain way, how to put on the perfect eye shadow, how to make their significant other "love" them, what to wear to look "hot," and various other objectifying ideals. At least, that was the way it was the last time I looked at a magazine.
Yes to all four questions. Plenty of women have been doing that for some time now -- not a big deal. Heck, most women I know don't wear makeup. Why do it when you have a good complexion? Or just don't feel like it? What you find acceptable often depends on your social circle. Does your circle encourage individuality or conformity? I remember girls doing all these things back in the 70s and 80s -- ancient history, I know. I'm sure it just depends on who you hang out with and who you accept as your peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty