U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM

290 posts, read 999,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
They're both petite, actually
That's another thing I've wondered about. If the average American woman is 5'4" WHY are all the clothes now cut for someone who stands about 5'10"? I spent $600 a couple of months ago having a whole bunch of clothes altered (waists taken in, hemmed 5-6 inches, seats taken in) that I picked up at bargain prices. It makes me crazy that I try to be so careful about buying clothes at good prices but then to tack on huge sums to have them altered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:00 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,591,963 times
I used to love shopping for clothes, but absolutely hate it now. I am a size 4, but the average lengths are too short for me and the long lengths are too long. The only place I have been able to find pants with a consistent fit is the Victoria Secret catalog. You can order the exact length you need and so far the sizing for me has been right. I also have a narrow waist and broad shoulders, so in order to get shirts to fit my shoulders I have that extra fabric around the waist. The few shirts I ordered from VS fit pretty good even for those of us without a chest. Some are too dressy for me and too revealing, but the t-shirts are nice. I wait until they offer a deal on shipping and at the end of the seasons, so it is a bit cheaper. It isn't as fun as the instant gratification of the mall, but until the designers start making athletic cuts for women as they do for men, it will have to do. We could probably start an entire forum on what a pain it is to find a decent bra that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

Old 12-27-2007, 04:00 PM

218 posts, read 1,011,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Cosign with hating women's clothes! The vanity sizing in the US is BEYOND crazy. I've weighed exactly the same for the past 12-13 years and my size has gone from a 6 to a 4to a 2 and now to a ZERO. I don't know who they think they're fooling with vanity sizing and what the hell they think those of us who are not overweight are supposed to wear! Last night I was on the Armani Exchange website checking out sales and found a pair of cute pants. I check the size chart and their size zero was cut to a 29 inch waist! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? A size TEN used to be cut to a 24-inch waist, and now a ZERO is cut 5 inches larger than that? My mom's old clothes fit me like a glove and they're mostly 8-10s. It makes me loathe clothes shopping, it really does. Something that should be fun turns into a nightmare.
I weigh 20 lbs more than I weighed in high school back in the 70's yet I wear the same size. How can that be? In those days I bought my jeans in the boy's department I was so thin. My biggest pet peeve is that now most skirts and pants have about the same size waist and hips and I don't!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelongboatkey View Post
I weigh 20 lbs more than I weighed in high school back in the 70's yet I wear the same size. How can that be? In those days I bought my jeans in the boy's department I was so thin. My biggest pet peeve is that now most skirts and pants have about the same size waist and hips and I don't!
I know, isn't that crazy! I am slender, but have an hourglass shape- 9.5 inch difference between waist and hips, and it's like they assume that if you have a slender waist, then you also have no hips to speak of. I'll pick up a pair of pants that look about the right size for my waist and then get in the dressing room and find that I can't pull them past my hips! I used to really enjoy clothes shopping, and I still like fashion, but it seems women of every size and shape are having a downright impossible time finding clothes that fit these days. One of these days we're all going to rebel and hunt down these designers with pitchforks and a tape measure

Old 12-27-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
I know, isn't that crazy! I am slender, but have an hourglass shape- 9.5 inch difference between waist and hips, and it's like they assume that if you have a slender waist, then you also have no hips to speak of. I'll pick up a pair of pants that look about the right size for my waist and then get in the dressing room and find that I can't pull them past my hips! I used to really enjoy clothes shopping, and I still like fashion, but it seems women of every size and shape are having a downright impossible time finding clothes that fit these days. One of these days we're all going to rebel and hunt down these designers with pitchforks and a tape measure
I can't imagine what size I would wear now if I still looked like I did then, -4? LOL! I have about 8 inches difference between my waist and hips and oh to make matters worse I'm only 5'4. I also have always had long arms but now most sleeves are so long it's like they are fitted on monkeys! I just had the sleeves on a blouse altered for about $30. That gets old after a while.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelongboatkey View Post
I can't imagine what size I would wear now if I still looked like I did then, -4? LOL! I have about 8 inches difference between my waist and hips and oh to make matters worse I'm only 5'4. I also have always had long arms but now most sleeves are so long it's like they are fitted on monkeys! I just had the sleeves on a blouse altered for about $30. That gets old after a while.
You know, it's funny you say that because I always thought I had crazy long arms as well, but it's true that sleeeves are always, always too long on my shirts- and don't get me started on winter coats! I tried on one a few months ago that fit fine everywhere else, but you couldn't tell I HAD hands!

I'm 5'4" as well, which as I understand is the average height, and I remember when I was younger I could almost always find a couple pair of pants right off the rack that were the perfect length- but that hasn't happened for years and years.

It's gotten to the point where I think getting my "investment" pieces (suits, timeless skirts and blouses, etc) custom made might actually be cheaper given the cost of alterations.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 PM

[quote=Mojo Riley;2346550]You know, it's funny you say that because I always thought I had crazy long arms as well, but it's true that sleeeves are always, always too long on my shirts- and don't get me started on winter coats! I tried on one a few months ago that fit fine everywhere else, but you couldn't tell I HAD hands!

Sweaters too, and you can't do anything about the sleeves but roll them. I'm loving the three quarter sleeve fad right now! I bought a sweater from J Crew earlier this month and it actually fits, sleeves and all.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:35 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,469,748 times
Well, here's my gripe for the day ...

I went out shopping today to see if I could find a new frock for New Year's Eve. Why does EVERYTHING have to be either strapless or with small spaghetti straps? What I am looking for is pretty simple, really - it's just that nobody seems to have it!!! I want something more covered up on top - can have mesh and sparkly bead work. Low back, form fitting through the bust and torso and flared, chiffon skirt. Don't need a train either! I don't want to look like everybody else on NYE. I'll brave it again tomorrow, but I think I may just end up wearing one of my competitive smooth or standard gowns for NYE. I will be going to a ballroom dance, so I guess I can wear a gown, but I sorta, kinda wanted to wear a "civilian" frock!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, here's my gripe for the day ...

I went out shopping today to see if I could find a new frock for New Year's Eve. Why does EVERYTHING have to be either strapless or with small spaghetti straps? What I am looking for is pretty simple, really - it's just that nobody seems to have it!!! I want something more covered up on top - can have mesh and sparkly bead work. Low back, form fitting through the bust and torso and flared, chiffon skirt. Don't need a train either! I don't want to look like everybody else on NYE. I'll brave it again tomorrow, but I think I may just end up wearing one of my competitive smooth or standard gowns for NYE. I will be going to a ballroom dance, so I guess I can wear a gown, but I sorta, kinda wanted to wear a "civilian" frock!
Did you try checking out any of the vintage boutiques? Sometimes you can really hit gold with something different. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:54 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,469,748 times
No, not too many of those around here. I did go to a couple of bridal shops after I got out of the mall though. I'm going out again tomorrow to hit some boutiques and if I can locate some vintage places not too far from me, I'll certainly check it out. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty