Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:08 AM

368 posts, read 928,970 times

Advertisements

So I stopped oral contraceptives this past June due to my cycles getting absolutely wacky and my skin, especially my face, just looks so much worse. I know the return of acne is common due to the increased androgens so I expected the oiliness but I didn't expect a million tiny bumps to appear on the right side of my face or dark circles or just a general sagginess to my skin. Everyone used to say how youthful I looked (when I was on the pill) and now I look far older than my 40's (in my opinion). Even the skin on my chest and stomach look a little saggier. Granted, I've lost a little weight due to change of diet and frankly, I think birth control constantly kept water weight on.

The benefits, however, to me getting off BCP is that my moods are more regular, I have more energy during the day, and I have a flatter lower belly. My body feels far more balanced (although I get serious night sweats now and have the A/C cranked much to DH's dismay) but my face! Yikes! I have a cystic pimple right now which I haven't had for years and with all the topical stuff I have, even prescription Differin, the skin is not improving.

Is there something natural I can take to get my hormones more balanced? I have IBS so I have to also be careful about what supplements to take. Don't suggest Biotin - I've tried Reservatrol with Biotin, I've tried Neo-Cell Collagen with Biotin, straight Biotin, in small and large doses, and it just makes painful pimples. I'm sensitive to most supplements as I discovered on the low FODMAP elimination plan I went through. I'm now avoiding foods that caused the worst stomach symptoms which also contributes to me feeling much better in general.

I *really* don't want to go back to BCP again even though I'm sorely tempted since uber-shiny acne-laden sagging skin is a real bummer.

Btw, I heard about SkinPen. Anyone use that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Talk to your doctor.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:33 PM

I should've mentioned that I already have and the dermatologist wanted to put me on spiralactone which ended up aggravating my IBS. That was supposedly my only shot. My hormones are balanced, no issues there according to my GP. Hence my search for a natural alternative...

Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Look into raw african black soap. Best product for acne ever.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:54 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Retin-a or tretinoin will help with both issues. Talk to your dr about it.

Wash your face with a something mild like cereve.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:13 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
When you lose weight, it takes a little while for your skin to tighten back up, if it's going to. Give it some time.

About bumps on the right side of your face, do you sleep with that side of your face on the pillow? My daughter has really oily skin right now and we've noticed that her face looks better if we change her pillowcase several times a week, I'm guessing because the oil from her face builds up on the pillowcase.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 PM

Hi Hedgehog Mom, I actually started doing that, washing my pillowcases several times per week just in case... BUT the bumps are on the side that's not on the pillow. I usually sleep on my left side and it's my right cheek that's covered in small bumps, blackheads they look like but tiny leading from my chin all the way up my cheekbone, almost in a straight diagonal line. I thought perhaps it might be holding the phone at work but I switched to a headset and I don't touch my face either, at least I try not to. It's very strange - I've tried salicylic acid, charcoal cleanser, Persa Gel, tea tree oil cleanser, and still can't get rid of them. And now I have a cystic bump that just won't go away either. Have no idea what happened to my face. The lower half of it has just gone nuts.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:45 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Hang in there! Been there - looked like Strawberry Shortcake.
Try to keep your hair out of your face, clean the headset every day, change pillow cases, towels, ... as often as possible.
Could the current weather in DFW have an impact on your problems? Mine are flaring up. 45F to 95F is not normal.
Hot flashes have an impact.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Hot flashes! I think I have that - not sure. My doctor said I wasn't pre-menopausal but still I practically bake at night if the A/C isn't cranked up. That's new for me. It doesn't take a lot for me to sweat these days. Usually these bumps are associated with lots of exercise and sweating, and now I just have them for no reason.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
So I stopped oral contraceptives this past June due to my cycles getting absolutely wacky and my skin, especially my face, just looks so much worse. I know the return of acne is common due to the increased androgens so I expected the oiliness but I didn't expect a million tiny bumps to appear on the right side of my face or dark circles or just a general sagginess to my skin. Everyone used to say how youthful I looked (when I was on the pill) and now I look far older than my 40's (in my opinion). Even the skin on my chest and stomach look a little saggier. Granted, I've lost a little weight due to change of diet and frankly, I think birth control constantly kept water weight on.

The benefits, however, to me getting off BCP is that my moods are more regular, I have more energy during the day, and I have a flatter lower belly. My body feels far more balanced (although I get serious night sweats now and have the A/C cranked much to DH's dismay) but my face! Yikes! I have a cystic pimple right now which I haven't had for years and with all the topical stuff I have, even prescription Differin, the skin is not improving.

Is there something natural I can take to get my hormones more balanced? I have IBS so I have to also be careful about what supplements to take. Don't suggest Biotin - I've tried Reservatrol with Biotin, I've tried Neo-Cell Collagen with Biotin, straight Biotin, in small and large doses, and it just makes painful pimples. I'm sensitive to most supplements as I discovered on the low FODMAP elimination plan I went through. I'm now avoiding foods that caused the worst stomach symptoms which also contributes to me feeling much better in general.

I *really* don't want to go back to BCP again even though I'm sorely tempted since uber-shiny acne-laden sagging skin is a real bummer.

Btw, I heard about SkinPen. Anyone use that?
My wife stopped taking oral contraceptives years ago. I've settled with condoms and it's ok for me. I much rather she be happier since the pill does kill her libido too so I much prefer she not have to take the pill for all of the cons with taking the pill. No complaint, I just have to do my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty