Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times

Advertisements

Is it an age related thing, a matter of looks, or something related with your personality. I honestly have trouble understanding the difference between what women refer to as "Cute" and "Handsome" guys.

So once again, where do you draw the infinitesimal line between these 2 terms. This is just to get a better understanding of the notation women use to express their ideas, nothing more. I've been called cute a couple dozen times, but never referred to as handsome. Is that saying something ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:26 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,187,535 times
Well, when I say handsome, it's usually toward an older guy, maybe with more rugged looks, or just more masculine in general.

I think Arnold Schwarzenegger is handsome.
I think Greg Kinnear is handsome

When I say cute, it's usually a guy who's.....more on the average side. Not downright attractive, but has something about him that's endearing, perhaps.

Like Darren Morfitt is cute. He's not too big. I just saw him as Spoon-in the film Dog Soldiers.

Last edited by HappyRain; 09-27-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 06:44 AM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Very simple:
Handsome: sophisticated, attractive and is a gentleman. Also has to do how a person carries and presents himself
Cute: reserved for kids and baby animals. A juvenile word I associate with Middle School when kids are speaking about crushes.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Very simple:
Handsome: sophisticated, attractive and is a gentleman. Also has to do how a person carries and presents himself
Cute: reserved for kids and baby animals. A juvenile word I associate with Middle School when kids are speaking about crushes.
Yeah, that is a perfect fit there. A more old-fashioned type of guy in his appearance, and how he seems to carry himself. I kinda think back to how men looked, maybe in the 50s-where it was more handsome, than the pretty boys we see alot.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 38,754 times
The same way men distinguish beautiful from cute I suppose?

Handsome I would think he's like 9/10, 10/10
Cute is like 7/10, 8/10

I rarely meet any cute guys, and if I do it's enough for me to swoon...
if I met a handsome guy I would probably think he's an asshat or player. But I haven't met a guy that I thought was handsome...

Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I honestly have trouble understanding the difference between what women refer to as "Cute" and "Handsome" guys.
And you will continue to not understand this because every woman has a different criteria for her definition of cute and handsome. What difference does it make if you get called one or the other? Either is better than being called ugly.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,222 times
I think it's the same thing as guys when they call girls cute. A girl can be cute and hot just like a guy can be handsome and cute.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And you will continue to not understand this because every woman has a different criteria for her definition of cute and handsome. What difference does it make if you get called one or the other? Either is better than being called ugly.
Criteria differ for women (just like men), but the general idea that there is a distinction between the 2 remains same.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,579 times
Handsome to me is a guy who looks modelesque... think Abercrombie & Fitch pretty boy model type, Johnny Depp. Their facial bone structure looks more angled and defined (usually rectangular or square face).

Cute to me refers to a guy who's cute, more relateable. He could be average looking, but also handsome to the person that digs him.

Cute isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I usually wouldn't call a handsome guy cute. I call him foiiine, and not really someone I'd want to date, because he's too pretty and maybe not as fun to be with cus he's appears too perfect and fragile.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I think it's the same thing as guys when they call girls cute. A girl can be cute and hot just like a guy can be handsome and cute.
Right. A woman who nudges her friend and says, "that cute guy over there is looking at you," doesn't mean it as an insult. It's a good thing. She's not likely to say, "that guy over there is ruggedly handsome."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty