Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:52 AM

84 posts, read 100,848 times

Advertisements

Finally relocating from a tropical paradise to the arctic... trying to put together a good warm wardrobe. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to cold, need recommendations from those with experience!

I already purchased a coat I feel confident about, now need everything else -- boots, gloves/mittens, scarves, base layers... any recommendations would be much appreciated (as specific as possible would be great if you can!).

What do you (ladies) wear on the bottom in below freezing temps? Jeans alone won't cut it for me, do you wear some type of stockings underneath your pants? Feedback on this would be great as well.

Thanks very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Well, man or Woman has to face the wild with a 5" thick puffer coat like this. Also make sure it has a mouth cover and seal straps for gloves. This is what I wear for 13 F (-11 C) and overcast:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2-dscn1333.jpg

Wear thermals under jeans, and dont care if stuff makes you look fat. At the end of the day, you need to be alive and that's what matters.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:01 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
When you say arctic, how literally do you mean that? What is your lifestyle like--will you be spending a lot of time in the elements waiting for a bus and walking around, or will you be going from house to car to destination without being outside all that much?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Well, man or Woman has to face the wild with a 5" thick puffer coat like this. Also make sure it has a mouth cover and seal straps for gloves. This is what I wear for 13 F (-11 C) and overcast:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2-dscn1333.jpg

Wear thermals under jeans, and dont care if stuff makes you look fat. At the end of the day, you need to be alive and that's what matters.
I agree, I see myself having to get a new jeans wardrobe because there's no way any of my skinny jeans would fit over thermals. The coat looks warm for sure; thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When you say arctic, how literally do you mean that? What is your lifestyle like--will you be spending a lot of time in the elements waiting for a bus and walking around, or will you be going from house to car to destination without being outside all that much?
Okay, I'll admit I'm being sarcastic when I say "arctic" -- it's not actually the arctic, it's Montana (by Canada border)... and that is honestly just about the same as arctic for me, being that I'm petrified of the cold.

My hope was to be "well equipped" enough in my clothes/gear to be able to enjoy outdoor activities and not feel like I have to be locked indoors the entire (long) winter. I won't have to commute for work, and it'll mostly be to/from the car, but it's beautiful up there and I'd like to be able to enjoy the scenery and go for walks when it isn't too iced over.

Main needs now are gloves, hats, scarves, thermals... snow boots as well. If you have recommendations for specific brands or even materials I should look for, I'd really appreciate it!

Old 09-27-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
Okay, I'll admit I'm being sarcastic when I say "arctic" -- it's not actually the arctic, it's Montana (by Canada border)... and that is honestly just about the same as arctic for me, being that I'm petrified of the cold.
I'm feeling cold just hearing that place . And just an FYI that Montana can get colder than Alaska in winter.

Here is an appropriate pic of what you could expect in winter .

Old 09-27-2014, 12:45 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
You get a little Rainman about the weather, don't you Adi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoley View Post
My hope was to be "well equipped" enough in my clothes/gear to be able to enjoy outdoor activities and not feel like I have to be locked indoors the entire (long) winter. I won't have to commute for work, and it'll mostly be to/from the car, but it's beautiful up there and I'd like to be able to enjoy the scenery and go for walks when it isn't too iced over.

Main needs now are gloves, hats, scarves, thermals... snow boots as well. If you have recommendations for specific brands or even materials I should look for, I'd really appreciate it!
I've got two coats--one lined wool coat for everyday wear, and one hooded down parka for when I'm going to be outside for a while. Some people swear by wool hats, gloves, scarves, etc. but it's too itchy for me. It's easier to throw cotton and fleece ones in the wash. A lot of it depends on your preference--I like earmuffs over a hat, gloves over mittens. The scarf is arranged to fill the gaps around my neck and block the cold that gets in behind the button/zipper placket, not just tied to look cute. You'll figure out your own system.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:45 PM

Yes, you see that -- I have every reason in the world to be freaked out!! And I am!

Just trying my best to prepare for it.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You get a little Rainman about the weather, don't you Adi?

I've got two coats--one lined wool coat for everyday wear, and one hooded down parka for when I'm going to be outside for a while. Some people swear by wool hats, gloves, scarves, etc. but it's too itchy for me. It's easier to throw cotton and fleece ones in the wash. A lot of it depends on your preference--I like earmuffs over a hat, gloves over mittens. The scarf is arranged to fill the gaps around my neck and block the cold that gets in behind the button/zipper placket, not just tied to look cute. You'll figure out your own system.
Yup, 72.5 % of my posts in CD are from the weather forum.

Well, considering that pittsburgh winter this year was the coldest I've ever experienced in my lifetime, I'd never venture to Montana. All I can say is, layer up with a well sealed hat and gloves . I'm glad to leave my coat back in NJ. Don't need it when winter is 55 and sunny .

Old 09-27-2014, 01:07 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
I would suggest investing in silk long underwear as well as some high performance under clothing meant for skiers, etc. The silk is very thin and can easily be worn under jeans as well as under longer skirts with high boots and surprisingly warm. They also sell winter tights for times you really can't wear long underwear. Get a tops and bottoms and learn to dress in layers. That means an undershirt, shirt sweater , vest , coat, as well as long underwear, tights and socks. Also remember to stay hydrated as winter can be just as dehydrating as excessive heat. Start getting in the practice of using moisturizer ALL the time - and make sure your clothing is soft as possible. A sweater that is a little scratchy in cool weather can be downright torture in freezing temps. A hat, or scarf that covers your head and neck will keep you warmer then you can imagine.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:09 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Panty hose, heavy duty or tights make nice not too bulky layers. Looks for items such as Cuddle Duds, doubles as cammi and you peel down to the last layer indoors. Good sun glasses, wrap around if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty