Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yup, I am going to say poor diet and no exercise. Probably becoming insulin resistant. It could also be thyroid or other hormonal issues. OP did not mention age, but if past menopause it is common for women to gain around the waist and stomach, even if otherwise a healthy weight.

I agree about ditching the form-fitting clothing! Long tunics are the most flattering for this issue.
I believe the OP said she's in her 20s, so she's too young for menopause. But, I understand the OP's issue completely because if I gain weight it is always in my stomach first. It SUCKS! But, no one has ever asked me if I am pregnant. I think I dress well to accentuate my best features. I definitely think the OP is likely to be insulin resistant and gluten intolerant. I was insulin resistant and am gluten intolerant. I changed my diet and the insulin resistance is gone. My stomach is definitely much flatter now, as well.

Tunics, on me at least, are hit or miss. I've got long legs and a shorter torso, so they generally don't work that well on me. I don't know, I guess I just haven't found the right ones. But, there are a lot of shirts at White House Black Market that hide things well. So, even if the OP cannot afford the clothes there, I think it's worth trying some of them on to see what shapes flatter her body and then buying similar items somewhere else. Or, just wait for them to go on clearance like I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 05:00 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Okay, this isn't a great picture, but to give you an idea...

This is totally disgusting. I feel like I need to start eating less, but I just got off of a diet not too long ago!
Attached Thumbnails
What causes the "when-is-the-baby-due" look?-picf.jpg  

Last edited by krmb; 10-01-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

This is totally disgusting. I feel like I need to start eating less, but I just got off of a diet not too long ago!
I think the issue is likely your posture and that you're wearing clothes that are too tight. It almost looks like you're leaning back in that picture. That, combined with the form fitting clothes, and it may look to some people as though you are putting a baby bump on display.

I definitely think that a shirt like the one I linked to above would look great on you. It looks like bloat to me (based on my own experience) so, I really think making some dietary changes could yield huge results.

Don't worry, there are definitely flattering clothes out there for you!

Old 10-01-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I think the issue is likely your posture and that you're wearing clothes that are too tight. It almost looks like you're leaning back in that picture. That, combined with the form fitting clothes, and it may look to some people as though you are putting a baby bump on display.

I definitely think that a shirt like the one I linked to above would look great on you. It looks like bloat to me (based on my own experience) so, I really think making some dietary changes could yield huge results.

Don't worry, there are definitely flattering clothes out there for you!
My stomach never really seems to do the same thing. I can lose bulk fast by not eating a lot, but I gain it back in a matter of days.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
My stomach never really seems to do the same thing. I can lose bulk fast by not eating a lot, but I gain it back in a matter of days.
That screams intolerance to me. I am the same way; one day I'm almost flat, the next my stomach will be 3" bigger. It's crazy. I really cannot recommend reading Wheat Belly enough.

But, for clothes, these are some other tops that I think would work well on you:

Tiered Floral Shell Top - White House | Black Market

Smocked Dolman Sleeve Blouse - White House | Black Market

As you can tell, I love that store, but you can certainly find similarly cut clothes at a lot of other stores.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,775 times
You have almost the exact same body type as my old best friend. She went on a pretty extreme diet/exercise regime to get thin, and still her belly wasn't really flat. Then she got pregnant. So much for that!

Might want to rule out health issues, but otherwise I don't think there's a lot you can do if that's your natural body shape. You don't have a lot of weight to lose in the first place, and if you are anything like my friend even extreme dieting won't change your body shape much.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:

No to dieting! You need to change your lifestyle. I also have an apple shape. I avoid simple carbs and stick to complex carbs. I avoid sugar. The only "sweets" I eat are fruit. Drink plenty of water, avoid soda, juice, and alcohol. And go exercise!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Any diabetes run in your family? That's good old belly fat. Escape is right -- eat whole grain bread, and don't eat tons of it, and go for complex carbs VS simple carbs -- white sugar, white rice are bad potatoes are good for you, but go lightly... and eat baked or chunked, not fried or chips.

More veggies than fruit. And portion control!

Old 10-02-2014, 02:24 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
This might be a gluten intolerance as people said above. Or dairy intolerance.

May also be Crones, IBS, ehlers-danlos, or something similar. You can have these for years w no other symptoms than bloat.

I would get checked out by a doctor.

In the meantime, consider a corset for slimming your stomach. It helps many not eat as much because they feel full when the tummy is tucked. It will also give you a more flattering silhouette.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
This might be a gluten intolerance as people said above. Or dairy intolerance.

May also be Crones, IBS, ehlers-danlos, or something similar. You can have these for years w no other symptoms than bloat.

I would get checked out by a doctor.

In the meantime, consider a corset for slimming your stomach. It helps many not eat as much because they feel full when the tummy is tucked. It will also give you a more flattering silhouette.
Do you have any recommendations for good corsets? This is really embarrassing. My stomach was a lot flatter a few weeks ago when I ended my diet. Now, it hardly seems like I went on one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty