Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 AM

27 posts, read 19,250 times

Advertisements

Just needed some imput. I bleached my hair over a year ago, and still recovering from that awful mess. So now, my once long hair is above my shoulders. Nothing cute, but its at least healthy. I had been trying to grow my hair long during all this bleaching...yeah right. So I've taken several steps back. Sigh

Problem is, my hair has always been my thing. My art. How I express myself, so needless to say, when it ruined it, I was more sad that I had to cut it. I've tried extensions...wasn't doing much for me. I'd prefer to stay natural.

Because its short already, I'm kinda tempted to just go all out and do like an angled Bob or something kinda edgy...so at least it's a style I can enjoy while it grows. But then I'd be cutting off even more...ugh haha. I also worry that short hair makes me look young and not as girly. I've been told my angle bobs in the past make me look like Victoria Beckham. ...is that good? Ha.

Thoughts? Should I rock it? Let it grow? What's your take on long vs short hair? Any crazy salon visits from HELL stories?! I'd love to hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK87 View Post
Just needed some imput. I bleached my hair over a year ago, and still recovering from that awful mess. So now, my once long hair is above my shoulders. Nothing cute, but its at least healthy. I had been trying to grow my hair long during all this bleaching...yeah right. So I've taken several steps back. Sigh

Problem is, my hair has always been my thing. My art. How I express myself, so needless to say, when it ruined it, I was more sad that I had to cut it. I've tried extensions...wasn't doing much for me. I'd prefer to stay natural.

Because its short already, I'm kinda tempted to just go all out and do like an angled Bob or something kinda edgy...so at least it's a style I can enjoy while it grows. But then I'd be cutting off even more...ugh haha. I also worry that short hair makes me look young and not as girly. I've been told my angle bobs in the past make me look like Victoria Beckham. ...is that good? Ha.

Thoughts? Should I rock it? Let it grow? What's your take on long vs short hair? Any crazy salon visits from HELL stories?! I'd love to hear!
Please, please, please do NOT do anything to your hair! By your post, I can tell you will regret it. Many years ago when I was a teen I ruined my long hair also by overbleaching. It was breaking and falling. I just dealt with it and let it grow out long and healthy while I kept it trimmed. I only had one other time in my life where I cut it short, and while it was cute at first, within two weeks I regretted it. Today I am 65 and still rocking my past-my-shoulders hair. I would urge you to think LONG AND HARD before you do anything to it.

Just my .02 cents.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times
I would bite the bullet and get a serious cut that gets rid of the bleached hair and start over. Short hair looks better than roots.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My advice would be to continue to cut off the damaged hair till it's gone. You may as well enjoy it while you're going through the process, so I say ROCK IT!

You may find a unique, artsy style that you absolutely love somewhere along your journey!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 AM

My hair is back to dark...no more bleaching. Thank goodness! It's hard finding someone I trust. These days, 1" seems to come out of my mouth as "hey chop off 4 inches!"

I realize it's just hair...but recovering from platinum blonde has taken over a year. Ready to feel happy about it again ;p

Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Good luck to you!

My hair is one of my best assets and I know how painful it is if something goes wrong with it.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:00 PM

367 posts, read 697,192 times
I say try something new and trendy. It will always grow back.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
I really messed up my hair once with bleach to the point that it was falling out by the handfuls. I had to cut it all off and let it grow back. It was a very traumatic experience--lots of tears.

I would advise you not to do anything drastic to it. Just keep it well conditioned and wear it in a ponytail a lot until it grows to a length that you like.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's hard to know what will work without photos. But if there is ANY damaged hair, you should trim that off.

Sometimes we have misconceptions about what makes us look older or younger. I remember seeing a makeover show once where a 40-year-old woman insisted on wearing her bleached hair in a slicked-back ponytail. She told everyone that it was like a facelift, pulling the skin on her face taut.

In reality, it made her look harsh. The stylist did cut her hair into layers that softened her face. He gave her a warmer color that did make her look younger and healthier.

Try to find a stylist you can talk to about your situation, and discuss your options. The right cut could do wonders.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:19 PM

Thanks ladies!

Is it just me, or do you wish you could shave your head and wear wigs based on your mood for the day? Haha. I normally wear it up when I'm at home in sweats all day. So come weekends for church, it's nice to actually blow dry it and feel human again. (My poor husband )

Yeah, my phase is over. I had super platinum on top, and almost black on the bottom layer. Looking back, it was too harsh. I had always wanted to try it, but dang. I do hair masks about once a week. Sally's Beauty always has awesome keratin treatments. I also take biotin with folic acid. Aparently, when taken together works really well not just on hair, but the glow on skin. I notice it in my nails. I have to cut them almost weekly because I play guitar. So, worst case scenario, it doesn't work, but it won't harm either. Isnt Biotin good for energy anyway? Sure could use some of that...

The Sally's employees know me by name now. I'm there all the time. Heck, I saved 8$ the other day with all the coupons I get! Haha. Again, its more of a hobby. With being into the Arts, I have a lot of fun with expressing myself with hair. Almost went to school for it...

Thanks for the replies. This is fun. I'm new to this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty