Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times

Advertisements

you didnt offend me

im just thinking about the op

thanks for your compliments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
As if an 18 year old even knows how to meet wealthy guys - or dress like they're rich.....

Yeah, it is sad....downright pitiful.
Well, they gotta start somewhere.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:09 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well, they gotta start somewhere.
At least she has ambitions

Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
She seems sweet, if slightly misguided. Come on, she's only 18! Cut her some slack and wish her well. We all learn through our mistakes and the school of hard knocks...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
id rather appear rich than poverty stricken. it's a proven fact that youre treated better by society if you dress well. i notice that i am offered help more quickly in stores if i am dressed well. i know it's not fair but it is the truth.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
id rather appear rich than poverty stricken. it's a proven fact that youre treated better by society if you dress well. i notice that i am offered help more quickly in stores if i am dressed well. i know it's not fair but it is the truth.
that's why I always dress nice when I travel... I think it's great for her to try to dress 'up', I just question how wise she is to want a rich guy just because he's rich. that's a mistake, imo.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 PM

141 posts, read 686,172 times
she would be better off worrying about her future education goals. 18 turns into 30 and then 45 quicker than you think and spending too much time trying to marry rich is a waste of time. People generally don't marry outside of their social and or income circles. She may be able to party with the rich guys and think she can marry one, but probably not. she would be better off working on creating her own wealth the old fashioned way and then possibly marry someone like herself to begin creating a new generation of wealth. Each generation builds upon the last to create wealth in a family line. I hope she matures and gains a better perspective on life. Learning to dress nice and be well groomed is a good start but not the end all be all.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
OP has started 2 threads on the Detroit site, one on how to meet wealthy guys, and one on how to fit in in Grosse Pointe, please go read them, then you will know why.....pretty sad in this day and age that an 18 year old feels that she has to be a goldigger.....
Good sleuthing!

I guess that I am only sad that at 18 she is trying to marry a wealthy guy already. At 18, I was more focused on college studies and dreaming of being a rock star, there were no thoughts of marriage in my mind. lol! So at 18, she should be thinking of maximizing her personal potential and not defining herself by the man she dates.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
she would be better off worrying about her future education goals. 18 turns into 30 and then 45 quicker than you think and spending too much time trying to marry rich is a waste of time.
Quote:
I guess that I am only sad that at 18 she is trying to marry a wealthy guy already. At 18, I was more focused on college studies and dreaming of being a rock star
I agree with the above post. Ifher intentions are to appear rich to attract a rich man, then her priorities are really messed up. How long does she think a superficial marriage will last. I hope this young girl is already enrolled in college. Once she has a degree and is making her own money, she will actually become wealthy in time on her own instead of appearing to be or living off of someone else's wealth.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Even my boyfriend commented how sad this situation is. Dressing up rich may get you an introduction, but after that, she won't have gone to the right schools or know any of the right families. Around me, all the rich young people go to the same prep schools and the better colleges. You can't cover up who you are inside or your roots. Her best investment would be to study hard in school and get top grades. People of all classes respect those who are smart, educated and pull their own weight financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty