U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:00 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,165 times

Advertisements

Ladies of the forum, what is your favorite brand of clothing for men to wear? In other words, what do you find most attractive on them?

This is for the age bracket of 20-30, but input from those under or over would be equally appreciated.

For the guys, what's your favorite clothing brand?

I ask this because at 20, I found myself yearning for another style. I was heavy into Abercrombie and American Eagle, but after I turned 20/21, it was a bit too "young" for me. Too many logos, too many holes, too much wear, etc. I switched to Banana Republic, and now at 23 years old, I'll never wear another brand. I love the minimalist style and the fabric. Very mature, very attractive. I also found myself wearing a different fragrance. I used to wear a more "young" smelling cologne, Fierce by Abercrombie, but after I smelled every teenager within a 5 miles radius wearing it, I stopped wearing it. Now I find myself with a cologne for the daytime (Burberry London), evening (Dolce and Gabanna) and for special occassions (Armani Code). It's funny how your fashion tastes change after a certain amount of time. I'm just wondering how many women enjoy a different style for men after a certain age, and how many guys decide it's time to hang up their Abercrombie when they get into their mid twenties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 AM

206 posts, read 604,057 times
I'm a male/29, and while I used to be an American Eagle or Hollister person, I found that once I got to be a young professional, I wanted to be taken more seriously by the people that I met, and that's just not happening in beat up denim and vintage muscle t's with a choker necklace.

So I switched my style over to boot cut denim with a light fade, and a button down modern fit/athletic dress shirt (While brand is a hell of a lot less important than how it fits you, stay away from ultra cheap clothing that falls apart in the wash). This look can be worn untucked for a club night or casual event, or tucked in with some khakis if you want to dress it up a bit. Have the shirts dry cleaned and pressed if they aren't wrinkle free. If I really want to add to the look, I'll take out my contacts and throw on my Prada eyewear and Bulova watch.

As for scents, it doesn't seem like any man can go wrong with Armani -Aqua Di Gio right now. But be forwarned, on any given club night I guarantee that at least 25% of the males under 30 will be wearing it, which just isn't cool. I have lately been wearing Hugo Boss or DKNY -Be Delicious.

Oh yeah, don't forget to shine your shoes... You do have shoes worth shining, right?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:46 AM

95 posts, read 433,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Now I find myself with a cologne for the daytime (Burberry London), evening (Dolce and Gabanna) and for special occassions (Armani Code). It's funny how your fashion tastes change after a certain amount of time. I'm just wondering how many women enjoy a different style for men after a certain age, and how many guys decide it's time to hang up their Abercrombie when they get into their mid twenties.
I had no idea there was a Burberry London for men. Will have to check that one out for my husband. I like that you have more than one scent. It sounds like you have great taste and are headed in the right direction. As for clothing style I do think it's nice to see change as you get older. I see men wearing their Beavis and Butthead t-shirts in their 40's & that is a little scarry. But I guess they should do whatever they are happy with.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post

As for scents, it doesn't seem like any man can go wrong with Armani -Aqua Di Gio right now. But be forwarned, on any given club night I guarantee that at least 25% of the males under 30 will be wearing it, which just isn't cool. I have lately been wearing Hugo Boss or DKNY -Be Delicious.
Every other dude within a 5 mile radius is wearing Aqua Di Gio. It's like "Fierce" was in High School for me. Don't get me wrong, ADG is a good cologne, but smelling like everyone else will probably get you ignored. One thing I've learned, women remember smell more than anything.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.andMrs.Krinkle View Post
I had no idea there was a Burberry London for men. Will have to check that one out for my husband. I like that you have more than one scent. It sounds like you have great taste and are headed in the right direction. As for clothing style I do think it's nice to see change as you get older. I see men wearing their Beavis and Butthead t-shirts in their 40's & that is a little scarry. But I guess they should do whatever they are happy with.
Hahah, I still love Beavis and Butthead, but even on my worst day I wouldn't wear a t-shirt. That's best left in secret.

Burberry London is a great scent for men. Very woodsy--a tiny bit heavy, but could be good for day or night wear. It's not overpowering, but it doesn't smell like anything I've ever smelled, which makes me like it even more. (Think cinnamon and leather) It should last a good 6-7 hours. I think Stage has it, and if you can't find it there, there are all kinds of places online.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
I love Hugo Boss.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 AM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
My favorite brand is whatever is cheapest. I don't trust a man who spends too much money on clothes or cares more about brands than I do! My boyfriend shops at Kohl's and Target and I'm more than pleased with that. He once bought a nice shirt from Armani Exchange thinking I would like the "nice, polished" look but I made him return it and get the same look from Kohl's for a 3rd of the price.

He wears some Armani cologne which might very well be Aqua di Gio, but only on special occasions. Guys don't need to wear cologne all the time, IMO. I prefer au naturale. I would rather he didn't wear any at all but it makes him feel grown up to throw on some cologne before going out to dinner so I acquiesce. :P

Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My favorite brand is whatever is cheapest. I don't trust a man who spends too much money on clothes or cares more about brands than I do! My boyfriend shops at Kohl's and Target and I'm more than pleased with that. He once bought a nice shirt from Armani Exchange thinking I would like the "nice, polished" look but I made him return it and get the same look from Kohl's for a 3rd of the price.
That's....silly. If he wanted something from Armani Exchange, why couldn't he have it? If he spent the money on it, especially since you aren't his wife, making him return something is silly. He should've kept it and told you to deal with it, unless you're the one that paid for it. I don't know why you wouldn't trust a man that cares about these kinds of things. Think he's gay? Think he's cheating or wants to leave you? Come on now. Both assumptions are those I would associate with a 15 year old.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 15,995,267 times
Quote:
That's....silly. If he wanted something from Armani Exchange, why couldn't he have it? If he spent the money on it, especially since you aren't his wife, making him return something is silly. He should've kept it and told you to deal with it, unless you're the one that paid for it. I don't know why you wouldn't trust a man that cares about these kinds of things. Think he's gay? Think he's cheating or wants to leave you? Come on now. Both assumptions are those I would associate with a 15 year old.
I think there are more important things in life than a $100 shirt. There's rent and bills to pay, car payments, and not to mention saving for the future. Maybe you have your college all paid for but he's had to work the past 5 years out of high school to save up for college and $100 for a shirt could buy several books.

Your assumptions I would associate with someone who's never had to worry about money before.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,585,112 times
Some of the scents by Burberry are nice

Quote:
Ladies of the forum, what is your favorite brand of clothing for men to wear? In other words, what do you find most attractive on them?

This is for the age bracket of 20-30, but input from those under or over would be equally appreciated.

For the guys, what's your favorite clothing brand?

I ask this because at 20, I found myself yearning for another style. I was heavy into Abercrombie and American Eagle, but after I turned 20/21, it was a bit too "young" for me. Too many logos, too many holes, too much wear, etc. I switched to Banana Republic, and now at 23 years old, I'll never wear another brand. I love the minimalist style and the fabric. Very mature, very attractive. I also found myself wearing a different fragrance. I used to wear a more "young" smelling cologne, Fierce by Abercrombie, but after I smelled every teenager within a 5 miles radius wearing it, I stopped wearing it. Now I find myself with a cologne for the daytime (Burberry London), evening (Dolce and Gabanna) and for special occassions (Armani Code). It's funny how your fashion tastes change after a certain amount of time. I'm just wondering how many women enjoy a different style for men after a certain age, and how many guys decide it's time to hang up their Abercrombie when they get into their mid twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty