Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dress/skirt wearing frequency
5x a week or more 19 18.63%
A few times a week 20 19.61%
Weekly 7 6.86%
Less than weekly 29 28.43%
Never 27 26.47%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

I saw an article about teen fashion trends and leggings won by a landslide. It amazed me more how low skirts and dresses were on the list. Like 3%.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lulul...-teens-2014-10

So how often do you wear skirts and dresses. Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
VERY rarely. Why? I feel restricted, like the slightest thing, wind, sitting wrong and my butt or panties will be out. Seems like when I sit, and have to keep my legs glued together to avoid looking inappropriate. Just always seemed like a hassle.

So, I wear skirts maybe once a year if I had to give an average, hell I rarely wear shorts-but with the latter I am self-conscience about my legs.. I just overall prefer pants for more movement and relaxation.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 PM

Oops, i forgot to answer.

I wear skirts and dresses pretty much all the time. More dresses than skirts. There are a couple of reasons:
1. Dress = instant outfit
2. Skirts and dresses look better on me in general
3. They are way easier fit wise than pants*

I went to the mall over the weekend and tried on some pants at the Ann Taylor outlet. I found one pair of pants that fir pretty well but it wasn't a useful color for my wardrobe and there were no helpful colors. I was lamenting about pants fit with one of the workers. Generally speaking I need "curvy" cut pants - I am sort of pear shaped. More hips, less butt and, I do have bigger thighs.* So basically skinny pants and lycra are my best friend. In 3 decades of shopping I have yet to find pants that fit my thighs. This has been a problem since roughly elementary school, and definitely middle school.

Nothing looks dumber than a pair of trousers that are snug in the thigh and loose below the knee. Pants that are snug the whole way down do not look crazy! I'd need to go up like 2 sizes to get proper fitting wide legged trousers and that would open a huge can of alteration woes.

So i stick to skirts/dresses and pants that are fine to be tight in the leg!

My shopping trip netted 2 cute dresses.

*I get it from my mama

Old 10-12-2014, 11:43 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
I wear skirts and dresses at least 3 times a week.. I love the feeling of rayon and cotton nicely cut and taylored. And, I agree- a dress is an instant outfit, especially a simple black dress!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Depends on the season..in summer/spring, I wear them maybe once or twice a week...in winter, hardly ever.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:14 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
With my petite size and small boobs, its hard finding a dress without worrying about my boobs falling out. Sure the men wouldn't care, but.... I rarely ever wear skirts either. It gets COLD in Michigan. I dress for comfort and climate. The only times I ever wear one is to weddings, baby/wedding showers, anywhere formal

Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
With my petite size and small boobs, its hard finding a dress without worrying about my boobs falling out. Sure the men wouldn't care, but.... I rarely ever wear skirts either. It gets COLD in Michigan. I dress for comfort and climate. The only times I ever wear one is to weddings, baby/wedding showers, anywhere formal
What???

a) go to ROSS, they have tons of cute dresses for boobs and no boobs.
b) wear a push up. And / or a tight little top underneath.
c) you can adjust the dresses and use either little pins or have to sew a little.

Dresses look really nice on people with small boobs.

I wear dresses all the time. Tight and not tight ones. So comfy and nice looking.

often I throw a little cardigan/vest over it when I go to work, if the dress is revealing too much. Turns a sexy look into a cute and professional look.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
What???

a) go to ROSS, they have tons of cute dresses for boobs and no boobs.
b) wear a push up. And / or a tight little top underneath.
c) you can adjust the dresses and use either little pins or have to sew a little.

Dresses look really nice on people with small boobs.

I wear dresses all the time. Tight and not tight ones. So comfy and nice looking.

often I throw a little cardigan/vest over it when I go to work, if the dress is revealing too much. Turns a sexy look into a cute and professional look.
100% agreed! Also most are cut for people with small to medium breasts too.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I didn't vote because I'd have to average it out. It is rare that I wear skirts during the winter and even rare to wear a dress. Once spring has warmed up some I'll wear skirts. Dresses are pretty much exclusive to summer. I'm a big chicken when it comes to cold weather.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
100% agreed! Also most are cut for people with small to medium breasts too.

This is true, when you're bigger on top it's hard to find a dress that fits. A lot of dresses end up with a really high waist on me and then look like maternity clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty