Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People can identify however they want, but our society is going to place you into a box based on your appearance.

J.Lo and Rosie Perez are both puerto rican, yet Rosie played "black characters" quite often in her career.

One of my friends is black and latina. If you ask her, she'll tell you all about both sides of her ancestry. But if she walks by you aren't going to call her latina.

My japanese american friend married a chinese american guy and they have a daughter. Her daughter is mixed, but you'd call her asian. Middle Easten people and North Africans technically check the white box on the census, but we don't perceive them as such.

If you haven't noticed, the only people who do not get to choose to be "mixed" or "biracial" etc are part black, directly or indirectly. In our Americancaste system, being blsck is at the bottom, and it pays to distance yourself. But black is black in our society, and at some point something happens to make you aware of it.
And that it is part of the problem right there. Latina/Latino is NOT a race. Latinos can be of any race.

Your friend could be 100% Latina and look like how she does.

And Puerto Rican is not a race. JLo and Rosie Perez are of mixed ancestry of African, European, Native American and lord knows what else. So following your logic and claims, Jennifer Lopez and Rosie Perez are BLACK women. YOU CANNOT have it both ways.

This is actor Faizon Love. His real name is Langston Faizon Santisima and he was born on June 14, 1968 in Santiago de Cuba, Cuba to Cuban parents. He is 100% Hispanic/Latino. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race and/or any religion and can have any skin color or phenotype:

http://minasaywhat.com/wp-content/up...aizon_love.jpg

Last edited by SobreTodo; 10-27-2014 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
This is true. That's why J. Cole (rapper, who is biracial) says he calls himself black. He can't pull the white card if he's pulled over by the police.

Fact is, Halle is such a "beautiful" black woman (according to politically correct white folks who wanna seem open minded).
Halle Berry is cute, but she is not necessarily all that. She can still get it though

Old 10-27-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, would they be white before or after being lynched?

And Halle sure is black (as is Alicia Keys) when white guys are playing politically correct by calling her a beautiful black woman. So ironic lmao Most people will consider someone who is half black, to be just that.

if a white person tries to bring a biracial person home, they have to warn their families.
What about George Zimmerman? What about Mariah Carey? Would you consider them to be black?

What about Daddy Yankee or Rosie Perez? What about Irene Cara? Do you consider these people as black too?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Halle Berry is cute, but she is not necessarily all that. She can still get it though
No, she's average. But if it makes you feel politically correct, continue to live in a world of delusions.

Like I said, no wonder racism exists. people rather play blind than to acknowledge reality

Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This is true. That's why J. Cole (rapper, who is biracial) says he calls himself black. He can't pull the white card if he's pulled over by the police.

Fact is, Halle is such a "beautiful" black woman (according to politically correct white folks who wanna seem open minded).
Do you have a source that shows that J Cole identifies as black? He mentions how he grew up with his white mother and he was born in Germany! I know that he has called himself mixed and mulatto.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:

And Halle sure is black (as is Alicia Keys) when white guys are playing politically correct by calling her a beautiful black woman. So ironic lmao Most people will consider someone who is half black, to be just that.

if a white person tries to bring a biracial person home, they have to warn their families.
Many whites were lynched too.

And look up legal history of the color line. Mixed has historically been it's own separate racial group. Many U.S. Presidente have had black and other of color ancestries in their gene pools allegedly.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure why some certain WHITE ppl are politically correct or any group of people are politically correct.

There are many white people that have fetishes for black men and women.

Many whites are obsessing over Kerry Washington.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Do you have a source that shows that J Cole identifies as black? He mentions how he grew up with his white mother and he was born in Germany! I know that he has called himself mixed and mulatto.
J. Cole Talks About Colorism in Hip-Hop and the White House - COLORLINES
Quote:
I can identify with White people, because I know my mother, her side of the family, who I love. I’ve had White friends. I know people from high school that I might not have hung out with outside of high school, but I think I got to know them pretty well, so I know they sense of humor. But at the end of the day, I never felt White. I don’t know what that feels like. I can identify. But never have I felt like I’m one of them. Not that I wanted to, or tried to, but it just was what it was. I identify more with what I look like, because that’s how I got treated. Not necessarily in a negative way. But when you get pulled over by the police, I can’t pull out my half-White card. Or if I just meet you on the street, you’re not gonna be like, This guy seems half-White.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why some certain WHITE ppl are politically correct or any group of people are politically correct.

There are many white people that have fetishes for black men and women.

Many whites are obsessing over Kerry Washington.
No one is obsessing over Kerry Washington, and it's more likely for a woman to fetishize black men, than for a man to fetishize a black woman. Sorry to burst your bubble, yellow fever is the in thing for the creepy white guys, not jungle fever.

And talking about whites who were lynched is genuinely reaching, which leads me to believe you aren't being serious with any of this. Only a white person would deny the fact that the 1 drop rule exists and pretend to play dumb about it

Old 10-27-2014, 10:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Quote:
People can identify however they want, but our society is going to place you into a box based on your appearance.
To some extent but our society is also becoming more open to and more aware of the concept of biracial and multiracial people, and I like to encourage that enlightened perspective. So do my kids.

Quote:
J.Lo and Rosie Perez are both puerto rican, yet Rosie played "black characters" quite often in her career.
Really? How do you know she wasn't playing a biracial woman? I mean, did she wear a sign stating "I am now playing a BLACK CHARACTER?" Or did you just assume that her character was "black" rather than "biracial" or "multiracial?"

Not that that even matters all that much. Many character actors play different roles racially. Take Ben Kingsley for example. He's played all sorts of "races." This proves nothing.

Rosie Perez is Puerto Rican. I can only speak for myself, but I've never categorized her as black OR white. She's not one or the other.

Quote:
One of my friends is black and latina. If you ask her, she'll tell you all about both sides of her ancestry. But if she walks by you aren't going to call her latina.
Well, you're probably right about that. Nor would I call her black. Why would I need to call her either one of those labels? If the need arose, I'd ask her how she self identified.

Quote:
My japanese american friend married a chinese american guy and they have a daughter. Her daughter is mixed, but you'd call her asian. Middle Easten people and North Africans technically check the white box on the census, but we don't perceive them as such.
No - YOU'D call her Asian I guess. I wouldn't call her anything but a cute baby. They're an American family - I wouldn't feel compelled to put any other sort of identity on them unless THEY brought it up or seemed to think it was important.

Quote:
If you haven't noticed, the only people who do not get to choose to be "mixed" or "biracial" etc are part black, directly or indirectly.
Yeah, you're right again - I HADN'T noticed, and that's because in my world, it's simply not true. I know all sorts of mixtures of people, including black but also all other sorts of combinations and there's simply not some weird out, wigged out response to ANY of their claims of being biracial or multiracial. It's just not a biggie around here or frankly anywhere I've lived.

[quote][In our Americancaste system, being blsck is at the bottom, and it pays to distance yourself. But black is black in our society, and at some point something happens to make you aware of it./QUOTE]

I think this is pretty melodramatic. That being said, my oldest daughter DID call me a few years ago (when she was about 30) and she asked me, "Mom, am I black?" Apparently her pastor had asked her if she would go speak to a group of "black women at a black church" as part of a multicultural activity in her community. He said she would be a "positive role model for young black women," and it really caught her off guard for a number of reasons. Mainly because she attends a very racially diverse church and in all her years of activity in the church, the topic of race had truly never come up.

So I told her to go speak to the group at the other church and then get back with me and tell me whether or not she was black!

We had a good laugh about that later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty