Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:09 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times

Advertisements

From a scientific perspective, showering too much absolutely does strip your skin of the oils your body is producing to protect itself as well as stripping your skin of healthy bacteria and other healthy flora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:03 PM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
I never in my life bathed more than once a week, except for showering off each time after going into a swimming pool and sometimes a lake.

I prefer baths, but I do use the shower to wash off the soap after a bath and to rinse out my hair.

Why shower or bathe daily if it's not necessary? I usually only bathe when I can smell my armpits with my nose about 4 inches or more away from my armpits. Sometimes I can go up to a little over a month without bathing.

I don't use soap on my face which I wash daily, sometimes twice daily, and I only use soap on my hands after I get back home from anywhere or my hands got noticeably dirty from working on something oily, greasy and/or dirty. Otherwise I just wash my hands with water.

I use castille bar soap for soap and as a shampoo, and baking soda for my hands after dirty work.

I tried the no soap/water only thing for my hair for a long while, and I liked how my hair would stay however I styled it (I mess it up like I just woke up in an alley) and how stringy it got if I didn't brush it, but I noticed my scalp itches much less and few hair strands fall out when I keep my hair clean using soap and keep my scalp dry. I don't like how my hair tends to want to become a puff ball when clean & dry, but at least it can still be made messy and isn't making me feel like it's thinning like it seemed to be when I wasn't washing all the oil out. The castille soap doesn't make my hair as dry as shampoos but dry enough.

There's no need for me to bathe or shower right after a sweaty bike ride nor to use deodorant. I get by washing my face & forehead with plain water, wiping my armpits with paper towels, changing my t-shirt, changing my socks, applying baking soda to my armpits, and putting baking soda in my shoes. If the sweating was profuse, I then also change my outer shirt and boxers.

Thankfully, I don't know what funk smell after sex is because I don't do sex (asexual).

Maybe other people can smell odors on me, but nobody complains, and even if they would I really wouldn't care. Most people don't care about their overuse of cologne, perfume, lack of rinsing most of the laundry detergent out of their clothes, use of smelly & toxic fabric softeners, etc, and a lot of the apparently incontinent elderly people don't seem to care about smelling like urine, so why should I care if people don't like any mild sweat smells emanating from me?

Old 11-03-2014, 06:20 AM

29,480 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Can't believe the hygiene of some of the posters here. I shower and wash my hair at least once a day, in the heat of the summer sometimes twice. On occasion I have skipped a day but that is very rare.
Just because you don't think you smell others might. I for one definitely call out people that have bad BO. I shouldn't have to smell someone elses offensive odor, just like I wouldn't do that to someone else.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:37 PM

436 posts, read 421,006 times
I haven't regularly used shampoo since about 2006-ish. I mean... I do use it, but not very often. Sometimes hair gets dirty - like if I go into the city, or if I'm cooking with something funky, or after getting sweaty. One of those V05 bottles lasts me about six months or even longer sometimes. Whenever I go to get my hair cut, they always tell me my hair is super healthy, and to keep doing whatever I'm doing. I have thick, sort of wavy hair halfway down my back - it would either look frizzy or super oily - nothing in between - when I shampooed regularly. I had to use ethnic hair stuff to get it to look even halfway decent, and it would take at least 2 hours to style nicely. Now I just spend... maybe half an hour a week on it, usually Sunday nights. I'll wash it with water and then flat iron it with a bit of argon (?) oil, and that's about it.

re: bathing - I bathe (not shower) daily, sometimes even twice. (It gets cold here in the winter and only a hot bath really warms me up!) I only use soap maybe once a week or so, though... I don't stink. I do use deodorant daily, though. I need it. And I don't use anything on my face except for water. Back in college I did use this little foamy thing which was kind of awesome, maybe I should get that again... but any kind of lotion or cleanser or anything stings my skin. So, just water works.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I don't wash my hair daily and never have. It's long and daily washing causes it to be dry. I usually wash it every other day I and I do use shampoo.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Those of us that workout 4-6 times per week....probably not the best idea. I smell like onions and straight funk after each workout.
Agreed. After runs, I am drenched in sweat, suncreen, bugspray, etc. It's not a pleasant smell.

Anyone who doesn't bathe daily should be shot. Don't agree with me? Sit between two of them on a trans-pacific flight and you'll come around.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 PM

210 posts, read 238,876 times
I shower once a week, apply coconut oil for deodorant, and shampoo my hair every other week. My hair does not get greasy. If I work out or have sex (cuz ya, ewwe), I rinse off in the shower but don't use soap.

I don't stink.

Most people are being duped and the cosmetic and beauty industry is laughing their way to the bank.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Shampoo makes my hair dry and frizzy. I hate it.

My sister would argue that conditioners are not good for males and that we should stick with shampoos. Ukh!...

Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Shampoo makes my hair dry and frizzy. I hate it.

My sister would argue that conditioners are not good for males and that we should stick with shampoos. Ukh!...
Shampoos did worse to me--over time they made my scalp extremely itchy with dandruff. I found out it was the sodium laurel sulfate in it. Evidently, sodium laurel sulfate is a sensitizer. My theory is that shampoo manufacturers put the SLS in the shampoos to cause scalps to become sensitive so scalps produce oil sooner between washings and consumers feel the need to shampoo more often.

It took a while, but over time of using simpler soaps, such as castille soap, that aren't laden with chemicals, my scalp health dramatically improved. I found that even using no soap/only water was way better than the SLS shampoos, but now I use simple castille soap.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Agreed. After runs, I am drenched in sweat, suncreen, bugspray, etc. It's not a pleasant smell.

Anyone who doesn't bathe daily should be shot. Don't agree with me? Sit between two of them on a trans-pacific flight and you'll come around.
It can't be done as my odoriferous stench fumes act as an invisible force field.

Seriously, I don't sweat much unless the weather is hot and/or I do strenuous exercise (such as cycle up steep hills), and the baking soda I use under my armpits and in my shoes prevent them from smelling... for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty