Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Adidas Superstar II. Look 'em up!
Got mine at Kohl's for about $50 recently.
The kind of lowtop shoe that late 1970's NBA guys wore (and RunDMC). Clamshell rubber toe, white leather, black adidas stripes. A great all-around shoe. Good for pickup basketball, or for pick-up truck fixing, or to pickup some cold ones at the corner store.
Looks classy, not like today's basketball moon-boots. retro but not outdated. LOVE it. And you can abuse them forever and they're just great. And if not on the court, they're the perfect go-to sneaker with jeans.
adidas Superstar 2.0 Shoes | adidas US
I love those shoes. They were the counterpart of the white leather Puma Basket. I was a big fan of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Adidas Superstar II. Look 'em up!
Got mine at Kohl's for about $50 recently.
The kind of lowtop shoe that late 1970's NBA guys wore (and RunDMC). Clamshell rubber toe, white leather, black adidas stripes. A great all-around shoe. Good for pickup basketball, or for pick-up truck fixing, or to pickup some cold ones at the corner store.
Looks classy, not like today's basketball moon-boots. retro but not outdated. LOVE it. And you can abuse them forever and they're just great. And if not on the court, they're the perfect go-to sneaker with jeans.
adidas Superstar 2.0 Shoes | adidas US
Nice, I'll look into it. Ive always wanted to try out Adidas. I'm more of a Nike, New balance, or FILA dude, but want a change this time.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
I find skate shoes to be the most durable for me, because they're built to be beat on. And since I don't skate, my shoes last me a good 3 years before they are shifted to another few years of yard work/slip on/auto repair duty.

And that's years of snowy, salty, muddy, rainy, dirty, Canadian winter, spring, summer, fall.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I find skate shoes to be the most durable for me, because they're built to be beat on. And since I don't skate, my shoes last me a good 3 years before they are shifted to another few years of yard work/slip on/auto repair duty.

And that's years of snowy, salty, muddy, rainy, dirty, Canadian winter, spring, summer, fall.
Agreed. Any of the more traditional looking suede Vans are a good choice.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 AM

68 posts, read 79,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So, sandals are out and sneaker season has started.
Not for me. I'm still wearing flip flops or espadrilles.

Quote:
But I just found out that the only pair of sneakers I own, has a badly damaged sole. I almost fell while walking with it today.
Try to fix them with shoe glue ...

Quote:
I seriously need a pair of sneakers, one which isn't too expensive (around $40), and lasts for 2-2.5 years. without major damage. Any suggestions on what to buy ?
As others wrote here, you won't get shoes lasting so long for $40. But does it matter? You can get cheap shoes that last for about a year (longer if you don't mind wearing shoes slightly ripped or alike).

I like the Vans slip ons. Leightweight, easy to put on and comfortable. But I'm too cheap to buy shoes right now.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Find something specifically made for trail running. These shoes tend to hold up better.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:34 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
If you only need them for about a year at a time with light use, you could get some at Payless for maybe $30. Some of them can be surprisingly comfortable even if they won't hold up very long under running or basketball.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I usually buy a pair of "daily" work shoes about once every two years. Just a basic walking all black leather sneaker to wear at work. I probably walk around a mile a day just wearing them, so it depends on what your "normal daily" wear would be.

I usually spend around $50 each time. Always buy a major brand like New Balance, Nike, etc. They last about 2 years.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I swear by Nikes because if it can last a whole year with my kids, you know they are good quality. They are rough with them and play in rec with them obviously every day. I got a pair of Nike running shoes that are great all around and expect them to last me 5+ years. Cross-training ones are good too.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
As a senior citizen, I've noticed that my feet need more support. Finding cheap good supporting shoes is quite a challenge. What I recently discovered is that adding padded inserts into your shoes is a great way to upgrade the support and padding. After we wear athletic shoes, the support and "springiness" declines. After I wear them for a year or so, they really start to hurt my feet. Try some of these inserts, and it might add some comfort. I also found that New Balance has their own stores that specialize in fitting people with foot problems. Give them a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty