Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Ex....cel....lant!
thanks sweetie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i dont know that id agree with all of that. For example, a person can have an opinion of what they believe to be "right" due to upbringing, religious views, breeding purposes, whatever) but that doesnt make the person sheltered or mean they have insecurities; it simply means they have an opinion (which we are all entitled to have).

" MOST people don't care about other people's relationships. You gonna have to be a real loser to live your own life based on other people's relationships." Well then i guess theres a lot of losers out there because i see and hear of it being done a lot. Or heck even a variation of that can be seen here quite commonly (people who act and dress solely on how others will treat them or their chances of benefiting sexually from it).

I DO however agree totally with your last comment.
I understand the bolded. However, you can have an opinion but you cannot be judgmental.

For example, My brother married an older woman. The reaction he gets from SOME Of his so called friends are the following

a. why or why?
b. she must be really good in bed
c. you are really dumb

These are their "OPINIONS", but opinion is like "you know what", everybody gets one. Opinion may or may not be the truth.

Seem with men date larger girls. Everybody has preference.

If you say "Men with larger girls don't have other options." Yes, it is pretty safe to assume that this person is either very judgmental or live a very sheltered life. I know a lot of men who like naturally large women. These men are good looking, successful, healthy, well educated. So these judgmental folks should just go out more, see the world, talk to more people. They will soon or later realize the judgmental little world they are living in only hurts themselves, not others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Not just larger women. I believe this prejudice exists against all women who fail to meet the contemporary standards of beauty for whatever reason. But I have to say it never ceases to amaze me what men who are NOT that good looking themselves, let alone well-groomed and well-dressed, think they deserve in a mate.
Truer words were never spoken. However, it cuts both ways. In my friends and others, I have talked to them after they are single and lonely from divorce or whatnot. They tell me they want the "perfect guy/woman." They want them to have a great job, nice house, nice car, fantastic manners, hot body, no kids (usually), no hangups, etc, etc, etc. . . I then ask them, "But what do you have to offer them in return?" Not so much. But generally, the women are less concerned about physical appearance than the men are.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM

919 posts, read 845,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I guess this question is tied into the whole issue of whether society looks down on larger women in general, but this thread is about society's perceptions of men who date larger women. By "larger" I mean larger than themselves. I am not dealing with the issue of large men dating large women. More so thin men who date large women.

I think society looks down on men who do this because it implies the man couldn't "do better" and it doubly implies that a larger woman doesn't deserve a man who is thinner. So both are seen kind of "at fault". I also think that society probably assumes that the man couldn't possibly be sexually attracted to his larger partner, so he must be just dating her because he's alone and has many other issues that a thinner woman couldn't overlook. I feel it's more likely for men to think this about other men but I feel maybe women could think that, too. I am not sure about female opinion on the matter. Do some women think a guy who has dated a large woman is not dateable?

I also feel there *might* be a double standard when it's the other way around. Like if a larger guy has a thin woman, both men and women cheer him on, but when a larger woman has a thin man, the man is seen as the loser and the woman is given no credit.

These are my theories. I'm not saying society is "right" for doing this, I'm just pointing out possible theories. What are your thoughts, O diverse opinionated people of city-data?
I am going to be a bit un-PC here.
People should not, but they do. A man is judged in a large part by his arm-candy so if she is large or ugly, his status is lowered. Mostly in men's eyes - for men, a woman's beauty is far more important. And for the last 50 years (at least), thinner women are supposed to be more beautiful. Men's looks don't matter as much as their wallets.
A woman is judged based on her own beauty, not her man's. Men don't care about her companion. Women might, if he is spectacularly ugly or old.
I'd like to clarify that this is not how I think - I am average size, married a larger woman who is funny, nice and intelligent. Far more importantly, more cushion for the pushin.

Last edited by cfa-ish; 11-06-2014 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 PM

240 posts, read 238,999 times
Quote:
I guess this question is tied into the whole issue of whether society looks down on larger women in general, but this thread is about society's perceptions of men who date larger women. By "larger" I mean larger than themselves. I am not dealing with the issue of large men dating large women. More so thin men who date large women.

I think society looks down on men who do this because it implies the man couldn't "do better" and it doubly implies that a larger woman doesn't deserve a man who is thinner. So both are seen kind of "at fault". I also think that society probably assumes that the man couldn't possibly be sexually attracted to his larger partner, so he must be just dating her because he's alone and has many other issues that a thinner woman couldn't overlook. I feel it's more likely for men to think this about other men but I feel maybe women could think that, too. I am not sure about female opinion on the matter. Do some women think a guy who has dated a large woman is not dateable?

I also feel there *might* be a double standard when it's the other way around. Like if a larger guy has a thin woman, both men and women cheer him on, but when a larger woman has a thin man, the man is seen as the loser and the woman is given no credit.

These are my theories. I'm not saying society is "right" for doing this, I'm just pointing out possible theories. What are your thoughts, O diverse opinionated people of city-data?
"Society" looks down on both, very sad

Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 PM

2,807 posts, read 6,414,385 times
The PC answer would be "Of course not. Who in their right mind would think like that?", but the truth is that when people see a ripped guy with an obese woman or even a slightly overweight woman, a lot of them will ask themselves questions, especially his male peers.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM

4,542 posts, read 5,366,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Imo, I think other men look down on some men that date larger women.
I have to say that I think friends of men who date larger women tend to look down on them and ask for explanation as to "WHY?". For the most part, I dont think most men really care when they see a man out and about with a larger woman. But when its their friend/bud/pal/homie that does they are like "Dude?!?!?! What is up with that?"

Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,022,588 times
Also, at what point is a woman considered large? Melissa McCarthy? Meghan Trainor? Adele? I feel like this will vary.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:09 PM

919 posts, read 845,638 times
Quote:
Also, at what point is a woman considered large? Melissa McCarthy? Meghan Trainor? Adele? I feel like this will vary.
Size 16 and higher. In US.
Adjust for country, ethnicity, height, etc.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:10 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,770,031 times
What "society" are you people living in?

I never give one thought to what "society" is thinking about anything I do... or how I look... or who I have sex with. If I'm happy with my life, what do I care what "society" thinks?

Old 11-06-2014, 04:11 PM

22,415 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
The PC answer would be "Of course not. Who in their right mind would think like that?", but the truth is that when people see a ripped guy with an obese woman or even a slightly overweight woman, a lot of them will ask themselves questions, especially his male peers.
The OP makes no mention of a ripped guy... simply that he is thinner than the woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty