Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,878,786 times

Advertisements

I am a leg-man and I have always had a problem with cankles...

Well recently several women have told me I am completley shallow because I think its a turn-off. They have told me that I am being overly critical and mean. But I just think its a preference...

So why is that considered shallow compared to having any other preference like hair color, height, weight, ethnicity, etc?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 PM

223 posts, read 281,910 times
*shrugs* You're allowed to have any preference you want.

How do the 'several women' know you think that is a turn off? There's a difference between having a preference quietly and being rude about it. I prefer men at least 5'11" (over 6' feet is better for me), not obese (a bit of extra weight is fine, but having no definition in the face and body because of excess fat is not), and not going bald. However, I don't go announcing this to the general public. When I was dating, there would be no reason for the man to know why I was turning him down for a date, (or turning down a friend to be "fixed up" with their family member/co-worker/friend). I could have turned him down for his looks, could have turned him down for his demeanor and personality, could have turned him down because he smoked or drank too much....only I knew.

Not everyone thinks I am attractive. I don't think everyone out there is attractive. That's natural. But no point in being a jerk about it.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,351,141 times
The first thing I notice on a woman is her fingernails.

True story.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,728,423 times
It's only shallow if we have to hear about it. Choose a woman for her lack of cankles if you need to, just don't tell your female friends about your turn-offs. We only want to hear about turn-offs from gay male friends. The straight ones are being pigs when they talk about picking partners for their appearances

(by the way, I hope you can detect the tone of friendly sarcasm here)

Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
My husband is a foot man. AFTER we met and began dating, and he began to tell me what attracted him to me, he "confessed" that he loves my feet and my hands. He NEVER would have said that while we were casually dating or getting to know each other.

I did get a kick though out of him telling me that it's the first thing he notices on women. I was sure glad that I had paid attention to my pedicure that particular evening!

To this day, he remarks about women's hands and feet to me all the time - something that i simply don't notice. For instance, we may run into someone or get into a conversation with them and after we get in the car, he will say, "Wow, did you notice her thumbs? They were freaking me out." Or I will say, "I think so and so is so cute," and he will say, "But she's got weird looking toes - I couldn't handle that!"

I think it's funny - but it's also something that's our little secret. No need to hurt anyone's feelings. After all, what is a big deal to him may not be a big deal to someone else at all.

For instance, I have a good friend who has cankles. Of course, I never mention it, and of course my husband has noticed it and it makes him sort of sick. But guess what - my friend has met many men over her lifetime who LOVE her legs and cankles. Some of them WANT HER TO SHOW THEM OFF and consider them a huge turn on. I can't understand it, but good for her and good for them. She feels great about her cankles and who are we to burst her bubble? It works for her.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,630,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I am a leg-man and I have always had a problem with cankles...

Well recently several women have told me I am completley shallow because I think its a turn-off. They have told me that I am being overly critical and mean. But I just think its a preference...

So why is that considered shallow compared to having any other preference like hair color, height, weight, ethnicity, etc?
There is nothing wrong with your preference, but why do you insist on telling the women you meet? thats your real problem.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,248,957 times
It's fine to have an issue with cankles, what's not fine is to spout off about it.

Keep it to yourself...no one else wants to hear or gives a chit.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,878,786 times
Sorry... I should I have preferenced this.

It's friends of mine that I tell in conversation where we talk about turn ons and offs... Not women I dont know or that i am trying to get with... I'm taken. My lady doesnt think it's shallow... I'm wondering why any female does.

Somehow my cankle (non-fetish) is worse than their height requirements. That's what I don't get. It's a double standard. They consider it different.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,761,894 times
What are cankles?
I hear it all the time but never could get a picture of them.
If I think they are what they are,does that mean you don't like big calves either?

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What are cankles?
I hear it all the time but never could get a picture of them.
If I think they are what they are,does that mean you don't like big calves either?

Cankles = no definition between your calf and ankle.

To the original poster, if you don't like them that is your preference but saying it outloud no matter who you are talking to does tend to give others the impression that you are superficial. I myself don't like them however, I am female and I USED to have cankles because I USED to be morbidly obese. I am no longer morbidly obese and I now have a definition between my calf and ankle. Some opinions are just better left unsaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.