U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:43 PM

66 posts, read 76,059 times

Advertisements

Where do you shop for clothes? Do you shop online, at department stores, mall chains, or thrift shops? Does brand even matter? I know many people say they shop at a department store like Macy's or Target, but what brands do you even buy? Target sells a variety of brands like Mossimo, Mossimo Supply Co, Merona, and Xhilaration. Does brand even matter? If you have a family, do they all shop at the same store? Also, do you buy shoes and handbags at the same store.

I love Kohl's and Target the most, although I seriously have a hard time finding things that fit from the latter store (I guess it's gone too high-fashion on a budget?). I still wear some juniors brands (Xhilaration and Candies) and mix it up with more sophisticated labels (Merona, Rock & Republic, Simply Vera Vera Wang). I also love Payless Shoe Source for footwear, Nine West for handbags, and Charming Charlie for jewelry/accessories. CC is kind of like a sophisticated version of Claire's.

Just curious to hear how everyone else shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 01:05 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,836,068 times
I don't care where I shop or what the brand is (within reason regarding price)... as long as I can get sleeves and inseams long enough!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:08 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,710,089 times
30 M here. Brand doesn't 'matter' to me in the way that is usually implied here. By that I mean that I purposefully never wear anything (other than sneakers) that has visible branding if possible. I don't care if people know where I got my clothes and I don't advertise brands to seem cool. However, let me be clear that this is very different than preferring certain brands due to consistent quality and good experiences with the brand. Some people confuse these. I have certain brands that always have items that are visually appealing to me, have proven to be decent quality (for their associated price), and fit me very well off the rack. These are my go-to stores.

With that said, I buy clothes at a lot of different places. Some of the places that I buy a lot of clothes at are:

-Bonobos
-J. Crew
-Banana Republic

I occasionally buy clothes at:

-H&M
-Express
-Made to Order shirting and suit companies
-Urban Outfitters

Then of course there are all kinds of companies that I have bought individual items from here and there.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:19 PM

26,907 posts, read 28,241,887 times
Mostly Target, Macy's, Nordstom, H&M and occasionally online places like ASOS and Dorothy Perkins.

I also go to outlets like Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and DKNY.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:32 PM

5,123 posts, read 12,756,428 times
I pretty much shop all of the above....depends what I'm looking for!!! And, how much time I have....the "discount" stores take a lot longer to shop in, than department stores....you really have to SEARCH for things!!!

Old 11-07-2014, 05:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 577,754 times
Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, Sears, JCPenney, Dillards. I like to buy higher quality clothes that will last a long time and are of a classic design.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:40 PM

4,620 posts, read 6,140,060 times
I am now at a point where I buy 90% of my clothing and shoes on-line.

Favorite places to shop on-line for clothes:

Zappos
Ann Taylor Loft
Old Navy/Gap
Macy's
Land's End
Nordstrom
JCP

I also buy clothes on Etsy and Ebay occasionally.

Brand name does not matter to me, and price doesn't mean that much either. I have some very inexpensive items that have lasted for years. Some of my best buys have come from Old Navy, and from Target when I used to shop there more. I try to shop on holidays or when there are sales.

I love the feeling of wearing something very inexpensive but getting compliments on it. I have one summer dress - just a simple cotton dress - that I consistently get tons of compliments on. It was $12 !! And it does not look cheap. You just have to know what sorts of fabrics and construction to look for.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:43 PM

34,756 posts, read 42,885,060 times
In my everyday life, I have the most use for casual classic clothing. The clothes I buy are mostly online (as long as its free shipping). The places I buy most from are Eddie Bauer, J Jill, and Land's End. I buy NYMJ Jeans from Macy's and also Eileen Fisher, on sale, at Dillard's or Belk's. That pretty much does it, since I don't need a lot of new clothes.
As for shoes, I'm an aberrant size, so it is always online.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,321,671 times
I mainly shop online:

JCPenneys, Maurices, Lane Bryant, Macys

Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 PM

706 posts, read 914,541 times
Victoria's Secret
Anthropologie
Lululemon
Athleta
Urban Outfitters
Banana Republic
Gap
DSW

ETA...my clothes don't have to be high end fashion, but I like quality clothing that will last. If it's one thing I hate, it's clothing that loses its color/brightness the first time I wash it or clothing that tears up after a few washings. I don't like cheap clothing or shoes, so there are certain stores I won't shop. On the other hand, I'm not willing to spend 2 months worth of my husband's salary on a single item either. I don't care whose name is on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or