U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM

872 posts, read 648,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
How do I want to go out? I want to go out looking like THE BOSS.
Please pray that your maker can't see through the façade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM
gg

17,027 posts, read 17,235,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksburgh View Post
Pitt Chick, you need to tell the OP to move to Pittsburgh where men REALLY know how to dress. I bet nothin' gives ya 'gina tingles more than faux leather Steelers bomber jackets, Dockers, a pair of Sketchers and a K-mart dress shirt on a man with a part down the middle of his hair and a goatee.
I was thinking more like pajama pants and a sweatshirt and that is what Pittsburgh'ers wear to church.

OP, being someone that visits Northern Europe often, I agree. In comparison we are slobs, not to mention just more overweight.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 AM

14,672 posts, read 29,772,252 times
I do believe that in general, many Europeans (and Asian an other countries for that matter, are more particular about their looks, dress and health than a vast majority of Americans.

People should dress how they like, however personally speaking, my husband and I like to look nice and we dress for the occasion. I live in a Florida coastal city that is a vacation destination for many countries and Americans alike. I am sad to tell you that I am really shocked at how the American vacationers dress for even the NICEST restaurants, theaters, etc. here. I just don't think it is appropriate to go to a high end restaurant dressed like a lumberjack or in baggy shorts, sloppy tee and sandals. Sure that is just fine for a tiki bar. I like to see people looking nice, and when I do I compliment them.

I don't know when the trend for such sloppy dress in America started, but back in the 50's and 60's people always dressed up to go anywhere, men with hats, women with gloves. Not saying people need to go that far now, but something other than baggy pants/shorts/pajamas and ugly t-shirts would be nice.

ONLY MY OPINION people, so do what you please.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,844,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Bruce Springsteen?
Absolutely!!!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,844,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Please pray that your maker can't see through the façade.
Not a facade! I know when i see those pearly gates, my attire won't matter. But I got one life to live, and if it ended right now, I want to go out leaving a good looking corpse!

Lighten up friend. How can a person even take a thread like this seriously? European men dressing better than American men? Euros absolutely workship everything Americans do. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM

15,747 posts, read 11,805,057 times
uhm, the American men I see in Europe usually stick out because they were the collared (button) shirts and sneakers while most Europeans just wear casual T-shirts with sandals and black socks.

however, I do think that most European women would never go anywhere in pajamas and unkempt hair like American women do.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:58 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,048,762 times
Weird. Most of the people I know in the northeast who are gainfully employed tend to dress quite nicely. Not all of them. The further you get from cities the worse it gets.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:36 AM

1,687 posts, read 924,954 times
Two things that contribute to style (not fashion) are: dressing properly for the occasion and "Sprezzatura".

Old 11-21-2014, 12:25 PM

25,895 posts, read 49,846,036 times
When I was working in Austria I had some friends visit...

They were on vacation and just wanted to chill.

Anyway, they were getting some strange looks from some people.

My Austrian friend was with us and they asked her... she said people just are not used to seeing grown men walk around in sleeping clothes... they had sweats on.

It has changed some in that real athletic wear is fashionable... and European wear often has to have the right logo to be in...

Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,911,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
A man dressed nicely can still be a pompous ass just as much as a man in jeans and graphic tshirt could bend over backwards to help a stranger.

Dont judge a book by its cover.

This is quite often the case. Which one is more apt to pull you out of a ditch with his 4x4 truck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or