U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,734,224 times

Advertisements

Ok..I'll complain a bit....tried them, but they do NOT get dark enough for me! And, inside the car, they don't darken at all...I NEED dark glasses as my eyes are very sensitive to light. So, it's prescription sunglasses in the darkest tint I can get, for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,742,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Ok..I'll complain a bit....tried them, but they do NOT get dark enough for me! And, inside the car, they don't darken at all...I NEED dark glasses as my eyes are very sensitive to light. So, it's prescription sunglasses in the darkest tint I can get, for me!
i used to have both transitions and prescription sunglasses (when i was riding my scooter for daily commute), but then i lost my sunglasses. the sunglasses were really dark compared to my transitions. i may have to get them again in late spring

Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,879,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I am on my second pair of Silhouette frames ( actually they are frameless). They are progressives that have the transition lenses in them . Because of living in the SW part of the US, the sun shines most everyday and can be very bright. I got tired of having to switch to regular glasses from sunglasses all the time and visa versa. I really like these but wonder if they are for "old folks " mostly and that younger people don't like them? Comments??
I always order transition lenses for myself and my family. Whenever I take my parents to have their glasses done, I have their glasses made in transitions lenses (I know they like to save money), but what would you rather have? Your eyes more prone to being exposed to cataracts or the added protection of going out into the sunlight (without your sunglasses) to somewhat protect your eyes is what I usually say. Some shading is better than no shading, especially in the harsh UV light conditions nowadays. And, the newer transitions go much darker w/the silver halloid technology.

If you're going w/silhouettes, online is less pricey as compared to over-priced major chains like LensCrafters.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM

18,044 posts, read 17,182,887 times
I have the transitions and I like them but as others have said, they don't get dark enough. I live at the beach and they just aren't sufficient for the bright light we get here. However, my optician seems to have solved the problem by adding little glasses that clip on. They are not like the old fashioned clip ons, he makes them himself to fit your glasses. It just looks like your regular glasses because they are custom made to fit. He only charges $30.

These little clip ons are small and I keep them in a small case in my purse to clip on if I'm driving or at the beach.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,742,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I always order transition lenses for myself and my family. Whenever I take my parents to have their glasses done, I have their glasses made in transitions lenses (I know they like to save money), but what would you rather have? Your eyes more prone to being exposed to cataracts or the added protection of going out into the sunlight (without your sunglasses) to somewhat protect your eyes is what I usually say. Some shading is better than no shading, especially in the harsh UV light conditions nowadays. And, the newer transitions go much darker w/the silver halloid technology.

If you're going w/silhouettes, online is less pricey as compared to over-priced major chains like LensCrafters.

so i can just ask for the transitions with silver halloid technology?

and which online stores are you referring to?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,620,835 times
I've looked at them, but they never seem to get as dark as I want my shades to be or as clear as I want my regular glasses to be, and I'm not willing to make that tradeoff.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM

47 posts, read 23,784 times
I have been wearing transition lenses for years and love them, I would also never get a pair of glasses that don't have transition lenses. Transition lenses are also better for you eye health because they block both UVA and UVB light naturally. The only drawback to transition lenses is they don't darken to much inside a car because the windshield blocks the light needed to activate the lenses, so you may still need prescription sunglasses to drive if your transitions don't get dark enough for you.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:39 PM

39,139 posts, read 37,766,222 times
From a non-wearer's perspective, I am not a fan of that look, especially when someone's glasses are "transitioning" indoors. To me it's the equivalent of a guy wearing white socks with black shoes.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 PM

12,230 posts, read 1,649,655 times
My boss has them and his gripe is that they don't turn clear fast enough when he comes inside.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 PM

4,860 posts, read 3,721,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
and which online stores are you referring to?
Warby Parker and Zenni Optical are 2 excellent online stores I've had experience with.

Luxotica owns most of the retail eyeglass stores (Lenscrafters, Pearle, Sears, Target, and more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty