Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM

64 posts, read 214,166 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Just got a new position and it's business casual attire. My problem is I am tall and skinny with long legs lol. I'm only 6'1" but currently underweight at 156 lbs. Usually I am 165 lbs.-170 lbs. which is still skinny though. I will be getting back to my normal weight once I start working and lifting again. I am 27 years old. I am thinking I should stick to a flat front more than pleated. I like the slim fit look but as long as I can move around, lol. Where can you guys recommend a store that I go too? What is a popular brand for someone my size?

I tried Dillard's brand of Roundtree and Yorke (I liked the straight fit/flat front more than classic fit/flat front) along with Dockers (tried the straight fit again) at Kohl's. I also tried the slim fit with Dockers but they seemed maybe a little too snug? Nothing seems to fit the right way...Either they are too big in the waist or not long enough/too long in length. It's so frustrating...Any suggestions? What do you other skinnier/tall guys with long legs do for business casual pants for work? I want something that looks nice and not cheap...

I also need shoes to go with them for work. I have a really narrow foot. I've noticed my left foot is smaller than my right one, haha. In the past I have had Born shoes but I tried some on at Dillard's and they still slipped. I liked the style of Borns but am only looking to pay at the most $100. I also tried some of the Merrill's they had that had a similar look. They fit much better in the heel but I didn't like the style as much...they seemed more of a "rural" look. Any recommendations on other brands/stores to look at for narrow feet shoes for business casual attire?

I'm so frustrated and need to get some pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
My husband is 6'2" and probably around 160 lbs, he buys a lot of business/business casual clothes from JCrew. He's fine with 34" inseam though. If you need longer, I'm not sure if they have it. JCrew is a bit on the expensive side but often has 25%-30% off sales.

Banana Republic has slim fit tall pants online with a 36" inseam but it seems that for tall pants the smallest waist size is 32".

Old 12-06-2014, 08:14 AM

64 posts, read 214,166 times
Thank you for your help but I usually am a 32" in length but all the ones I have tried on are too short when I sit down. So then I step up to a 34" in length but then they are always too baggy at the bottom and too long. I don't want to hem them because I don't like that look. I usually am a 30" or if I gain weight again 31-32" in the waist.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 AM

103 posts, read 124,558 times
My ex is 6'3" and around 170lbs, has a lean swimmer's build with long torso and long legs. I use to buy Hugo Boss, Armani, cK, Ted Baker dress pants for him. They're usually made long and slim cut. If you get them at higher end retailers such as Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, you might be able to get them hemmed for free (if they end up being too long) or get them hemmed quicker than most places.

My ex wore a lot of Rockport dress shoes. I'm not sure the style you'd like would be around $100 but they are nice and comfortable from what he told me and he had a high arch.

http://www.rockport.com/mens-dress-shoes

Old 12-12-2014, 11:56 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan05 View Post
Thank you for your help but I usually am a 32" in length but all the ones I have tried on are too short when I sit down. So then I step up to a 34" in length but then they are always too baggy at the bottom and too long. I don't want to hem them because I don't like that look. I usually am a 30" or if I gain weight again 31-32" in the waist.
(Bolding mine)

I'm thin and on the short side, and I have the same issue with most slacks of the khaki/Dockers variety. I've done better with slightly dressier pants from Express; although it's been awhile and I don't remember what waist size or inseam I bought. I will say that the 30" inseam seems awfully short for you since I take at least a 32" inseam myself. Part of the issue may be that, judging from my experience, is that typical khakis are cut for guys that are a lot wider than us, and just because you buy a smaller waist than most other guys doesn't mean the manufacturers have sized down the whole butt and the front and back rises accordingly. I think the Express people do a better job in that regard.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
What about Land's End? They have some slim fit slacks that look nice. I agree with Express too, they have more of a slim, athletic fit than other brands.

About the look of hemmed pants, all pants are hemmed. Otherwise there would just be a raw edge of fabric fraying on the bottom of the pants. If you don't like the way they look when they're hemmed with a visible stitch, ask for them to be hemmed with a blind stitch. Dress slacks are usually hemmed that way. Khakis can be done that way too. If your wife or mom usually hems them for you, she can find a video online about how to sew a blind stitch, if she doesn't have a sewing machine that does it.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Try Uniqlo. These clothes are cut for slim guys! And if i recall the default length is 36.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Express clothing has a reputation for being absolute garbage.

There's such a thing as inseam 33", which Lands' End has (can't think of another store at the moment). It even has quarter-inch options. That probably should become the go-to store for pants. By the way, it is one of a few places that sell unhemmed pants.

It will cost at least $150 for dress shoes of adequate quality.... Maybe something like a Johnston & Murphy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty