Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:21 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
How did I miss these? Apparently, I screen-out a great deal of the world. I've never even HEARD of 'Insult Tees'.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%3Ahappy+bunny

These are the worst. My favorite Happy Bunny slogan: "run along and die now!" I remember these were really a thing when I was in high school, and they totally captured some of how I felt. Kids truly can be worlds of cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 04:32 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
There is no end to T-shirt humor, some of it appropriate and some not, even if it is not a direct insult. I remember an eighth grade boy who came to school wearing a T-shirt which read "Your breasts look heavy. Do you want me to hold them for you?" He was made to turn it inside out so the message could no longer be read.

My favorite was described by a poster in the Non-Romantic Relationships Forum. It pictured a mostly empty auditorium with the banner "Adult children of normal parents - annual convention".

Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
It was a long time ago I saw this, but it has stuck with me through the years, I suppose because of the total picture. About 1980, I was in an attorney's waiting area and a young woman carrying a toddler with one arm and holding a cigarette with her other hand. She was wearing a t-shirt with the words: Happiness is a tight p____, only it was spelled out. She looked to be about 19.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Maybe not. I was thinking of some pun along the lines of, "bullying, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. In fact, I got several T-shirts." You are probably right, though. It might be counterproductive. I remember they really inspired me when I was a teen, though. The bullies were not original, and it made them seem like they weren't as smart as I thought. It really helped me view them as less powerful.
To me it screams "I'm a victim" which is the last thing you should be focused on or advertising to your students.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To me it screams "I'm a victim" which is the last thing you should be focused on or advertising to your students.
You are right. I guess I wasn't thinking of it like that. As I child, I think I would have been interested if I had a teacher who seemed to like mean jokes and insult humor. I wouldn't have thought of her giving off the "victim" vibe, but I guess it could be seen that way. Are kids really that smart these days? I would have never figured that out when I was a kid. I would have just thought I had a really cool teacher who wasn't bothered by things.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
It seems most people here are against a teacher bringing these to school. How about for ONE class as history?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
You are right. I guess I wasn't thinking of it like that. As I child, I think I would have been interested if I had a teacher who seemed to like mean jokes and insult humor. I wouldn't have thought of her giving off the "victim" vibe, but I guess it could be seen that way. Are kids really that smart these days? I would have never figured that out when I was a kid. I would have just thought I had a really cool teacher who wasn't bothered by things.
Please don't teach.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Please don't teach.
I don't know what you meant by that. Please explain in detail.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Your posts (and your own disclosure regarding social skills-related difficulties you have) consistently show that you have extreme difficulty relating to your age group of choice. What you are suggesting as a "bonding"-type idea in this thread indicates being out of touch with what your role is as a teacher, to an almost alarming degree. You note that you have difficulty envisioning and predicting what students will and will not understand, make comments like, "Are kids really that smart these days?" and bring a significant amount of personal baggage regarding your own weaknesses, past and present. You struggle to identify or empathize with any type of student other than ones that remind you of your own experience as a student, and have great difficulty looking at situations from a point of view other than your own. These things are each, individually, significant barriers to being a successful educator...all together, that's a whole lot of barriers. It seems with most of your posts like you don't want to consider finding something that may be a better fit for you, and I hate the idea of setting yourself up to fail.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
If I do start a collection, what future uses do you think I can put them to?
Not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty