Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:52 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Yeah, I went to UC Berkeley in the '80s, and makeup was a political statement. In that environment, if a woman had long hair, or wore any lip color at all, or dressed in certain ways, or shaved her legs, she was a tool of the patriarchy.
hmm... I lived in Berkeley in the 80's, and women had long hair (campus women, HS women, random women). It sounds like you were around a hard-core crowd. And Berkeley, fyi, has always been a pretty makeup-free environment, from generations back, according to the older gens in my extended family, and their neighbors. And that was back when Berkeley was a conservative town, before the upheaval of the 60's/70's. It has nothing to do with political orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 03:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
I feel like the term make up brings up negative connotations. The truth is make up is supposed to be neutral and used only to play up your best features. I do find that the women of today wear too much makeup. I go on youtube videos and the amount of concealer, full coverage foundation, blush, and bronzer that these girls put on is mindboggling. I also see them trying to cover up traits that I find to be beautiful like freckles.
I wear make up but its not because I need it. It makes me feel more put together. A little mascara, eyeliner and lipstick is what I normally wear. When its all said and done I look like an enhanced version of me, but not so much that if my partner or anyone else saw me without makeup they wouldn't recognize me.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM

234 posts, read 327,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
Do you think women look more professional or "dressed" when they wear makeup? Say a woman goes to a formal event (or any party) wears a lovely outfit, jewelry, does her hair nice... but wears no makeup. Would that bother you or would you notice? If two women are at a workplace and one wears makeup and the other doesn't, would you notice, or would you take one or the other more seriously or think one looked more professional (whether you really noticed or not)?
"Going to a special event" look would be a little uncompleted without some makeup, I guess.
However, I prefer to see more natural makeups because seeing people with a lot of makeup on and then seeing the same person one day with a bare face might make them look too unusual in a bad way.
I personally, don't care if other women wear makeup or not, I respect their choices. And I also don't think makeup make you look more professional. It's more about neat clothes and hair really, than makeup, to me.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Really great skin is a much better accessory than a fully made-up face, IMO. I started paying way more attention to skin care than to cosmetics by my late twenties.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:10 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really great skin is a much better accessory than a fully made-up face, IMO. I started paying way more attention to skin care than to cosmetics by my late twenties.
I agree that having great skin goes a long way, but other than wear sun screen, eat right and not smoke, what can a person really do to take care of their skin/ improve the way thier skin looks? Having great skin is highly genetic.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Some women dont need any makeup. They have natural color. Im blessed with good skin and few wrinkles for my age (65) but I have absolutely no color. I have always had no color. I dont mind. I also dont have things to cover up. Its easier to add stuff than to cover up. If I dont wear some makeup I just sort of blend in. I adjust my paint & body work depending on how much I feel like being noticed.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 12-19-2014 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: I go out in public with no makeup. I really dont care if your windows crack.:D

Old 12-19-2014, 04:40 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,117 times
I don't think it's that people feel women aren't professional, dressed up, et cetera without makeup as it is that people feel women aren't complete without makeup. There's this quiet belief that women are obligated to look their best at all times in order to be deemed appropriate for visual consumption and that it's society's job to determine how you need to modify yourself to meet that standard.

Hence, the notion that whether or not you should wear makeup is in any meaningful way tied to how you look with or without it. That if you have nice skin, it's okay to be bare, but if you have bad skin, then you're cosmically obligated to cover it up so no one has to look at it, including you. Otherwise, you aren't being all a woman is supposed to be, unlike men, who can have a face full of scars for all anyone cares and not be asked to "do something about it" lol

I only wear makeup on special occasions to do something fun and different because I can't stand it otherwise and always felt it was more important to take care of my actual face than paint it. I don't really think about other women wearing makeup beyond it being sad how many of them only do because they're terrified of how society will react to them if they don't and/or feel they have to because vagina. So many women wear makeup all day every day that I don't even notice who is and isn't anymore anyway *shrug*

Old 12-19-2014, 07:27 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Fascinating. Sort of like a Canadian alternative school. Where was that, btw? Simon Fraser? Just curious. Thanks for sharing.
yep you nailed it Not that I would consider it an 'alternative school', it's one of the province's two major universities

Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I don't think it's that people feel women aren't professional, dressed up, et cetera without makeup as it is that people feel women aren't complete without makeup. There's this quiet belief that women are obligated to look their best at all times in order to be deemed appropriate for visual consumption and that it's society's job to determine how you need to modify yourself to meet that standard.

Hence, the notion that whether or not you should wear makeup is in any meaningful way tied to how you look with or without it. That if you have nice skin, it's okay to be bare, but if you have bad skin, then you're cosmically obligated to cover it up so no one has to look at it, including you. Otherwise, you aren't being all a woman is supposed to be, unlike men, who can have a face full of scars for all anyone cares and not be asked to "do something about it" lol

I only wear makeup on special occasions to do something fun and different because I can't stand it otherwise and always felt it was more important to take care of my actual face than paint it. I don't really think about other women wearing makeup beyond it being sad how many of them only do because they're terrified of how society will react to them if they don't and/or feel they have to because vagina. So many women wear makeup all day every day that I don't even notice who is and isn't anymore anyway *shrug*
But what's wrong with wanting to improve your appearance, conceal flaws, and look better than you would 'naturally'? Everyone does it to some extent, men included - they may not wear makeup but those who want to look good will wear nice clothing, be groomed and clean shaven, have a good haircut, wear good cologne and nice accessories, work out, etc. Most people want to look attractive and presentable - there's nothing anti-feminist about it, and it's not a matter of being 'terrified' of society but more a matter of feeling good about ourselves and taking pride in how you present yourself to the world. Otherwise why bother with clothing, skincare, grooming, anything? Let's just walk around hairy, dirty, smelly, and wearing rags - after all, who cares what 'society' is gonna think?
It's a silly argument.

I do think women look 'incomplete' without makeup at a formal occasion but it has nothing to do with a woman's role in society, it's simply because I see it as part of the package - if you're wearing an evening dress, you're presumably not going to wear runners with it, or fuzzy slippers, or have unshaven legs or unbrushed messy hair. Makeup is simply another part of that. In the same way I would expect a man to show up to such an event clean-shaven and dressed appropriately, not looking scruffy like he just climbed out of bed.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 PM

695 posts, read 713,785 times
I can tolerate eye makeup, other than that I consider a women who is "made up" to be deceitful, and usually try and avoid contact with her.

If a woman isn't comfortable with her natural appearance, then I will find it hard to be attracted to her.

If you're all made up, then you can never really know if someone likes you for the REAL YOU, or if they just like your skill with face-paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty