U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
Reputation: 4133

Advertisements

I never did understand why a woman would have surgery, which does carry some risk, to have fake implants put into her body. When I was a teenager, my breasts started developing fairly late, so I was a B cup for a while, now I am a D, I would rather have the B or even C, LOL. But there is no way I would consider having surgery for anything that is not related to my health, or that is grossly disfiguring. I do believe most, not all, woman have surgery because they are buying into this whole B.S. about how we are supposed to look, that we have been fed since we have been little girls. I find it rather sad, really. Nothing wrong with trying to look good, but having surgery is going a bit too far, IMO. But to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Nothing wrong with trying to look good, but having surgery is going a bit too far, IMO. But to each their own.
Just curious: Do you feel the same way about things like face lifts, hair implants, fixing a crooked nose ......??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
Reputation: 4133
Yes, I already said that. Unless I had something that is GROSSLY DISFIGURING I would not consider it. That includes facelifts etc. If I have to sliced up or cut open it will be for medical reasons, not for my looks. Living a healthy lifestyle, getting lots of rest and eating healthy food and getting exercise is enough for me.
Now if someone was a burn victim and wants to get surgery or something really disfiguring, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
620 posts, read 1,588,071 times
Reputation: 414
I'm trying to understand the people who say that all women are lying when they say they want the surgery for themselves. How can anyone possibly know the motivating factor for every single woman who has chosen to have the surgery? I haven't had it done, but I'm not averse to it. I never was extremely tickled about the way my body is proportioned, but I digress. Let's say that all of the women were lying, what difference would that make? It would still be their choice to make, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Living a healthy lifestyle, getting lots of rest and eating healthy food and getting exercise is enough for me.
And, that is certainly commendable. That said, there are those who want to tweak their appearance and, I'm sure you would agree, have every right to do so -

September '08 is my "time" to go under the knife. I have lost a LOT of weight - nearing the big 60 - I'm going to have all that has "gone south" to make a "U turn" and head north . From the tips of the old toes to the top of this old head - and everywhere in between.

And, I'm doing it for one person - me. Because I want to.

You would agree thats' ok, wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
Reputation: 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, that is certainly commendable. That said, there are those who want to tweak their appearance and, I'm sure you would agree, have every right to do so -

September '08 is my "time" to go under the knife. I have lost a LOT of weight - nearing the big 60 - I'm going to have all that has "gone south" to make a "U turn" and head north . From the tips of the old toes to the top of this old head - and everywhere in between.

And, I'm doing it for one person - me. Because I want to.

You would agree thats' ok, wouldn't you?
If you read my post you will see that I would not consider it, but I am not trying to make it against the law to have plastic surgery .
More power to you, if you want to! If a person loses a lot of weight later in life, I can see that would cause a problem, I guess skin isn't as flexible as it used to be. I once read about a woman that lost 200 pounds and had to have surgery to get rid of the excess skin. But that could be very unattractive and to me doesn't compare to getting breast implants, just because you don't think your natural ones are big enough, LOL.
Good luck to you with your surgery, hope it all goes well and you heal quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, that is certainly commendable. That said, there are those who want to tweak their appearance and, I'm sure you would agree, have every right to do so -

September '08 is my "time" to go under the knife. I have lost a LOT of weight - nearing the big 60 - I'm going to have all that has "gone south" to make a "U turn" and head north . From the tips of the old toes to the top of this old head - and everywhere in between.

And, I'm doing it for one person - me. Because I want to.

You would agree thats' ok, wouldn't you?
As long as one is just doing it for themselves, its ALWAYS ok! I would love to get the twins corraled and put back to where they need to be! And anything else, too.
But I would only do it for me, not DH, or preconceived notions of what beauty is.
I hope you have totally checked out your surgeon, too many are doing things without board certs!
Let us know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Chi-Town soon to be NYC and eventually Ireland
290 posts, read 984,946 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
nah... I'm good.
Ha ha, why did I expect that response Most people who make totally unsupportable assertions have no desire to actually learn the truth. Glad you're good. though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 16,806,736 times
Reputation: 12316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
I'm trying to understand the people who say that all women are lying when they say they want the surgery for themselves. How can anyone possibly know the motivating factor for every single woman who has chosen to have the surgery? I haven't had it done, but I'm not averse to it. I never was extremely tickled about the way my body is proportioned, but I digress. Let's say that all of the women were lying, what difference would that make? It would still be their choice to make, right?
I agree.

I don't see why it is any of my concern why another person, man or woman would have plastic surgery. I've never done it either, but who am I to judge others.

Oh by the way, to the people who have made comments about mother's risking their lives and having unnecessary surgery for themselves. I guess that makes me a horrible mother!! YEP, rotten, horrible me. I had surgery to remove my four wisdom teeth, yep, and I CHOSE to be put to sleep for it. Selfish, selfish me, what a horrible mom I am, I should have done it awake with only being numbed in the mouth instead of SELFISHLY being put to sleep and risking my life!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
620 posts, read 1,588,071 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
I agree.

I don't see why it is any of my concern why another person, man or woman would have plastic surgery. I've never done it either, but who am I to judge others.

Oh by the way, to the people who have made comments about mother's risking their lives and having unnecessary surgery for themselves. I guess that makes me a horrible mother!! YEP, rotten, horrible me. I had surgery to remove my four wisdom teeth, yep, and I CHOSE to be put to sleep for it. Selfish, selfish me, what a horrible mom I am, I should have done it awake with only being numbed in the mouth instead of SELFISHLY being put to sleep and risking my life!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top