U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:00 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,720,817 times

Advertisements

For the sake of this thread, I'm referring to "natural beauty" as one's appearance without makeup, hair coloring, skin care, diet, exercise or any other enhancements.

I find my attitudes changing as I get older. I used to think that it was somehow "cheating" to wear makeup, exercise, color my hair, or do anything other than allow my appearance to ride on my genetics. But, I'm not 23 anymore, and I am questioning what is so bad about putting some work into oneself?

People will say things like, "You don't need makeup", or "you can eat anything you want and not gain weight." Is that somehow superior to someone that enhances their appearance with cosmetics and watches what they eat? Is dieting and exercise (for purposes of appearance), or wearing cosmetics vain? The older I get, the more I am starting to examine these beliefs, and to disagree with them.

If I really think about it, my mother held these beliefs (and still does), and I think that is where I got them from. She doesn't wear makeup, exercise, or color her hair, yet she complains about her appearance. The yoga ball that I got her a few Christmases ago is her footstool. Vain or not, I don't want to live like that.

I'll fess up: I've always wanted fuller lips, and I've also been concerned about these furrows developing between my eyebrows. So I went and got some Dysport and Restylane, and I really love the results. I've also signed up at a new gym and started altering my diet, for health reasons of course, but also because I want to look as good as I can for as long as I can. It's helped my emotional state tremedously, and while it's not a panacea, I can tell that it's changed my interactions with others for the better.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 10:19 AM

519 posts, read 626,699 times
Not fully understanding your question but I will say dieting and exercise is not vain. It's healthy and just so happens to make your appearance better.

And who cares what people think is vain or not. Do what makes YOU feel good about yourself. If that's getting implants or lip injections so be it.

A lot of people who call others self-centered and vain are mostly just jealous. Or they don't have the self-discipline to eat healthier and take care of themselves like you do. People can be so jealous especially if you're good looking AND in-shape etc. Deep down they envy you.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,036,584 times
There's a fine line. Working out and watching what you eat isn't the same thing as slapping on massive amounts of makeup every time you leave the house, getting a bunch of plastic surgery, etc.

Aging isn't a bad thing, it's inevitable and part of being alive. Being fat and weak for ones age is optional for the majority of people.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:24 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,504,098 times
Well natural isn't overrated if one naturally is blessed with everything. 1st in line when looks were handed out.

However, some people need extra help, or aren't happy with the cards they got dealt. . Me, I think I am average-looking. But eh. With make-up done to my liking, I think I look somewhat nice, so I usually wear it when leaving the house. Is it natural? No. but heck with that logic, wearing nice clothes, or any clothes isn't natural, That's the belief of many nudists. Same for doing hair. Rarely does hair stay good with absolutely no work. If I didn't work on my hair, I wouldn't have any, because it would break and fall out, as some of it already has in the back from sweating.

So, if you look hard enough, tons of things aren't natural.

So, really I don't find enhancement cheating in any way. it's things to enhance your look. it's still you. Though a good make-up job can work wonders. Some have said Mila Kunis is hot, but when they saw her without make-up, said she looked like an ugly boy.

Now, some women look terrific without a drop of make-up. So all natural in the face is fine and grand for them. But overall, it depends on the person. If you aren't happy with your looks, fix them to your liking as best you can. Who cares if it's not natural. it's apart of you now.

Like breast implants. Sure your breasts to automatically look like that, but they're there now, and can be seen and touched. Like many who hate Courtney Cox's new look. But she may look at herself, and thinks she's hot with the botox, or whatever she had done. So, that's her look now.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-25-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-25-2014, 12:26 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,153,236 times
I just eat organics straight across the board, workout 5-6 days a week..I'm 51, mother to four, I still have all my parts, I feel great and very active here~ I think whatever makes one happy, I've had no work done, I'm not into adding or taken from me but to each their own...

Old 12-25-2014, 01:24 PM

460 posts, read 626,324 times
People don't let their houses get all weathered and beaten up and say that their house looks like the worst one on the block and should be condemned because nature is taking its course and peeling all the paint off and letting the lawn get overgrown. No, most people want to show pride in where they live so they paint their house, they mow their lawn. They want to conform and fit in and look presentable, as well as keep their property in good shape and get a return on their investment. Why would it be any different with your personal physical appearance.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:38 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,751,682 times
No. It's not overrated. But these days (as you've proven) it IS rare!

Old 12-25-2014, 01:56 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,366,795 times
I have a friend like this, to whom I say:

my experiences with various government officials go WAY better
when I have my hair and makeup did.

WAYYYY better.

A well groomed woman has an Untouchable Credibility. Shouldn't be true, BUT IT IS, so hey! Use it!!!!

Old 12-25-2014, 02:11 PM

14,652 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well natural isn't overrated if one naturally is blessed with everything. 1st in line when looks were handed out.

However, some people need extra help, or aren't happy with the cards they got dealt. . Me, I think I am average-looking. But eh. With make-up done to my liking, I think I look somewhat nice, so I usually wear it when leaving the house. Is it natural? No. but heck with that logic, wearing nice clothes, or any clothes isn't natural, That's the belief of many nudists. Same for doing hair. Rarely does hair stay good with absolutely no work. If I didn't work on my hair, I wouldn't have any, because it would break and fall out, as some of it already has in the back from sweating.

So, if you look hard enough, tons of things aren't natural.

So, really I don't find enhancement cheating in any way. it's things to enhance your look. it's still you. Though a good make-up job can work wonders. Some have said Mila Kunis is hot, but when they saw her without make-up, said she looked like an ugly boy.

Now, some women look terrific without a drop of make-up. So all natural in the face is fine and grand for them. But overall, it depends on the person. If you aren't happy with your looks, fix them to your liking as best you can. Who cares if it's not natural. it's apart of you now.

Like breast implants. Sure your breasts to automatically look like that, but they're there now, and can be seen and touched. Like many who hate Courtney Cox's new look. But she may look at herself, and thinks she's hot with the botox, or whatever she had done. So, that's her look now.
I pretty much agree with all this.

I think people should be able to use whatever is available to them to feel the best about themselves. For someone blessed with fabulous "natural beauty", that person may not feel they need to do anything, or not much.

For some of us (especially women) and especially as we get older, we might feel we need a little help. I do all I can to make me feel and look good - I eat right, work out, smile a lot, color my hair and wear tastefully applied makeup. I am now 65, and while I haven't wanted to try fillers or Botox (not really wrinkled yet), I may in a few years get mini jaw lift and my under eyes area done. We'll see.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:21 PM

230 posts, read 153,094 times
"A well groomed woman has an Untouchable Credibility."

Absolutely agree. Add in charm and good graces she's speckless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty