U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Glasses? Isn't it the 21st century? LASIK or Contacts, get that lip blocker off your mug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Glasses can be cool. Wear them like an accessory. There are some brands that specialize in wild designs, multi-colored frames, all kinds of creative stuff. Get jiggy with them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As others have mentioned, contacts and laser surgery aren't viable for everyone. And some people prefer the look of glasses, as well (myself included). I wore my contacts exactly twice in the past year...once for my wedding, and once for another formal event. Upon seeing photos from both, I can't help but note how much I prefer how I look with my glasses than without.
Glasses have come back into style. They are fun and people wear them now without a prescription lens. I wore contacts for a few years but got SO tired of the maintenance and inconvenience. Went back with metal rims and they were not comfortable which is the main reason I would not choose rimless plus the fact that I am rather "rough and tumble" and I have seen them fall apart for others. They look good on some people but I think for me, being 60 years old, that they "age" me and most others my age. I just got new plastic frames from Zenni (they have a way to load your photo and try on glasses that is pretty accurate in how they will look more or less and the frameless were not good), tortoise shell on top and blue translucent on the bottom and I love them. Comfort and style combined is always the best choice for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 AM

3,909 posts, read 7,541,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Depends on who is wearing them - diff. faces look diff. with various glasses - just like clothes, there is no right or wrong for everyone.
This - as well as what's in fashion. Wasn't the nerd look 'in' a few years ago?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I could get away with a smallish, rimless frame, but am told they are useful for a more minor prescription.
I have a pretty heavy duty prescription, but I can get it in thinner lenses. Shop around!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
It's true that oftentimes, rimless glasses aren't even available for higher index prescriptions with thicker lenses. I've been told this at multiple frame retailers.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Glasses have come back into style. They are fun and people wear them now without a prescription lens. I wore contacts for a few years but got SO tired of the maintenance and inconvenience. Went back with metal rims and they were not comfortable which is the main reason I would not choose rimless plus the fact that I am rather "rough and tumble" and I have seen them fall apart for others. They look good on some people but I think for me, being 60 years old, that they "age" me and most others my age. I just got new plastic frames from Zenni (they have a way to load your photo and try on glasses that is pretty accurate in how they will look more or less and the frameless were not good), tortoise shell on top and blue translucent on the bottom and I love them. Comfort and style combined is always the best choice for me.
I've been wanting to get some additional pairs from Zenni or Warby Parker, but since every optometrist I've been to in the past several years engages in the game of withholding PD measurements, now, which makes things a pain. I don't get why that's okay.

I also agree that metal or wire rim and rimless are less durable, and tend to hold up longer for people who wear them sparingly. Whenever I've had metal/wire rims (last wore them in the early 2000s), they haven't held up nearly as long as plastic.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:39 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've been wanting to get some additional pairs from Zenni or Warby Parker, but since every optometrist I've been to in the past several years engages in the game of withholding PD measurements, now, which makes things a pain. I don't get why that's okay.

I also agree that metal or wire rim and rimless are less durable, and tend to hold up longer for people who wear them sparingly. Whenever I've had metal/wire rims (last wore them in the early 2000s), they haven't held up nearly as long as plastic.
Take your own PD measurement. It's easy. I've done my own in the mirror, and I've helped measure several friends' PDs. Zenni has a printable tool, and they even send more once you've ordered.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Thanks! I'm currently without a printer, but am having my husband print the measuring tool at work!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 AM

1,106 posts, read 854,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Take your own PD measurement. It's easy. I've done my own in the mirror, and I've helped measure several friends' PDs. Zenni has a printable tool, and they even send more once you've ordered.
Yep. I ordered form Warby Parker and they let you measure it on their site. You just need a webcam and a credit card (to show distance perspective). My glasses were perfect.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM

I've tried using Warby Parker's webcam measuring method, and it's hard for me to get an accurate measurement, because my vision is so poor (hard to ensure that my face is aligned straight in the oval, hard to see/click the "capture" button without my glasses and be sure that I haven't shifted my position outside the oval in doing so, etc.). Each time I try to use it, I take three or four shots to see if I get the same average measurement, and I always end up measuring between 59.5 mm and 61.5 mm. Should I just average it and hope for the best?

Either way, to bring it back to the OP, frameless glasses are not my thing.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Depends on the person. Some people look fine. Others not so much. This holds true all styles of glasses though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty