Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 01:35 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm sick of wide earpieces.
This. I also think they aren't safe. They block out a lot of your peripheral vision, and clear peripheral vision is essential for safe driving. As for these comments RE: LASIK, contacts, etc., there are many reasons people choose glasses over those options. One is, even if they wear contacts, it's not good for your eyes to wear contacts all the time, and every contact lens wearer should have a backup pair of glasses, especially if he/she needs a lot of correction. Secondly, people who need reading glasses are not good candidates for LASIK because they need correction at many different distances. And those with a lot of astigmatism aren't good candidates either. Also, LASIK is expensive and not covered by insurance in most cases. Then there's the reason that some people may not want LASIK just because they don't want it. I got LASIK done right when it first started being done on a widespread basis. And I got it done for free. But I was a very lucky lady, because I was an ophthalmic technician and my doctor needed a few guinea pigs. I happily volunteered, and the next morning, my vision was 20/20 uncorrected It had been 20/400 before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:11 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I love my glasses. They are big and perfectly round. I have had the same frames since I was 14 years old...so 21 years now. Every time I go in, they try to persuade me to get new frames (because money, duh.) I tell them that if they could sell me some that look exactly like the ones I have, and are well made enough to survive 30 GWAR moshpits, they can sell me new frames. Otherwise, no.

I have actually bought new frames a couple of times, just mostly when my prescription didn't change and my lenses weren't in terrible shape, to have a spare pair. I've tried wearing them. But although they looked kinda cool on my face, they were so vertically narrow (think thin horizontal rectangle shapes) that I didn't feel like I had an adequate field of vision and went back to my old ones as primary, just as I expected I would.

I've been told that my round frames are unfashionable, out of style, by these silly people. And yet I get many compliments on them. As if I care for what is "popular" or "in style" (according to somebody trying to sell a product) anyhow...psh.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
I wear contacts most of the time but when I don't I wear rimless frames - I don't find them matronly or old fashioned - they look great on me! I also think Sarah Palin is a pretty woman and not matronly at all - I also hate the nerd look with the big dark, thick frames - so ugly - I guess to each its own

I don't follow fashion - I just wear what looks good on me - I make my own fashion - not a sheeple

Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Glasses? Isn't it the 21st century? LASIK or Contacts, get that lip blocker off your mug.
There are some eye imperfections where the optometrist recommends glasses over contacts. And LASIK can be expensive and may have side effects. Glasses vs. contacts vs. LASIK isn't as cut-n-dry as you think.

On topic: I agree with the majority opinion...it depends on the person and his/her facial shape. It's no different than hairstyle, facial hair vs. clean shaven (for men), watches and jewelry, and clothes. In most cases I'm not a big fan of thick-rimmed glasses, but they can look great on women who can pull off the attractive librarian look.

Same goes for sunglasses. I believe aviator shades are very popular these days, but I know they don't suit me so I wear a different style (forgot the name).

Sometimes, the best look on a person could be something that's considered out of style by the trendy sheep.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
rimless only looks good for very low prescriptions or thin lenses, if you have a strong prescription rimless lenses look like a magnifying glass

rimless is more of an "executive" look or someone who stays in an office all day, less durable look

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
i prefer them because of the weight. i don't get the marks on the sides of the nose bridge with the less weight.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Glasses? Isn't it the 21st century? LASIK or Contacts, get that lip blocker off your mug.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in such a world? I have severe retinal issues that prevents me from getting Lasik surgery; and contacts would be wonderful; however, they don't provide the best vision for me. Ah well, such is life. Thank goodness there are glasses!

Of course if I want to ensure I'm "IN" with the latest trends, I shouldn't wear my glasses and just go around walking into everything.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

Of course if I want to ensure I'm "IN" with the latest trends, I shouldn't wear my glasses and just go around walking into everything.
Perfect! Love it! It will also make you look younger since all the teens are walking into walls and traffic now.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Again, in no way are glasses out of fashion.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
For many LASIK isn't an option, they can't afford it, or just don't want it. Many people don't want to lay there while someone is burning their eyeball with a laser smelling their flesh burning. My sister can tell you all about how awful it is. She's had it done twice and still wears glasses because her first one was botched and the second one didn't fix the damage done. She's spent thousands of dollars and all she says got out of it was smelling her eyeballs burn. She would not recommend it to anyone.

Many people can't wear contacts either. My husband has a lazy eyelid and rests on the edge of the contact and it causes problems including infections. Not good! His sister left her contacts in too long once and pealed off the outer layer of her eyeball. That hurt like crazy and took months to heal. She can't wear contacts because of that.

So yes thankfully glasses still exist! Yes, even here in 2015 people need to be able to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty