Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I agree on the premise that Barbie's figure wouldn't have seemed as strange decades ago, when at the same weight women had narrower waists than they do now (source probably produced on request). Also, I'll add Indian women (at least the upper caste, who really are more Middle Eastern) as a group with a natural tendency toward that body shape. I don't know that "most skinny women" could train their waists down to tiny. Organs can only be compressed so much. There is, to point out the elephant in the room, upset in the thread and in Barbie-critical news stories at the implicit (and, to me, valid) point that women (or at least young women) are supposed to have narrow waists.
Yes, it would have seemed strange, because her hips were very narrow. She never could have carried a child in those hips. But the fun of the doll was dressing her with all those outfits, and enjoying the imaginary glamour of it all.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 PM

459 posts, read 767,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it would have seemed strange, because her hips were very narrow. She never could have carried a child in those hips. But the fun of the doll was dressing her with all those outfits, and enjoying the imaginary glamour of it all.
My grandma had 31" hips and she carried 9 kids. And my great great grandma had 15 kids and had similar hips. I have actually read childbearing hips are a myth actually.

Realistically Barrie's hips would be average.

Don't believe me just look at kate Middleton and her son.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
The websites I checked, and others that have been referenced on this forum, say otherwise.

But, whatever.
I gave you 5 links. And you have posted none.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think something is wrong with our food honestly. My mom was "skinny" and her and most of her sisters had sub 20 inch waists pre-kids. She didn't have super slim hips either. My mom had a really teeny waist into her late 20s when she had me and was mostly slim waisted till post-menopause / thyroid issues. This wasn't out of the ordinary 2 generations ago. But even our slimmest celebs have larger waists than their peers in the 40s/50s/60s. And these were not corseted measurements. Our waists are not the same in modern times. Maybe it is the chemicals or hormones.
I like most of your posts but I wasn't allowed to like this so I just wanted to acknowledge it.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Google images of Julie Newmar - remember her as Catwoman? - for a real life Barbie.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:59 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Most petite women don't have the exaggerated long legs barbie has. She wasn't designed to be a toy for girls. She originally was a toy for adult men. That should explain a few things to you about her measurements.
Well that explains so much! Makes perfect sense now why she's a disfigured girl.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Well that explains so much! Makes perfect sense now why she's a disfigured girl.
Ariana grande has long legs and she's my height.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Is a corset surgery? Lol.

I actually know a lot of skinny women who have the dimensions 36-22-33. A corset can easily make a 22" waist into a 16" waist. Barbie was made in the day when this was not out of the norm. Average skinny women wore corsets at that time and looked just like her due to this.

You are not accounting for the following:

• Women were shorter "back in the day"
  • Not every women wore corsets in the 1950s unless you are confusing it w a girdle. Corsets stopped being the norm at the turn of the 20th century or earlier.
  • Women were slimmer "back in the day"
  • Thus the breast measurements are inaccurate as padded bras and breast implants were not the norm.
  • Even a fat woman would have had larger hips to match the breasts
  • Barbie is based on a 5'9" woman. "Back in the day" women were 5 feet to 5'4" on average. (today the average is 5'6")

Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You are not accounting for the following:

• Women were shorter "back in the day"
  • Not every women wore corsets in the 1950s unless you are confusing it w a girdle. Corsets stopped being the norm at the turn of the 20th century or earlier.
  • Women were slimmer "back in the day"
  • Thus the breast measurements are inaccurate as padded bras and breast implants were not the norm.
  • Even a fat woman would have had larger hips to match the breasts
  • Barbie is based on a 5'9" woman. "Back in the day" women were 5 feet to 5'4" on average. (today the average is 5'6")
My grandma was around in the 50's she was very skinny and had boobs bigger than barbs that's why I'm considered small in the family. It was possible then and possible now.

And most vintage beauties did wear corsets.

And most american women are 5'4".

Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
I don't get it. Her figure is typical for a woman who wears a corset. She was created a while ago when corsets were more popular. If you add 6 inches to her waist it's around 36-22-33 which is pretty typical for a skinny woman. Women generally used to wear corsets so why is it wrong for a doll to mirror that image?
First of all, nobody wears corsets or even girdles, now. Secondly, do you measure females you meet and how many have these measurements? Thirdly, "skinny" would be thinner that, like straight up and down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty