Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 06:30 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times

Advertisements

The 80s were the worst for fashion. So much ugliness! I was into punk rock and absolutely despised all the 80s colorful, hideousness. I was a teen in the 80s and never wore any of that stuff. Thank God the 90s came, ushering in much more natural looking clothing (and hair), and all that crap went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I was in my 20s in the eighties. I actually loved the shoulder pads--they gave some definition to my little shoulders, lol . I had big hair, too. I used some different hair colors that gave blue & green highlights to the hair when you were in the sun--and that was early-mid 80s.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Wife used to remove the shoulder pads from her blazers/jackets back in the 80s. Said it made her look too much like a linebacker.
Interesting you mention that. I watched an episode of Punky Brewster, specifically the DeBarge episode. Punky, Cherie, and even the grandmother were sporting the shoulder pads in their shirts. Henry Warnimont referred to it as "the Chicago Bears" look(the show takes place in Chicago).

Old 01-11-2015, 12:18 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Wearing Doc Martins? In the 80s, people wore them. When they were bought out by the Chinese, the quality slipped and people stopped wearing them.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Glance at Warby Parker, Zenni Optical, or any other online frame retailer, and you'll see that oversized plastic frames are exactly what's currently being heavily maketed. I have a sampe tray from Warby Parker sitting on my coffee table right now, and one of the pairs is IDENTICAL to a pair I wore in my sixth grade class picture in 1988.

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglass.../saddle-russet
I've got blue/brown frames like that on right now.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Wife used to remove the shoulder pads from her blazers/jackets back in the 80s. Said it made her look too much like a linebacker.
Yep.
I have shoulders....didn't need those damn pads lol. HATED them, in fact.

I came of age in the 80s. Most of the popular fashion trends of the time were vastly Unpopular in the circles I ran with...but we were stoners way back then lol.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 PM

290 posts, read 366,593 times
80s fashion on the whole, no thanks. Much of the mainstream 80s wear for men was atrocious. I was born in '76 and glad I wasn't any older or I would've been wearing that stuff through high school and college. However I do like the very early 80s (almost late 70s) men's fashions from the UK darkwave/new-wave groups, as well as its American revival in the mid-late 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Wearing Doc Martins? In the 80s, people wore them. When they were bought out by the Chinese, the quality slipped and people stopped wearing them.
I wore them in the 80s-90s, starting in the 6th grade. They were still quite popular throughout the 90s, and well made, at least in the U.S. The last quality pairs I saw were in 2000-2001 and after that, everything I was able to buy (at least living in DMV area at the time) were cheaply made knockoffs from Bangladesh or Cambodia or something, very overpriced and low quality. Anything that came out after the turn of the century does not have the durable sole for which the brand became famous and they are definitely NOT "petrol, fat, tar or alkaline resistant" anymore. In fact, the soles tend to break in half easily/with normal wear and still cannot be repaired or replaced so you're out $150 or more for a shoe you could've just gotten at Payless or Target.

When I was an electrician, I started out wearing Docs, but I bought Carolinas after my last pair of good DMs disappeared in 1999 and I'm kicking myself now. When the Carolinas died in 2003 — and they too have gone downhill but that's another story — the Doc Martens steel toes I replaced them with were a joke. My wife is lucky that she bought one of the last pairs available that were made in the UK. She still has them 15 years later and despite frequent wear and many miles on her soles, they're virtually brand new in appearance and quality. I left the trades a few years ago but the habit of wearing combat-style boots stuck and I've yet to find a boot as durable as my Docs in the 80s and 90s were.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Docs were decidedly out of my price range as a middle schooler.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:02 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Docs were decidedly out of my price range as a middle schooler.
"When my ship comes in" was the usual comment when I ever asked my parents about brands like that.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hey don't knock those wind suits. I had a million of them. So comfortable and versatile. I haven't shopped for a suit in years. Don't women's suits still have some sort of shaping or "shoulder pads" just to give some structure?

Bustle
Hmmm....I never dressed that way, and I'm a definate child of the 80s. The crowd I ran with wore 501s, t shirts, and hooded sweat jackets even. Hoodys have been around a while. Converse was the tenny of choice, high top. That or lace up boots. Red wings were da bomb. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty