U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:21 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post

One thing that I think is unique to this decade (so far) is the dyed bright hair colors - red, blue, pink, purple, green. I don't know if these women are inspired by Lady Gaga or Katy Perry, but it's definitely a thing here right now. It will probably be made fun of in a decade or so, like how we make fun of 80s and 90s fashions today.
Unique? No. Cyndi Lauper (along with a million young New Wave acolytes) was dying her hair candy colors in the 80s. And Manic Panic was around before Katy Perry or Gaga were born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
In middle school /high school for me, the kool kids were using koolaid to dye their hair. The purple haired kid smelled grape for a day or two. This was early 90s.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:42 AM

392 posts, read 252,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Unique? No. Cyndi Lauper (along with a million young New Wave acolytes) was dying her hair candy colors in the 80s. And Manic Panic was around before Katy Perry or Gaga were born.
I admit, I actually thought of Cyndi Lauper for a brief moment while typing that post earlier. But when I watch any media from the 80s (including VHS home movies), dyed bright hair is nowhere to be seen. Some New Wave musicians did have it like you said (I think Depeche Mode was another, if they count as New Wave) but no one else as far as I could tell. I didn't see any dyed bright hair in the 90s as a kid, and I certainly didn't see it in the 2000s. For all I know, it was around, but it must have been extremely obscure because I don't remember seeing it even once.

This decade, on the other hand, I see it every time I go out in the town.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:58 AM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
There was lots of bright hair in the 90s at my school. And I didn't live in a hip urban area. But only the grunge/punk kids did it. Now it is more widespread.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:59 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,437,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post

One thing that I think is unique to this decade (so far) is the dyed bright hair colors - red, blue, pink, purple, green. I don't know if these women are inspired by Lady Gaga or Katy Perry, but it's definitely a thing here right now. It will probably be made fun of in a decade or so, like how we make fun of 80s and 90s fashions today.
Lol!!

Oh honey, all of my friends' hair was "manic panic" colors in the 90's. It actually goes way back to punk rock in the UK in the 1970s. Guys too.

I think today it is a bit more mainstream. I wouldn't think of those w fake colored hair today as "outsiders" or "making a statement. " Today it's a trendy and hip thing to do.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:06 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,437,543 times
As for the shoulder pads, I've heard of "power dressing" but my grandmother always told me it was to make the waist look smaller. This is how it probably started in the 1930s.

I always cut them out too. I don't really understand why they were in STILL in TEEN clothes in the 1990s!? I remember shopping for formal dresses that had them.

And I'm noticing them coming back in coats and jackets too. WTF! !??

Old 01-09-2015, 10:14 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
One of my favorite looks in the 80s was wearing ankle-length jeans with zippers at the ankle with high-heeled pumps. Usually this was with a big sweater or big sweatshirt. I think it could still look cool today.

One other thing I HATED in the 80s was the "jellies" shoes. It started off one summer, maybe around 1983, with rubber shoes that looked like woven sandals. Sure, rubber sandals to wear around the pool or beach were fine. But then they started selling rubber shoes that were more like pumps, to be worn in non-pool, non-beach settings. Ugh, girls changing for gym in the locker room had awful smelly feet because they were wearing those "jelly" shoes.

Maybe that's why the trend started with wearing little lace socks with pumps, to deal with the horrible sweaty foot fungus that came from the jelly pumps?

I also hated late-80s "acid wash" denim. Ugh, it was so ugly and persisted into the 90s. Stonewashed, bleached and overdyed jeans were fine in my book, but not those horrible acid washed. Pure white-trash look.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:19 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,562,933 times
The irony is that kids' fashion right now most closely reflects the 80's (of recent decades). Overly tight, absurd color combinations, that was like the definition of the 80's...peacocking. Fashion is cyclical, and it repeats itself approximately every generation or so as the previous wearers become parents and raise their kids. The 90's were like the 60's, the 00's were like the 70's, and we can expect the 2020's to be like the 90's.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM

15,548 posts, read 8,734,436 times
Fashion for the kids who attend the local high school is pretty much dark wash jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies with the school's logo. The girls also favor Grandpa cardigans over camisoles. Pea coats, thanks to Sherlock, are gaining traction. Fan wear is hot. Lots of boots, mostly mid-calf, lace-up style. Make-up is natural if worn at all. Girls' hair is long and straight, often in a pony tail or bun. Few have dyed hair. Boys are hard to tell, because they're almost always wearing beanies. Matte black or gray nail polish on short nails is popular. Some kids sport multiple piercings, but not gauged or through cartilage. Earrings are small, really small.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 AM

2,200 posts, read 1,444,703 times
80s. I sometimes wore a bandanna rolled up, around my head. Uggh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty