U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 01:03 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,065,950 times

Advertisements

One thing I always wondered about is when men started growing their hair long in the 60's many people freaked out, but if you look at history ,men have always have had very long hair.didnt these people ever study history or look at paints from centuries past??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 01:54 PM

460 posts, read 625,989 times
I don't know, but for some reason I have a very strong reaction to seeing men with long hair, especially if it is in a pony tail. It drives me nuts, though I know it shouldn't. I just want to duct tape the man to a hair and shave his head. I am just convinced he would thank me after once he realizes how much better he looks.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:54 PM

12,544 posts, read 11,916,135 times
Some did. Then there were the Romans, who cut their hair short because they associated long hair with barbarians. It was a class thing.

I like the look of long hair on a man, if it's nicely cared for and clean, though I've never dated anyone with it. My all-time favorite photo of a pro athlete is of Chris Simon in the late 1990s. I'd get to the arena in time for the pre-game skate just to watch him skate around without a helmet. The man was beautiful.

I just wish this whole "man bun" thing would go away. Only man who should be wearing a bun is a Samurai. Just my opinion, and I'm sure there will be people who disagree. But the way I see it, if he has nice hair, it deserves better than to be shoved into a messy, ratty knot.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:21 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
One thing I always wondered about is when men started growing their hair long in the 60's many people freaked out, but if you look at history ,men have always have had very long hair.didnt these people ever study history or look at paints from centuries past??
No, they didn't study history. The long hair fashion came on the heels of an ultra-conservative post-WWII culture where short, quasi-military cuts were the accepted style. Young men who wore their hair very long in the 60's and after were rebelling against the hyper-conservatism and conformism of that post-War period.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Some did. Then there were the Romans, who cut their hair short because they associated long hair with barbarians. It was a class thing.

I like the look of long hair on a man, if it's nicely cared for and clean, though I've never dated anyone with it. My all-time favorite photo of a pro athlete is of Chris Simon in the late 1990s. I'd get to the arena in time for the pre-game skate just to watch him skate around without a helmet. The man was beautiful.

I just wish this whole "man bun" thing would go away. Only man who should be wearing a bun is a Samurai. Just my opinion, and I'm sure there will be people who disagree. But the way I see it, if he has nice hair, it deserves better than to be shoved into a messy, ratty knot.
Where is a hair bun for men popular? I haven't seen that. But I would agree; if a man has nice long hair, he should wear it down. Or in a braid or pony tail, depending.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:57 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,573,224 times
I saw a hair bun on a waiter just this afternoon. I'm not a particular fan of it, either. Actually, I don't care for long hair on men generally, but if they do have it I'd rather see it worn loose. Although for those working in the food service industry, of course tied back somehow.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM

8,541 posts, read 5,262,232 times
I'd like to see more men with long hair get fancy with it. Like these guys:
Guys with fancy lady hair... - The Meta Picture

Old 01-10-2015, 04:59 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Like every style, the main impetus is simply to look different from the preceding trend.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:03 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,578,951 times
One question: When you think of a very wise old man (historical or fictional), what does his beard and hairstyle look like in your mind?

Exactly....

Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 PM

12,544 posts, read 11,916,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where is a hair bun for men popular? I haven't seen that. But I would agree; if a man has nice long hair, he should wear it down. Or in a braid or pony tail, depending.
It's very fashionable now, thanks to Jared Leto.

20 Man Buns That Will Ruin You For Short-Haired Guys

It's part of this whole lumbersexual thing that is equally obnoxious, with the big beards that look like there are probably entire colonies of beetles crawling around in them.

I'm convinced these guys are going to look back on this in 10, 15 years much the way people looked back on 70s-era bell-bottoms in the late 80s and 80s-era shoulder pads in the late 90s, like, "WHAT were we THINKING?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or