U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM

342 posts, read 900,745 times

Advertisements

Am not sure where exactly does this post fit whether here or in traveling section, but I know some places doesn't allow to carry cosmetics along with you in airplane.

I am flying with delta this weekend to another state and I have to carry liquid foundation, powdered foundation, lipstick, face cream/lotion and eye liner with me. Somewhere I had read petroleum jelly is not allowed on plane and I read some cosmetics have petroleum jelly in it. I used to checkin my bags always so never had any problem. But this time, I am just flying somewhere for a day and don't wish to put money in bag checkin just for cosmetics.

Are these allowed to be carried along in plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM

3,836 posts, read 6,605,387 times
Yes. You can look on the tsa.gov to see what is currently allowed.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post

Google gets you this...

3-1-1 Liquids Rule | Transportation Security Administration

Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
From TSA.gov:

You may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person, placed in the screening bin. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:10 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
There's no problem with petroleum jelly. Your liquid foundation and lotion will need to go in your 3-1-1 quart sized bag. The rest can be carried however you want.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:01 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Anything you don't want taken, put in that qt. zip-lock bag! Petroleum jelly isn't prohibited, as long as it's not over 3.4 oz! Same with all liquids/gels....unless it's medication.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:10 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,846,998 times
Quote:
Am not sure where exactly does this post fit whether here or in traveling section, but I know some places doesn't allow to carry cosmetics along with you in airplane.

I am flying with delta this weekend to another state and I have to carry liquid foundation, powdered foundation, lipstick, face cream/lotion and eye liner with me. Somewhere I had read petroleum jelly is not allowed on plane and I read some cosmetics have petroleum jelly in it. I used to checkin my bags always so never had any problem. But this time, I am just flying somewhere for a day and don't wish to put money in bag checkin just for cosmetics.

Only the face lotion and liquid foundation would really be considered liquids. Maybe the eyeliner. Unless you are bringing way more than you need, you could just put it all in a clear plastic bag and you should have no trouble being under the limit. Although honestly, I'm sure I've gone through security with some mascara or eye liner laying somewhere in the bottom of my purse and it's never been an issue.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:35 PM

72,647 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:

Why wouldn't be allowed? Do your cosmetic supplies come in big bottles? Any normal-sized cosmetics are allowed.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
A full-size bottle of shampoo or something wouldn't be allowed. But most travel-sized personal care items are fine, as well as most standard-sized cosmetics. As long as they are stowed correctly.

But like others say, I've definitely gone through with tubes of lipbalm, hand sanitizer, etc. in my purse, and not had an issue, is it happens. Anything you don't want to risk having to throw out at the gate, though, just make sure it's of the aforementioned size and in a Ziploc.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:12 AM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
I haven't checked a bag in years, and always fly with my makeup. I usually just put the basics into a smaller cosmetic bag and have never been questioned. I don't think I normally even take it out of my purse... But if you want to be cautious, just put them in a zip lock bag, and you'll be fine.

The only time when I've had anything confiscated by TSA was when I had an unopened jar of peanut butter. TSA said it was considered a liquid and wasn't allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or