Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 AM

75 posts, read 88,420 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy and so I've never really paid much attention to this. Recently I decided to pay at little bit more attention to fashion and try to do a better job with matching. I think I did get better at this. I did a better job matching tops with bottoms. Then I started thinking shoes which complicated things a bit and then outerwear (coats/jackets) which complicated it even more.

I had a choice whether to purchase brown or black boots. I went with brown. But my jackets are black and some of my shorts are black. So did I make the wrong choice? Or do I need both brown and black? If I go with brown, do I need a different color jacket/coat? Could I swear a black shirt with blue jeans and brown shoes? Or am I overthinking this? From everything I've read, brown and black are not a good mix.

I have similar difficulties with summer clothes. I was debating whether to purchase white or black sneakers to wear with shorts. Seems that white (or brown) goes better with some combinations and black goes better with other combinations. Should I have a white (or brown) AND a black pair? Or just decide on a few colors to wear for both tops and bottoms and stick to white/brown or black? Or is I best to avoid black altogether in the summer? I have black shorts and tee.

This is all getting to be a bit confusing so I thought I would post this and maybe get some ideas. Or just forget about the color matching altogether lol. I could purchase a couple more pairs of shoes but then again, I don't want a closet full of shoes like a girl lol. How many is too many for a guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,130,086 times
It seems color matching has changed over the past few years (ie., mixing brown and black is okay) but I like the more traditional combinations--not mixing black and brown. If you can, get a good pair of shoes in black, and a pair in brown--then you're covered. For healthy feet, don't wear the same shoes more than a day or two in a row. Sorry, I can't advise you on the sneakers but wouldn't black or white go with everything? Don't sorry about having too many shoes.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 AM

102,086 posts, read 107,144,259 times
Good questions. It's best to have a couple of basic colors in shoes. Brown and black, + white for summer. For example, if you're wearing light-colored shorts and a white T-shirt, it would be best to have white shoes for that, not black. Besides, you wouldn't want to be wearing the same shoes everyday, anyway, would you? Ew, sweaty! What happens when they need washing? You need a spare pair. It's a matter of practicality, as much as it is about fashion. It's ok to have a couple of summer shoes, and a couple of winter shoes.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
I personally like black and camel shoes for a perfect shoe wardeobe for me. Then oxblood.

The camel works with the same stuff brown does but works well with lighter colors too.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:50 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,240,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
I had a choice whether to purchase brown or black boots. I went with brown. But my jackets are black and some of my shorts are black. So did I make the wrong choice?
More importantly than color choice ... don't wear boots with shorts.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
It seems color matching has changed over the past few years (ie., mixing brown and black is okay) but I like the more traditional combinations--not mixing black and brown. If you can, get a good pair of shoes in black, and a pair in brown--then you're covered. For healthy feet, don't wear the same shoes more than a day or two in a row. Sorry, I can't advise you on the sneakers but wouldn't black or white go with everything? Don't sorry about having too many shoes.
The only shoes I wear more than two days in a row are work shoes so the only reason I would have more than one color of a particular type of shoe would be color matching.

I have heard that both white and black are neutral colors. If we're talking winter, it would likely be brown and black since I wouldn't wear white boots and I've been told that white sneakers with jeans look too much "like Jerry Seinfeld". As far as summer goes, I'm sure white shoes would match black shorts and a gray shirt (for example) but black shoes would likely be a better match. And white shoes would probably be a better match with khaki/tan color shorts. I guess it depends on color combination.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good questions. It's best to have a couple of basic colors in shoes. Brown and black, + white for summer. For example, if you're wearing light-colored shorts and a white T-shirt, it would be best to have white shoes for that, not black. Besides, you wouldn't want to be wearing the same shoes everyday, anyway, would you? Ew, sweaty! What happens when they need washing? You need a spare pair. It's a matter of practicality, as much as it is about fashion. It's ok to have a couple of summer shoes, and a couple of winter shoes.
You bring up some good points. The shoes that I wear the most are dress shoes for work and I have a brown and a black pair. The other shoes are not worn every day so I wasn't so sure if it would be worth investing in another pair or two. This is what I have currently:

2 pairs of dress shoes (brown and black)
1 pair of gym shoes for working out
1 old pair of hiking shoes (for outdoor stuff)
1 pair of black sneakers (casual for spring/summer)
1 pair of brown boots (for winter)
1 pair of black flip flops
1 pair of snow boots

I thought this might be too many. I was thinking of adding white sneakers and/or black boots and/or brown flip flops. I had a choice between brown and black boots and went with brown. I thought they looked better. When I think of the outfits I wear in the winter (black/gray/green top) with blue jeans and black jacket, black would probably be a better choice in most cases.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,253,851 times
I don't know if I necessarily "pay attention" in any real way, but I do know my own preference for dress is to dress monochromatically. I prefer the entire outfit to showcase similar color palates, if possible.

Mixing and matching of bold or bright colors is a thing I see lots of women doing, and frankly, I think it's ugly.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I don't know if I necessarily "pay attention" in any real way, but I do know my own preference for dress is to dress monochromatically. I prefer the entire outfit to showcase similar color palates, if possible.

Mixing and matching of bold or bright colors is a thing I see lots of women doing, and frankly, I think it's ugly.

Monochromatically....that is mainly black, gray, white, right? As opposed to "earth tone" colors like tan, green, etc. I think that's what is complicating things for me. I used to just stick to blue, black, white, gray. I've added some more color and that tends to make matching a little more challenging.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,253,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
Monochromatically....that is mainly black, gray, white, right? As opposed to "earth tone" colors like tan, green, etc. I think that's what is complicating things for me. I used to just stick to blue, black, white, gray. I've added some more color and that tends to make matching a little more challenging.
No. Monochromatically means the entire outfit is of similar color or tone, which can be any color I suppose. I like whites and grays together; grays, silvers, and aquas; browns and earthtones; aquas and cool pastels; or blacks and silvers/blacks alone, etc. Each color combination tends to favor a similar palate. I don't know if I'm describing it correctly, but this is how I tend to think of it.

I would never wear say....bright reds or yellows together. I don't wear reds at all, though.

I see women wear crazy combinations like pinks, browns, and greens. To that I say yuk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty