Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Those of you who think jeans are not fashionable, need to do a little research. Jeans can be paired with beautiful, simple silk blouses, a nice necklace, a stylish blazer or cashmere sweater and high heels...it is a great look for those who are slender and this look can go most places and be completely appropriate. Log on to the websites of almost any fashionable chain of women's clothing and you will find jeans being shown both paired down and dressed up. Here is a video from Banana republic showing different ways to wear jeans.

Women's Apparel: Pants, Dresses, Jeans, Sweaters, Suits, Skirts, Blouses & Jackets | Banana Republic

J. Crew, Anthropologie, Ann Taylor, The Loft, Banana Republic, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap, Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards - women's jeans are a main attraction at all of these stores. Not only are jeans a main feature but they are also shown being paired with beautiful clothing and accessories as well as casual t-shirts and blouses.

Get with it folks - a stylish pair of jeans is a comfortable, go-almost anywhere neutral that is in style in many cosmopolitan cities around the world.
Also, jeans doesn't have to mean the typical blue-jeans. Jeans come in a wide variety of colors, styles and fabrics (corduroy, for example). You can wear them a lot of different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisztián View Post
I hear in Europe that people in U.S.A. dress bad. Is that true or not? I cannot know if it is true or not 'cause I never was in U.S.A.
IN general, I believe that people here in the US dress up for comfort. I know exactly what you are talking about though. In general, people in Europe and Asia dress up better.
But rule of thumb is that big metropolitan cities with worldwide influences usually have the best dressed ones.
I come from Miami, it is one of them.
Others that I can think of and I have lived and traveled to include: NYC / Manhattan, LA - Orange County, Dallas, Austin and Boston.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In my lifetime (and I'm not saying how long that is...) Europeans have dressed more fashionably and less casually than Americans. This is a generality, of course, because I didn't meet EVERY person. European visitors always commented on how poorly we Americans dressed and when I went to Europe I saw it for myself.

To me dressing better means being well groomed, neat, stylish, and wearing quality clothing. It doesn't necessarily equate to how much they paid for their clothing. I would mention good taste too but how do you define that? Where I live loud colors and flashiness would be in bad taste but that might be great somewhere else. Bright colors are great in tropical climates; for some reason more subdued colors seem to prevail in cold climates--they SEEM to from what I have seen for myself. There are exceptions and I'm not trying to sound like an expert because I'm not!
I agree with you. And whatever considered to be dress nicely in Europe and Asia is considered to be "gay" or 'metrosexual' in certain part; albeit secluded part of the US. That really baffles me.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Good example of this is Buckhead Vs. Bankhead.

Even in the presence of so many corporate HQ's, ATL is still quite poor. Child poverty is a major issue .
Hey, I thought u were in Jersey?
U moved to Atlanta>?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM

107 posts, read 155,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I would argue this. Yoga pants are the first thing that comes to mind. They are extremely visually pleasing, an aspect that is very important to a lot of men that I know. But they're pretty much the opposite of sophistication (which as you pointed out, may or may not matter to men). It matters to me (and I'm a guy), but I'm aware that my definition may not fit all.
You missed my idea. I had in mind that to men when they are clothing themselves, sophistication and visual preseantry are not present (when they are present, something is obviously wrong). Of course, to men, when they are judging how women are clothed, visual pleasantry is important.

And, plase, yoga pant's aren't in any way visually pleasing. It is something different that is, if you haven't realized it yet. And most of women, that wear yoga pants lacks this visually pleasing element, which leads to visually very unpleasant view. Yoga pants doesn't make woman visually pleasing. It only can emphasize that visual pleasantry which a girl already have. Otherwise wearing them leads to tragedy in public.

Saying that yoga pants are extremely visually pleasing is certainly not the way it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I agree with you. And whatever considered to be dress nicely in Europe and Asia is considered to be "gay" or 'metrosexual' in certain part; albeit secluded part of the US. That really baffles me.
??

Any example or proof?

For many girls and also guys (when they compare they handsomeness to other guys) the sexiest and the most desireable cloth to wear by men is uniform. I agree with it. It is widely agreed in many Eastern European nations, even in national proverbs. Uniform is regarded that, cause it symbolizes something. anhood.

Maybe you don't associate manhood with uniform? And consider manhood as homosexual? Or uniform as homosexual?

It would be one of the most abhorrent things I've ever heard.

Last edited by Yenisey; 01-22-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Those of you who think jeans are not fashionable, need to do a little research. Jeans can be paired with beautiful, simple silk blouses, a nice necklace, a stylish blazer or cashmere sweater and high heels...it is a great look for those who are slender and this look can go most places and be completely appropriate. Log on to the websites of almost any fashionable chain of women's clothing and you will find jeans being shown both paired down and dressed up. Here is a video from Banana republic showing different ways to wear jeans.

Women's Apparel: Pants, Dresses, Jeans, Sweaters, Suits, Skirts, Blouses & Jackets | Banana Republic

J. Crew, Anthropologie, Ann Taylor, The Loft, Banana Republic, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap, Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillards - women's jeans are a main attraction at all of these stores. Not only are jeans a main feature but they are also shown being paired with beautiful clothing and accessories as well as casual t-shirts and blouses.

Get with it folks - a stylish pair of jeans is a comfortable, go-almost anywhere neutral that is in style in many cosmopolitan cities around the world.
I agree with you.
Jeans are staple in most designers outlets.
From Armani, Dolce and Gabbana, Yohji Yamammoto, MOschino (although after Jeremy Scoot took over, it is way too Wal Mart ish for me), Prada, etc always have jeans as a aprt on what they sell in their stores and / or online.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was countering the idea that wearing jeans = "poorly dressed". Not sure how you missed that.
I didn't. I was pointing out that it's not necessarily a counter.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:50 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
You missed my idea. I had in mind that to men when they are clothing themselves, sophistication and visual preseantry are not present (when they are present, something is obviously wrong). Of course, to men, when they are judging how women are clothed, visual pleasantry is important.
1) In general, for men, I'd agree. However, I'm one of many men that feels differently.

2) Regarding your note about how women are clothed...women are included in the world of fashion as well, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
And, plase, yoga pant's aren't in any way visually pleasing. It is something different that is, if you haven't realized it yet. And most of women, that wear yoga pants lacks this visually pleasing element, which leads to visually very unpleasant view. Yoga pants doesn't make woman visually pleasing. It only can emphasize that visual pleasantry which a girl already have. Otherwise wearing them leads to tragedy in public.

Saying that yoga pants are extremely visually pleasing is certainly not the way it works.
That's going to depend a lot on who you're talking to. I'm not a fan, but people love them, and not necessarily for the simplistic reasons you list. Monochromatic (as many yoga pants are) + sporty = something some people find visually pleasing.

Edit2: Deleted irrelevant response.

Edit: Besides, that's the problems with examples and analogies; someone will always disagree. If you're having trouble getting it, then replace "yoga pants" with any other example that comes to mind for you. My point was that something can meet one of those categories, but be extremely lacking in others, and that's not something I'd deem fashionable. Naturally, others may disagree.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:24 PM

107 posts, read 155,001 times
Quote:
2) Regarding your note about how women are clothed...women are included in the world of fashion as well, you know.
No. Women are world of fashion. For men fashion is useless. Unless you are spoiled.

Quote:
That's going to depend a lot on who you're talking to. I'm not a fan, but people love them, and not necessarily for the simplistic reasons you list. Monochromatic (as many yoga pants are) + sporty = something some people find visually pleasing. [...] If you're having trouble getting it.
What you have wrote doesn't make any sense to me. I don't discuss with your statements, because there is no point in your statements as far as I see. I was just stating that there is no good-look treat in yoga pants. Unless girl is pretty, they will look as bad as everything on not-as-much-pretty girl. This is what I've said above.

Visually pleaseantry is not a condition of pants, but a girl. Makeup or colthing only emphasize beauty, not create it. I don't know how one cannnot realize it.

And, to answer to the thread title.

I do not know what are the best dressed states, but I know what does it mean to be well dressed. To be well dressed is to be clothed in good deeds. Hope in every state people will have courage to be clothed in them.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Hey, I thought u were in Jersey?
U moved to Atlanta>?
I'm doing my graduate school down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty