U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,077,281 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am a mom that dresses casually most of the time, think clothes from Gap, fleeces, outdoorsy athletic looking stuff, jeans that type of thing. Recently, I'd say the past 2-3 years or so, I can't seem to find ANY comfy casual shoes. Love the retro sneaks - adidas, puma, onitsuka tiger (sp). Love flats, the problem is absolutely nothing is comfortable! I believe the second you put the shoe on, it should feel great with no breaking in period.

I have noticed a distinct downgrade in the quality of all shoes. Yeah, the pseudo leather that costs the same as real leather and I think that might have something to do with it.

I have shopped in stores, online, high end, low end - nothing .

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 PM

19,645 posts, read 53,581,730 times
SoftWalk flats are super comfortable. Cost about $100 or more.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,857,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Ok, I am a mom that dresses casually most of the time, think clothes from Gap, fleeces, outdoorsy athletic looking stuff, jeans that type of thing. Recently, I'd say the past 2-3 years or so, I can't seem to find ANY comfy casual shoes. Love the retro sneaks - adidas, puma, onitsuka tiger (sp). Love flats, the problem is absolutely nothing is comfortable! I believe the second you put the shoe on, it should feel great with no breaking in period.

I have noticed a distinct downgrade in the quality of all shoes. Yeah, the pseudo leather that costs the same as real leather and I think that might have something to do with it.

I have shopped in stores, online, high end, low end - nothing .

Suggestions?
Ahnu Karma shoe. Super comfortable, walk all day in it, plus it looks nice. I ordered mine from Zappos.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:18 PM

1,796 posts, read 6,077,281 times
Thanks guys!! . I will check both of these out! Just looked, the Ahnu Karma is more my style. Mnseca, does the elastic heel pinch or bother you at all?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:22 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,857,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks guys!! . I will check both of these out! Just looked, the Ahnu Karma is more my style. Mnseca, does the elastic heel pinch or bother you at all?
No, it's not that kind of elastic - it's loose and soft, not binding. I've worn these around the house like slippers, they are that comfortable.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 PM

15,829 posts, read 4,945,738 times
Merrell's Jungle Mocs are hands down the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. They're like slippers.

Women

I am also extremely fond of my Clarks Un.Loop slip ons.

Un.Loop in Black - Womens Shoes from Clarks

The athletic shoes I like best are Saucony, though I can't find a link to the exact model I wear.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,277,499 times
Taos has some cute and comfortable women's shoes.
Untold - Taos - Shoes & Footwear - TheWalkingCompany.com
Step It Up - Taos - Shoes & Footwear - TheWalkingCompany.com

There are a ton of options here to look through:
Women's Ballet Flats Casual Shoes Everyday - The Walking Company

Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 PM

18,952 posts, read 12,537,381 times
You weren't very specific about why the shoes don't feel good. Perhaps you can't handle flats any more. Perhaps you need more under your food than you used to. I find Dansko, Wolky, and Footprints to be comfortable. If you shop QVC, you might try Orthaheel shoes.

I haven't been able to wear flats in decades because my feet are flat, with not much natural cushioning on the bottoms of my feet.

In terms of quality, I buy very good quality shoes, because I have to. I don't feel that the quality of lines like Dansko are different, but they might cost more. I also have sizing difficulties that keep me from wearing most American brands. But there are good shoes out there.

I buy mostly from Zappos, actually. But before that I bought from a local store that specialized in fitting difficult feet. So I learned what lines of shoes I could wear from trying on all sorts of brands. But I love Zappos! You pay no shipping. Keep the shoes for a year, and if you have not worn them, you can return. Returns are prepaid. Selection is fabulous, which is important if you are hard to fit.

So, I'd seek out some comfort brands to try: Aravon, Naot, Ecco, Dansko, Wolky, Merrell, Footprints by Birkenstock. And here is a trick that I use from time to time: buy extra cushioning at the drugstore or big box store to put in the shoe for comfort.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM

4,878 posts, read 4,575,356 times
Josef Seibel has some great comfortable shoes. I like to try shoes on and the only place that I can
find his shoes is Nordstroms. Some of the shoes on the website are only available in the UK.
They are very well made and a bit more expensive (but they do last).

Women's Collection: The European Comfort Shoe

Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,444,998 times
Most comfortable shoes I've worn in ages. Bought a second pair for when these wear out!

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...CoHUgwTCpYHwCQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or