U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 AM

73,007 posts, read 64,496,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Discuss
Why? There's nothing to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

685 posts, read 533,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'd say it's the other way around. Beautiful people are quite often more intelligent.
Based on the person and society, they may be more intelligent. Pretty women and men have more contact with people and those higher up the totem pole. So, they have more access to information.
A college teacher may give a pretty person a better grade (subconsciously or not). I watch it happen and I lived through it.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM

685 posts, read 533,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'd say it's the other way around. Beautiful people are quite often more intelligent.
Based on the person and society, they may be more intelligent. Pretty women and men have more contact with people and those higher up the totem pole. So, they have more access to information.
A college teacher may give a pretty person a better grade (subconsciously or not).

My last company hired a pretty, young woman who I interviewed (one of a couple) for a slot. She had no experience and I recommended not hiring her in a department of men. I had zero chance of my voice counting.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM

14,675 posts, read 29,779,394 times
No.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:09 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,864,042 times
Well, you know what Madeline Smith said:

'The most irritating thing is when people assume that because you have a large bosom, you're going to be vapid and silly. I fail to see what glands have got to do with brains.'

Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM

10,098 posts, read 10,640,894 times
If you look at celebrities of both sexes, many of whom seem to be both physically attractive and pretty dim, it is worth keeping in mind that they have devoted a disproportionate share of their time to achieving and maintaining physical beauty, and often a correspondingly smaller share of their time in education, study, and general intellectual pursuits.

Take a girl who starts a modeling career at age 15 or 16 and spends the next ten or so years learning how to be pretty in front of a camera, while her age consort spends a lot of that time going to school and learning about sciences and the liberal arts, what do you expect the outcome to be?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 AM

11,843 posts, read 7,748,315 times
Some folks born more intelligent but it needs to be enriched overtime or else it just goes to waste.

Beauty can be both a detriment or a benefit. I believe beauty for a women is detriment to their intelligence because there are too many advantages to leverage their beauty rather than use their minds to get things done.

For men, beauty is a benefit to their intelligence. Because a good looking intelligent man goes much further than just a good looking woman.

Last edited by vision33r; 01-26-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

6,941 posts, read 7,686,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If you look at celebrities of both sexes, many of whom seem to be both physically attractive and pretty dim, it is worth keeping in mind that they have devoted a disproportionate share of their time to achieving and maintaining physical beauty, and often a correspondingly smaller share of their time in education, study, and general intellectual pursuits...while her age consort spends a lot of that time going to school and learning about sciences and the liberal arts, what do you expect the outcome to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Some folks born more intelligent but it needs to be enriched overtime or else it just goes to waste.
This is NUTS. Going to school or college, or studying things, has nothing at all to do with intelligence. All of that is "education", which has nothing to do with intelligence. Intelligence is something people are born with; they are capable of thinking for themselves and sizing things up quickly. They may or may not be educated; if not, they are still quick thinkers, and likely to be successful. It never "goes to waste".

There is definitely a correlation between intelligence and basic attractive looks. Note I did not say "beauty", as too many people confuse that with gym work-outs, hairstyles, make-up, and clothes - which are entirely unrelated. Intelligent people have a look of quickness, sharpness and thoughtfulness in their eyes, which makes them look more attractive. The eyes are the #1 giveaway to intelligence, and a large component of good looks.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:55 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,910,084 times
I'm not.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,577,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Physical appearance has no bearing on intelligence one way or the other.
It has no bearing on "inherent" intelligence...how intelligent one is naturally. However, there are two other factors that can screw up the perception of that statement:

1) If someone is attractive and is accustomed to getting their way as a result of being so, they might be less inclined to pursue academic endeavors; the pursuit of learning. Some people find learning fun (and that wouldn't change whether someone is attractive or not), but for those who don't...attractive people would be less likely to buckle down and learn anyway if they don't have to.

2) If the attractive person's parents subscribed to #1, that influence could trickle down through family values and learning could prove to be less of a priority. I'd suspect this is less likely than #1, but certainly still exists.

#1 is the more likely/relevant possibility. It also has a bearing relative to why intelligent people are more likely to be lazy. (disclaimer for the inevitable responses: I never said that attractive people are stupid or that intelligent people are lazy. But you'll see a "higher than average" correlation between the two).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or