Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Women who are more beautiful are sometimes *perceived* as less intelligent, and beautiful women sometimes *act* less intelligent because they know that this is what their audience wants..
Reminds me of that Family Guy episode with Lauren Conrad, who appeared to be a vapid beautiful woman on the face of things, but was actually highly intelligent, articulate and had deep interests in fine art and literature. Whether this is a portrayal of reality or not is another thing, but it does raise some interesting questions. Apparently, American doesn't like smart women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
There's at least some data that indicates that beautiful people are more intelligence than average.
Most of the research suggests a moderately strong correlation between IQ and physical attractiveness.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
There's at least some data that indicates that beautiful people are more intelligence than average.

Well, that's just beautiful!!!

(Pun)

Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Most of the research suggests a moderately strong correlation between IQ and physical attractiveness.
Well how do you explain people like me?

I'm said to be highly intelligent, wise, intuitive, handsome...

Wait, what??

...Oh.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I often find beautiful women (brunettes with smooth peachy skin) to be the smarter ones.
Damn! My skin is more olive toned so I guess I'm more dumber.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
If anything, higher intelligence tends to be correlated with increased physical attractiveness. At least that is what several studies have shown.
Actually the studies have shown that higher intelligence is PERCEIVED the more attractive one is. FWIW- This has not been my experience.

My gut tells me it's 50/50 but that is a very difficult and subjective thing to measure.

My personal experience is that people EXPECT me to be dumb (who knows why, maybe the way I dress but I'm a moderately attractive female.) Because of this, I have learned how to "act dumb" using the male feedback that i get- purely for my own sociological amusement.

OTOH- I probably make an effort to over compensate the "appearance and illusion of intelligence" when needed such as job interviews and meeting a date's parents.

IDK.... Are fat people always jovial? Or is this stereotype true yet an over compensation for their social status?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, you know what Madeline Smith said:

'The most irritating thing is when people assume that because you have a large bosom, you're going to be vapid and silly. I fail to see what glands have got to do with brains.'
^ Of course! I just remembered why people think I'm dumb and why i overcompensate. Seriously. Excellent point.

I would love to see HONEST responses to THAT question!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is NUTS. Going to school or college, or studying things, has nothing at all to do with intelligence. All of that is "education", which has nothing to do with intelligence. Intelligence is something people are born with; they are capable of thinking for themselves and sizing things up quickly. They may or may not be educated; if not, they are still quick thinkers, and likely to be successful. It never "goes to waste".

There is definitely a correlation between intelligence and basic attractive looks. Note I did not say "beauty", as too many people confuse that with gym work-outs, hairstyles, make-up, and clothes - which are entirely unrelated. Intelligent people have a look of quickness, sharpness and thoughtfulness in their eyes, which makes them look more attractive. The eyes are the #1 giveaway to intelligence, and a large component of good looks.

^ Actually, higher education is said to "raise IQ points" by up to 20 points.

Other predictors of "intelligence":

- parents education
- SES including household income
- skin color (not very PC and many dispute this due to tests not being "culturally fair")
- Male (again, mostly still white old men making the tests.)

Old 01-27-2015, 02:45 AM

26 posts, read 29,848 times
i think beautiful people are more often intelligent than not but i never thought of it as a correlation, more of a result along with intellect. generally, wealthier people are better educated and also tend to take care of themselves more. due to their wealth they usually eat healthier which would also result in better attractiveness, being able to grow properly and also because looking healthy is attractive in itself. people who are wealthy are also more likely to marry someone attractive and have better looking children.

but does this mean beautiful people are of superior intelligence? no. does this mean normal folk are dumb? no. i personally don't believe there's a correlation unless it means that having healthier genes result in a higher intelligence, that might make for a case.

although, this is just me pondering. i honestly have no clue what i'm talking about.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meringue View Post
i think beautiful people are more often intelligent than not but i never thought of it as a correlation, more of a result along with intellect. generally, wealthier people are better educated and also tend to take care of themselves more. due to their wealth they usually eat healthier which would also result in better attractiveness, being able to grow properly and also because looking healthy is attractive in itself. people who are wealthy are also more likely to marry someone attractive and have better looking children.

but does this mean beautiful people are of superior intelligence? no. does this mean normal folk are dumb? no. i personally don't believe there's a correlation unless it means that having healthier genes result in a higher intelligence, that might make for a case.

although, this is just me pondering. i honestly have no clue what i'm talking about.
You're talking about education, which is not the same as intelligence. Wealthy people are typically more educated because they have to manage their money better.

But, when's the last time you see someone beautiful win the nobel peace prize for science, math, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty