U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,906,668 times

Advertisements

I've said this on other threads, so I might as well say it here: "Beauty fades, but stupid lasts forever". Best to get to know someone first regardless of their looks. . . forever is a long time to be married to an idiot or someone who ill-treats you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,979,775 times
People seem to think I'm smarter than I really am...I wonder how I should take that?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,913,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Take a girl who starts a modeling career at age 15 or 16 and spends the next ten or so years learning how to be pretty in front of a camera, while her age consort spends a lot of that time going to school and learning about sciences and the liberal arts, what do you expect the outcome to be?
It means they are less educated, not less intelligent.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:37 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,207,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Reminds me of that Family Guy episode with Lauren Conrad, who appeared to be a vapid beautiful woman on the face of things, but was actually highly intelligent, articulate and had deep interests in fine art and literature. Whether this is a portrayal of reality or not is another thing, but it does raise some interesting questions. Apparently, American doesn't like smart women.
I think certain people often like to think beautiful and naturally social women (or people in general, really) are less intelligent as a sort of defense mechanism. Many of those same certain people overvalue and/or focus too much on intelligence as a quality, and may overestimate their own. Such people can be rather pedantic and wrap up too much in their identity in the idea that they're smart, which can be off-putting to some other people. Then there's the opposite. There are smart, intelligent, and/or highly-educated people who see no reason to overly or intentionally project those qualities, who don't wrap up too much of their identity in them, and who know how to just be normal people, who are very social, etc. I don't recall having witnessed it, but it would be interesting to see one of the former accuse the latter of being unintelligent, etc. and get put in their place., all in a real life scenario of course.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM

26 posts, read 23,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You're talking about education, which is not the same as intelligence. Wealthy people are typically more educated because they have to manage their money better.

But, when's the last time you see someone beautiful win the nobel peace prize for science, math, etc.
that's true, it is not the same thing as intelligence. however, intelligence by attractiveness is hard to measure. and most nobel prize winners are geniuses in their own right, it's very difficult to make a statement about millions of people when you're only using a select few as an example.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,544,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Damn! My skin is more olive toned so I guess I'm more dumber.
Aw, don't cry. I'm sure hubby finds your intelligence inspiring.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 AM

30,378 posts, read 31,251,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Physical appearance has no bearing on intelligence one way or the other.
Agreed!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:07 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,821,235 times
I think it can go either way. You can have both looks and intelligence or not. For guys, it isn't a detriment to be good looking and intelligent. It is ok to be good looking and intelligent. For women, your looks can work for or against you depending upon the situation.

Some women are simply raised to believe that looks are important above all else. We'll never find out if they are actually intelligent or not. There are some homely women that try to act like they are pretty and that is all they will ever need in life. Not sure if that is a product of raising or lack of intelligence.

I personally prefer intelligence. If you get looks with it then...BONUS!!!

Last edited by Sarahsez; 01-30-2015 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Hit send too early

Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,840,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Discuss
What is beautiful? It's a subject assessment, varying from individual to individual and varying by societal consensus from one culture to the other, and from one era to another.

Consider that Man A might consider Woman X to be beautiful and Woman Y to be ordinary. If beautiful people are less intelligent, Woman X is less intelligent that Woman Y. Meanwhile, Man B might consider Woman Y to be beautiful while finding Woman X ordinary. In this case, if beautiful people are less intelligent, Woman Y is less intelligent that Woman X. It is mutually exclusive that both Woman X and Woman Y are each individually less intelligent than the other.

Similarly, a woman with looks generally regarded as beautiful in one culture might travel to a faraway country where the culture does not value her type of appearance. You don't think she gains intelligence when she travels to that distant land, and then loses it again on the return, do you?

It's an absurd idea.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 PM

34,665 posts, read 42,807,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Physical appearance has no bearing on intelligence one way or the other.
Then how come women in academics are more likely to be flat chested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or