Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Why does it matter? It's nice to see a company not stifiling employees personal appearance. How are they disgusting, it's just something in an ear, no different than an ear ring, it's no more a health hazard.
It’s not a health hazard, but I also find it very ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The fashion industry largely has a cold climate bias, since much of it is based in cities such as New York or Paris. I know some higher end brands will typically produce resort/cruise collections, but those aren't typically released until late fall, well after much of the spring collections from earlier in the year are no longer available in most stores. We just have to go with what they give us.
Cold climate bias? Maybe for guys, but it doesn't matter whether you're on the runway or in a Midwest big box store, most of the women's clothing is sleeveless/short-sleeved and made of lightweight flimsy material. Even the fall/winter collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
They are especially disgusting when worn by people working in an establishment where I am buying food. I can't tell you how many time I have gone cashier "shopping" at Whole Foods, to avoid looking at those things. Frankly, I don't understand why management doesn't understand how off-putting they are.
Regardless of one's feelings on this trend, retail workers are not exactly a dime a dozen these days based on how may "Help Wanted" signs are in the windows. Management doesn't have the luxury these days of enforcing those kinds of restrictions, especially for competent and reliable employees. Our local newspaper had a front page article a couple weeks ago about even the health-care industry relaxing standards on fashion rules that used to be verboten.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Why does it matter? It's nice to see a company not stifiling employees personal appearance. How are they disgusting, it's just something in an ear, no different than an ear ring, it's no more a health hazard.

Why does it matter that a national corporation is alienating some of its customers by the mutilated appearance of its front-line employees? I can't believe that you have to ask.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Cold climate bias? Maybe for guys, but it doesn't matter whether you're on the runway or in a Midwest big box store, most of the women's clothing is sleeveless/short-sleeved and made of lightweight flimsy material. Even the fall/winter collections.

I have seen plenty of warm coats in women's Fall collections. You must be looking at Pre-Fall collections which are generally more lightweight than true Fall collections, but have similar color schemes.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Why does it matter that a national corporation is alienating some of its customers by the mutilated appearance of its front-line employees? I can't believe that you have to ask.
what? I think the amount of customers they are alienating (because said customers are so offended by someone else's ear gauges that they would refuse to shop there) is pretty small. They are probably saying good riddance.

Ear gauges are not unsanitary nor do they impact the quality of your food. If you want to take your business elsewhere as a result, so be it. But that's on you.

Last edited by Sunbather; 09-17-2018 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Can't stand winged cat eye eyeliner. Looks so ridiculous and clownish to me. When someone does their makeup like that, I can't stop looking at it and thinking how stupid it looks.
Also do not like cold shoulder, cut out tops. A lot of the tops would look nice or at least okay if it was just sleeveless. But having sleeves with holes in the shoulder/upper arm part makes most tops look super cheap and tacky.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:
I have seen plenty of warm coats in women's Fall collections. You must be looking at Pre-Fall collections which are generally more lightweight than true Fall collections, but have similar color schemes.
I don't (or shouldn't) need a coat inside. I'd like some clothes with some coverage (long sleeves, non-plunging necklines, material thicker than gauze). Those are in short supply.

And actually, regarding coats - you'd be surprised how flimsy those are too. Just because they look warm and have faux fur around the neck does not mean they will actually keep you warm when the temperature dips below freezing and the wind is blowing. Many of them are no more effective than a spring windbreaker.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Can we stick to the topic?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Lord. Further deterioration of new clothing to make it look like stuff Goodwill would put in the trash:

For 500 bucks, you can get shoes you wouldn't take to the salvation army. Um, thanks Nordstrum. You really shouldn't have.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/na.../269-596706589

Old 09-21-2018, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But in warm climates like mine, the last thing you want to do is wear TWO shirts between, say, May and October!

It gets pretty warm in Missouri too. I usually avoid layering, and thus thin, see through tops and sweaters, because I don't want to wear another layer under it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty