Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
So swimwear is for sex purposes, not for swimming? And if what you see in a speedo isnt sexy then how/why do people ever breed or have sex? Are we supposed to judge men for their looks but judge women for whats on the inside? How is that not a double standard with a bit of hypocrisy?
Virtually all fashion is for sex purposes whether revealing or not. Fashion is a form of signalling and enhancing our attractiveness to potential mates.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:12 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Most men wear shorts in Australia.

Life savers wear budgiesmugglers because they lend speed, less fabric means less drag in the water.

That's why they call em Speedos.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,578 times
comfort?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:50 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not the same, for men not only is it uncomfortable, it can cause infertility. My BAG has to adjust stiffness to adapt to changes to body temperature if it can't do that it can cause infertility and even long term function issues.

To me, it feels like a big hand is between your crotch pushing against you. Not the same as a thong where a woman is to rubbing against it.
I know a few guys that would consider infertility a good thing.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
As two other posters have remarked, the underlying cause is an insidious form of homophobia in American mainstream culture.

Tight, revealing swimwear in the American estimation is "gay". In the land of gay-marriage, rainbow bumper stickers and scrupulous adherence to nondiscrimination based on sexual orientation, so many men are mortified of themselves being labeled as "gay", and therefore take special care to adorn themselves as to send unambiguous signals of their heterosexuality. The same applies to wearing tight jeans/trousers, a close-fitting dress shirt worn with several buttons open, sitting with one's legs crossed/tucked in "effeminate" manner, and so forth.

Compare this for example with countries like Turkey, which are overtly and blatantly discriminatory against LBGT in public policy and societal opinion, but where men wear tight/revealing swimwear without the least fear of inadvertently exuding a "gay" image.

Curious contradiction, is it not?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:10 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As two other posters have remarked, the underlying cause is an insidious form of homophobia in American mainstream culture.

Tight, revealing swimwear in the American estimation is "gay". In the land of gay-marriage, rainbow bumper stickers and scrupulous adherence to nondiscrimination based on sexual orientation, so many men are mortified of themselves being labeled as "gay", and therefore take special care to adorn themselves as to send unambiguous signals of their heterosexuality. The same applies to wearing tight jeans/trousers, a close-fitting dress shirt worn with several buttons open, sitting with one's legs crossed/tucked in "effeminate" manner, and so forth.

Compare this for example with countries like Turkey, which are overtly and blatantly discriminatory against LBGT in public policy and societal opinion, but where men wear tight/revealing swimwear without the least fear of inadvertently exuding a "gay" image.

Speedos used to be cool in the US. But that was before gay rights and gay marriage. Odd, that. I guess hetero guys want to avoid getting hit on at the beach. I don't think it's about homophobia. They just don't want to be deal with sexual harassment from other guys.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 PM

187 posts, read 195,079 times
I wear very well made bleeding madras swimming trunks that I purchase from my favorite men's shop, not because I'm a prude but because I'm a snob.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Very good point.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Americans have larger "junk" than the rest of the world. Showing that off in a Speedo would just be rude!
Or the opposite. They don't want to reveal their tiny JUNK.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Speedos used to be cool in the US. But that was before gay rights and gay marriage. Odd, that. I guess hetero guys want to avoid getting hit on at the beach. I don't think it's about homophobia. They just don't want to be deal with sexual harassment from other guys.
I'd disagree. I think the majority of women in the US don't think a male in a Speedo is sexy, and that is borne out from the comments from women in this thread. Most males are going to wear whatever is going to be appealing to the opposite sex, whether they are single or in a relationship.

If more women found guys in Speedos attractive, you'd see more guys wearing them in this country. Even if it's a "good" looking guy wearing one here, they are the subject of ridicule. I saw that a few times when I lived in FL. It's just not an accepted style here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty