Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing a trend in the past year or so where shorter shorts have come in to fashion for urban sophisticated males. I'm not talking "short shorts" that females wear...rather the shorts will sit above the knee and usually fit pretty well or are form-fitting.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is this a Miami thing?

And may this trend last forever and ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
This has been going on for 2 - 3 years now. I have couples.
And no, it is not a Miami thing. Most urban metro dudes in their 20s, 30s even 40s wear them; gay or straight.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:00 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
And as for those who are over 40, they just dig down to the bottom of the dresser, and there are the shorter shorts from back when they were in style previously. Never throw anything away, that's the best plan.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
This has been going on for 2 - 3 years now. I have couples.
And no, it is not a Miami thing. Most urban metro dudes in their 20s, 30s even 40s wear them; gay or straight.
que?

well it's quite refreshing from the days where everyone wore those baggy, long shorts with the pockets all over them... cargo shorts. Or those plaid shorts that went well below the knee. Those things were disgusting.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
I must say I agree--shorter, slightly-above-the-knee shorts are much more flattering than those baggy, lumpy board shorts of the past few years. They look like culottes (sp?), another fashion atrocity. I was in Sears (nice store, but hardly a seat of avant-garde fashion) just last week and saw the somewhat shorter shorts, being sold as camping shorts. If a guy has nice legs, I think they ought to wear shorts that are slightly above the knee to show them. Certainly better than the culottes that make all men look short and dumpy.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I must say I agree--shorter, slightly-above-the-knee shorts are much more flattering than those baggy, lumpy board shorts of the past few years. They look like culottes (sp?), another fashion atrocity. I was in Sears (nice store, but hardly a seat of avant-garde fashion) just last week and saw the somewhat shorter shorts, being sold as camping shorts. If a guy has nice legs, I think they ought to wear shorts that are slightly above the knee to show them. Certainly better than the culottes that make all men look short and dumpy.
They ought to be mandated.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I live in Denver and I've been wearing shorts that are just above the knee for the past few years. Some of them are called "West Coast Slim"... whatever that is. Not tight, but not baggy. They look much better than the below-the-knee baggy shorts of the 90s and 2000s.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
Are "just above the knee" shorts short? When you get to a 5 inch inseam (and not with a baggy lowered crotch) then I think you're probably not too inhibited.

I don't understand this fear of the male body. Why does it have to be so carefully hidden?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
And as for those who are over 40, they just dig down to the bottom of the dresser, and there are the shorter shorts from back when they were in style previously. Never throw anything away, that's the best plan.
I'm in SD for 1/2 the year and was at the Mall looking for your standard long shorts. None to be found. I'm always about 5 years out of date.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm in SD for 1/2 the year and was at the Mall looking for your standard long shorts. None to be found. I'm always about 5 years out of date.
Just think of it as you're 15 years ahead of the next 20 year turn of the fashion cycle.

I remember the original short male shorts epoch, in the 70s. The thing then was to be blonde and tan and to have those tanned, Robert-Redford, reddish-gold leg hair, tennis player legs. Are men blonde anymore? It really used to be a "thing", along with words like "hunk" and "buns". "Check out that hunk in the OP shorts, what a pair of buns!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty