U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 PM

10,053 posts, read 7,021,578 times

Advertisements

Far from it.

I wear whatever that's comfortable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 PM

1,256 posts, read 876,456 times
I buy something only if I like it and if it suits me. Could care less whether or not it's "In"

Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,663,016 times
I look at the current fashion and only wear items that look good on me - I also have my own personal sense of style and don't follow trends -

Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,322,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Oh stop you can still look nice.And I'm sure you do.
I look presentable. I do my nails wear make-up. My clothes fit properly, but I'm still morbidly obese.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,492,893 times
Yes, I am very in style.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:29 PM

26,892 posts, read 28,195,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I like fashion and shopping and staying current with my wardrobe. I don't buy expensive pieces and I'm an expert in finding great sales and deals on good quality things, so I don't feel guilty in updating my wardrobe often and switching it out. I tried going with the more classic, less pieces but better quality approach and just can't do it - I get extremely bored with wearing the same stuff for a long time. Plus it's really fun to experiment with trends. Now that I'm a suburban SAHM I don't have many opportunities to wear really nice outfits, heels, jewelry etc, so I stick to casual but funky - my typical look for cool Pacific Northwest weather is skinny jeans with a cute fitted sweater, riding boots, leather jacket, chunky infinity scarf and large slouchy handbag. Too many women around here dress in lumpy, dumpy, and shapeless 'mom jeans', hiking boots, and bulky windbreakers, yuck.
I am with you on the finding the limited wardrobe of classics pretty stifling. The only classic I am married to is getting a lot of cardigans. Everything else, I change my mind on. My staples: grey cardigan, black cardigan and pink cardigans. I have lots in many shapes. One of the 3 colors will match basically any outfit I come up with. I usually get a new cardigan in the color of the season too.

I like heels if I do not need to walk or stand. But my life includes a good bit of walking during my commute. And taking transit during the work week and sometimes on the weekend. Heels are not remotely practical. My feet hurt.

My wardrobe these days is basically a dress / cardigan / cute flats. I mix it up with solid colored skirts and patterned tops. I end up getting obsessed with a shape or color and get a bunch of stuff fitting the description. A couple of years ago it was cobalt blue: umber practical color. It is one of my new staples. I also love dark pink / fuchsia.

I also am somehow obsessed with black and white (or cream) dresses at the moment. On the up note, these black and white dresses match all cardigans.

I might have found my uniform.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:41 AM

5,071 posts, read 3,340,796 times
I define style.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
I definitely have my own style. It might change a bit over the years, but never in response to some Cosmo front page article about "what women should wear this season" or some "hot or not" show or what a newscaster or celeb has on.

Some parts of my style never change, and won't, and I could care less how "out of fashion" they ever get. My hair and my glasses are the most significant signature things that are ME and are not negotiable. I have long, long hair, parted in the middle. Sometimes I braid it but usually not. It's starting to go silver (from dark brown) and I plan to let it. I have round silver frames for my glasses that are high quality Italian Brooks Brothers frames that cost a lot when we got them, 22 years ago now, and they have held up better than any of the junk the optical shops want to peddle on me now.

And those two things get me a lot of comments and compliments. Seems those outdated, "out of fashion" things can sometimes be very much admired, as they make me unusual/unique.

I also like to buy clothes from obscure designers and retailers (though I tend to wait for sales.) I hate the notion of looking like everyone else. I love cargo pants, bootcuts, pants with zipper and D-ring accents (like Tripp pants, but no straps, I remove them) ...and I hate capris and skinny jeans. I like long socks with stripes, and wide horizontal striped shirts. I like skate shoes and combat boots. I'm not a very girly girl. My coworkers were shocked to see me in a dress at our Christmas party, and then wanted to know where I found it.

It was this:
ALICE en Splendeur Dément - BLUE TEA GOTHIC COSTUME DRESS NOIR But with silver stockings, tall boots and a shawl, not the gothy accessories shown.

So...I guess I have a lot of fun with fashion, but not the kind that is presented to the masses as what one should wear...rather, the style I create for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or