U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 1 day ago)

13,254 posts, read 7,438,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People? Women are supposed to be fatter than men because curves are attractive to men.
After all, humans are not really meant to live 90 years, but shorter lives full of procreation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
But women are not supposed to weigh more than men.

I dont ever recall finding an woman who outweighed me to be attractive. My adult weight from the low end was 150 and on the high end 178 lbs. Im 175 pounds today and it would be a very very very rare woman who I would find attractive/sexy who weighed 170 pounds or more. She can have a "cute face" but I am not going to find her physically attractive. Unless she's like some tall super athletic Boris Vallejo drawing viking chick who does crossfit everyday.
Are we back to the "women live to be attractive to men" thing again? Anyway, why on earth are heavy women called "plus sized?" Every time I hear that term, I vomit a little in my mouth. I long for the days when we called things what they are.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:27 PM

3,185 posts, read 3,877,072 times
First off, the Onion was first:

10 Photos Of Plus-Size Models We Deserve A Pat On The Back For Running | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Secondly, she's part of an advertisement, not a feature.

Thirdly, this advertisement is discriminatory against ugly, skinny people.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,843,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ashley's shape is 100x better than Kate Upton's IMO.
Sorry to disagree, but.........

Anyway, this is progress putting this gorgeous creature into the SI issue. Good for her and good for us all.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,348,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Are we back to the "women live to be attractive to men" thing again? Anyway, why on earth are heavy women called "plus sized?" Every time I hear that term, I vomit a little in my mouth. I long for the days when we called things what they are.
That is what I do, I call things what they are: men should be attractive to women and vice versa

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,359,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Although the "schlubby guy" isn't on the cover of GQ. The "schlubby" male actor has no problem getting roles on TV in movies. It is a pretty common scenario for said guy to have a "hot wife" on the sitcom or movie.
There are so many articles about this phenomenon: Fat Guys with Hot Wives: A TV Timeline
Pretty much every fat guy in TV and film is a doofus, depressed/a failure or trying to get into shape. This argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Quote:
At the end of the day, men aren't expected to drive their self-worth on their looks.
Really? Women are just as shallow as men. There will never be a fat Thor and the guy who gets all the ladies will never be obese.

Quote:
No one mentions if the Fortune 500 male CEO is a good dad, has nice clothing or what his personal care routine is in the profile. Find any "high-powered" woman, and al cover is 50% accomplishments, 50% appearance if you are lucky.
That's unfortunate, but not exclusive to women. Gay men in positions of power face similar(if nor more intense) scrutiny for things that have nothing to do with their jobs.

Quote:
In our society, there is a general rule that overweight women should disappear until considered "conventionally attractive."
Same rule applies for men, but no one is trying to reverse this for men.

Quote:
There are tons of problems with this. At the end of the day, what's the problem if an overweight woman is in a magazine or gets a modeling contract. Are we saying that overweight people should stay home and sit around under a blanket until small enough to fit into "regular sizes." Or should not be seen until losing weight. It is just silly. All sorts of people should be represented in all sorts of ways.
The argument is that only showing thin women is an endorsement of being thin and doesn't support being curvy or overweight. So showing overweight women must then be accepted as an endorsement of overweight women. You can't have it both ways, so if showing thin women tells girls they have to be thin then showing overweight women at the very least tells them it's acceptable to be overweight. I think that is irresponsible. Sure, a lot of people are overweight. A lot of people are also alcoholics and drug addicts. Do we have to promote their unhealthy behaviors as well?

Quote:
And just because the "mainstream" thinks you are less attractive doesn't mean you can't have confidence in yourself, take pride in your appearance and have a desire to have cute clothes. Sheesh!
Sure, you can be a confident obese person. Just don't tell people that obesity in an acceptable or appropriate life choice.

Quote:
The "health" argument is just BS. No one cares about "health" they just want more eye candy. Some random model or person on the internet's health has no bearing on your own life, and you have no idea what anyone's health status is by looking at them.
You just undermined your entire argument. If it doesn't matter then why should anyone care? If a magazine has nothing but thin women why should you care if it has no impact on anyone's lives?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:38 PM

26,897 posts, read 28,215,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Ashley's shape is 100x better than Kate Upton's IMO.
I think Kate Upton is very cute (and seems like a really fun person) but she doesn't have any waist definition. Which is why I a agree that I like Ashley Graham's shape more.

But I first saw Kate Upton in that basketball game tech me how to dougie video and was totally impressed. She has 90s supermodel charisma. And that is why she is popular. Relatable for women, and men like her too.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:46 PM

26,897 posts, read 28,215,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Pretty much every fat guy in TV and film is a doofus, depressed/a failure or trying to get into shape. This argument doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Really? Women are just as shallow as men. There will never be a fat Thor and the guy who gets all the ladies will never be obese.
Really? Seems to happen quite often on TV.

Quote:
That's unfortunate, but not exclusive to women. Gay men in positions of power face similar(if nor more intense) scrutiny for things that have nothing to do with their jobs.
That's because being gay makes you non hetero-normative. The male part has zero to do with it

Quote:
The argument is that only showing thin women is an endorsement of being thin and doesn't support being curvy or overweight. So showing overweight women must then be accepted as an endorsement of overweight women. You can't have it both ways, so if showing thin women tells girls they have to be thin then showing overweight women at the very least tells them it's acceptable to be overweight. I think that is irresponsible. Sure, a lot of people are overweight. A lot of people are also alcoholics and drug addicts. Do we have to promote their unhealthy behaviors as well?
Only showing thin people, like only showing white people, is a way to say that there is only one sort of person. And if you aren't that type, you don't exist.

Quote:
Sure, you can be a confident obese person. Just don't tell people that obesity in an acceptable or appropriate life choice.

You just undermined your entire argument. If it doesn't matter then why should anyone care? If a magazine has nothing but thin women why should you care if it has no impact on anyone's lives?
Representation is important, because they way people are represented in the media translates into how you are treated in real life. I'm black. And let's just say that the current media representation of black people, particularly of my skin tone leads to a lot of tomfoolery in my real life.

But the BS that X (x meaning overweight people) should not be represented because it is "not healthy" is a load of crap. Health advice doesn't come from looking at someone in a cute outfit.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:54 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,359,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Really? Seems to happen quite often on TV.
What does? Fat men appearing? Sure, it happens. But every fat man with a hot wife is portrayed as a moron who's lucky to have her. Fat/overweight men in media are not leading men that sexy women fawn over.

Quote:
That's because being gay makes you non hetero-normative. The male part has zero to do with it
Gay men are still men.

Quote:
Only showing thin people, like only showing white people, is a way to say that there is only one sort of person. And if you aren't that type, you don't exist.

Representation is important, because they way people are represented in the media translates into how you are treated in real life. I'm black. And let's just say that the current media representation of black people, particularly of my skin tone leads to a lot of tomfoolery in my real life.
Why is media representation important for overweight people when they're already the majority of Americans? If it's not important for white people then why is it important for another majority? Because it's all about making fat people feel less guilty about being fat.

Quote:
But the BS that X (x meaning overweight people) should not be represented because it is "not healthy" is a load of crap. Health advice doesn't come from looking at someone in a cute outfit.
Promoting fat people is promoting fat people, not what they're wearing. A fit person looks better in pretty much everything than a fat person so the only reason to use a model is to use a fat model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or