Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If that were the logic, it would be ideal to weigh as little as possible. But that's not the case.
What matters is that someone is not fat, with a huge belly at the front, which causes stress on the back.
That woman looks healthy to me, healthier than most slim women. One can be fit yet a bit overweight. I mean, who decides what is overweight, over what weight? A lot of women, especially the ones in commercials, are underweight in my view.
it is more ideal to weigh less from a health standpoint.

the longest lived people with the fewest health problems are basically short and skinny. japanese, andorrans, etc. large people die earlier, and have more health problems, even if they aren't fat.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
it is more ideal to weigh less from a health standpoint.

the longest lived people with the fewest health problems are basically short and skinny. japanese, andorrans, etc. large people die earlier, and have more health problems, even if they aren't fat.
People? Women are supposed to be fatter than men because curves are attractive to men.
After all, humans are not really meant to live 90 years, but shorter lives full of procreation

Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People? Women are supposed to be fatter than men because curves are attractive to men.
But women are not supposed to weigh more than men.

I dont ever recall finding an woman who outweighed me to be attractive. My adult weight from the low end was 150 and on the high end 178 lbs. Im 175 pounds today and it would be a very very very rare woman who I would find attractive/sexy who weighed 170 pounds or more. She can have a "cute face" but I am not going to find her physically attractive. Unless she's like some tall super athletic Boris Vallejo drawing viking chick who does crossfit everyday.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
But women are not supposed to weigh more than men.

I dont ever recall finding an woman who outweighed me to be attractive. My adult weight from the low end was 150 and on the high end 178 lbs. Im 175 pounds today and it would be a very very very rare woman who I would find attractive/sexy who weighed 170 pounds or more. She can have a "cute face" but I am not going to find her physically attractive. Unless she's like some tall super athletic Boris Vallejo drawing viking chick who does crossfit everyday.
Why would they not weigh more, given they are equally tall? Also depends on what people think a man should look like, you know, apeman or emo

Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
The plus size model is really lovely. She is one of the fortunate few who have extra weight, yet a good curvy shape with flat stomach and relatively small waist. Unfortunately a majority of heavier women do not have a shape like that. Nice to see ads featuring curvier women though.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,078 times
I do notice a real double standard when it comes to "representation" in media. None of these women who are clamoring for "plus-sized" models to be more common in things like Sports Illustrated are also clamoring for more "plus-sized" men to be featured. None of them are demanding that a shlubby guy with a gut should appear on Men's Health.
It's very clearly about making overweight women not feel as bad about being overweight. Some people are even celebrating that one obese model getting a contract, as if being obese is awesome. It's not. It's unhealthy and shouldn't be promoted as anything else.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's very clearly about making overweight women not feel as bad about being overweight. Some people are even celebrating that one obese model getting a contract, as if being obese is awesome. It's not. It's unhealthy and shouldn't be promoted as anything else.
You are right about that.

One of my favorites about that super obese gal getting a contract was by one popular FB page/blogger who has always complained about photoshopping of models and lack of "real women" being portrayed had a photo of that huge chick but they photshopped out all of her horrible tattoos. It was as hilarious as it was hypocritical.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:03 PM

That's a strange accusation because she is not obese to begin with. If anything she is slightly overweight, but I am not sure she is. Actually, I don't think so. She is simply feminine...

Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM

106 posts, read 151,111 times
I have a feeling that this has been edited and airbrushed a lot. I think the real image of her is probably a bit larger.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I do notice a real double standard when it comes to "representation" in media. None of these women who are clamoring for "plus-sized" models to be more common in things like Sports Illustrated are also clamoring for more "plus-sized" men to be featured. None of them are demanding that a shlubby guy with a gut should appear on Men's Health.
Although the "schlubby guy" isn't on the cover of GQ. The "schlubby" male actor has no problem getting roles on TV in movies. It is a pretty common scenario for said guy to have a "hot wife" on the sitcom or movie.
There are so many articles about this phenomenon: Fat Guys with Hot Wives: A TV Timeline

At the end of the day, men aren't expected to drive their self-worth on their looks. No one mentions if the Fortune 500 male CEO is a good dad, has nice clothing or what his personal care routine is in the profile. Find any "high-powered" woman, and al cover is 50% accomplishments, 50% appearance if you are lucky.

In our society, there is a general rule that overweight women should disappear until considered "conventionally attractive."

There are tons of problems with this. At the end of the day, what's the problem if an overweight woman is in a magazine or gets a modeling contract. Are we saying that overweight people should stay home and sit around under a blanket until small enough to fit into "regular sizes." Or should not be seen until losing weight. It is just silly. All sorts of people should be represented in all sorts of ways.

And just because the "mainstream" thinks you are less attractive doesn't mean you can't have confidence in yourself, take pride in your appearance and have a desire to have cute clothes. Sheesh!

The "health" argument is just BS. No one cares about "health" they just want more eye candy. Some random model or person on the internet's health has no bearing on your own life, and you have no idea what anyone's health status is by looking at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.