U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 09:55 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,055,814 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard of these Brands:
-- Immino-Viva
-- Powerhouse
-- Savane
-- Sodash -- so expensive
-- Zaega (the name of the website for all these brands)

None of them are cheap. I stumbled across the website zaega hen I was googleing and researching preservative free, water based nail polish.

I was looking for alternatives to chemical-laden stuff, and actually thought, why should I pay $30 for CUTICLE OIL.....OLIE OIL will do the same thing.....AND I can cook with it.

I've also looked at some organic, natural lips sticks....for $30 a tube! Crazy.

Make up seems to be harder to find than skin care, maybe because it has colors in in. I'm mean water pased nail polish MUST have something in it to keep in on your nail.

Where as skin care you can just open up your fridge or pantry and find all kinds of things that will work.

Does anyone buy chemical free organic brands.....or you just use old-fashioned, original, things that work that your grandma used to use.....like olive oil, lemon juice, oatmeal, baking soda....the ORIGINAL natural and cheap ingredients. If so what do you do for lips stick or ail polish?

I'm sort of thinking: why buy some crazy priced product like Dr. Perricone or Peter Thomas Roth....when I can great results natural for LESS THAN pennies on the dollar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:27 PM

230 posts, read 153,184 times
Until now I have not heard of any of the brands you listed. I'd like to check them out though! I'm always interested in finding grooming/makeup things that have the least amount of offensive ingredients in them. Plant based, cruelty and petroleum free are important to me, but you have to dig deeper than just the cute bunny on the label if you want to really know what is in there.

For lip goo I have researched and found a few brands that are animal product free that I use. Recently I discovered Mineral Fusion nail polish, it claims to have no nasty chemicals and it wears well, and they make nice colors. It is not super expensive either.

I feel it is important to remember that just because something may be organic, doesn't mean it isn't full of crap. Research is still out on organic pesticides, (yes, organic food is grown with pesticides) whether or not they have a longer life, do they hurt our water and soil….who knows... I'm not championing any certain way of production, merely stating there are a lot of unanswered questions about many methods of production of derivatives that go into products we use. And organic by way of spraying crops with cow crap as fertilizer is of dubious benefit. They have eaten genetically modified food, given horrid amounts of crazy antibiotics, generally harbor ecoli and goodness knows what else. I'm a farm girl, been there, seen that.

Back to your original query, I do work on keeping things simple in my routine, sometimes coconut oil is the best moisturizer out there!!

In my opinion, it is also beneficial to read and learn what the terms mean on the ingredient labels. Some long scary words can sometimes be very simple ingredients. I always read and look something up if I'm not sure.
Sometimes I just get frustrated that I (choose) to drive across town to get yeast for bread making that I'm sure the stearic acid in it is not animal based. NO WAY I'm cooking or washing my hair in the fat of rendered hogs. I choose with my dollars to vote against that.
I apologize for the tangent, but to me purity in food and beauty/health products is related. As you said, sometimes the best stuff in the most simple!

Old 02-14-2015, 01:06 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,055,814 times
SuuirrelKate, can I presume from the lack of posts, that people aren't that interested in finding natural products that aren't that chemical-laden? The skin is the body's largest organ....you'd think people would be more concerned about what they're putting on it. Even with so many people shooting botox into their faces I was hoping more people would care about the chemicals they put on their skin every day....multiple times a day. Oh, well.....

Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM

14,512 posts, read 11,495,704 times
I cant use the run of the mill cosmetics, or creams.... as I have a chemical illness called MCS.. most makeups make me ill so it testifies of the junk thats in them.. I use witch hazel and doublebase cream for my skin.. most of the products you buy in shops are full of hazards to health and its about time the public were warned, like cigarettes are now.... and please dont laugh. the chemicals on some or most makeups and perfumes are just as much as the rubbish in cigarettes.. and it doesnt matter how expensive the make is you might be buying.... http://safecosmetics.org/downloads/N...tty_report.pdf

Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
It would help you, OP, to understand that there's no such thing as "chemical-free" anything. Everything is chemical. Even olive oil. Every single thing on this planet, including the air your breathe, has a chemical composition. Using the wrong terminology will make it hard for you to find anything worthwhile. And - any company that advertises that they're chemical-free is using deceptive marketing - and that's a HUGE red flag on products I would avoid.

You might be hoping to avoid *synthetics* - which are no more chemical than anything else. Or maybe you're hoping to avoid petrochemicals, which I understand, and try to avoid as well.

If you're looking for mostly plant-derived stuff, you could try Lush. A lot of their stuff has to be kept refrigerated because they don't have any preservatives in them, and they -are- made out of actual crushed fruits and plants. You can find them at some of the better shopping malls around the country. Here's their website: LUSH Fresh Handmade Cosmetics | USA

There's also the Body Shop, which does use some synthetics but does no animal testing and avoids petrochemicals. Available in malls.

If you want things that will a) last a few months before they go bad and b) are made with plants then you will simply have to accept c) are made with preservatives, most of which are synthetic or only "naturally derived" (which is another way of saying synthetic). If you don't mind that they only last a week and have to be kept refrigerated, and have to be replaced regularly, then you have to accept a) a higher cost because the place that makes them has to make them in smaller batches, which costs more, b) you have to live close to where they are, or pay extra for shipping because you can't just buy them while on vacation and leave them in your suitcase for a week, and c) you have to buy it weekly or every other week, which is a pain.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:46 PM

17,999 posts, read 17,159,915 times
Here's a homemade recipe for hand lotion:

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup sweet almond oil
3 oz. veg. glycerin
1/2 TBSP liquid lecithin
1/8 oz. grated beeswax
8 drops tincture of benzoin

Melt wax and oils in top of double boiler. Place glycerin in bottom of blender. Turn on machine and begin to drizzle the oil mixture into the glycerin. Put into containers.

Somewhere I also have a recipe for face cream. It contains olive oil, which by itself is supposed to help build collagen. But the face cream is mostly for night use because it looks greasy and shiny. If you're not going anywhere during the day you can smear it on your face even in the daytime--it's not THAT horrible looking if anyone came to the door.

If you live in a dried out climate like most of the north in winter with heating taking any last bit of moisture out of your skin, you might like these simple, cheap, and relatively non allergenic homemade products.

BTW, I make these recipes without the benzoin because I've been too lazy to go out and buy it. But if you use it you shouldn't have to keep your lotions refrigerated. I just keep my face cream in the fridge--it's not a big problem except when you are traveling. For travel I take sometime like the Burt's Bees product that I mentioned before.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 AM

230 posts, read 153,184 times
Oh I'd love to see your face cream recipe newengland!

Lush! I forgot about them, they do make nice stuff, I got some of their body lotion a while back and it was great, no irritation or clogged pores. @dizzy: I thought they were UK based, maybe you could find out if it can work for you? Thank you for the link, very informative and an easy checklist to take on shopping trips. Guess I'm getting rid of my OPI polish!

rdflk, I agree! I try to be super picky about what my husband and I use on our skin. We have horses, you wouldn't believe some of the toxic garbage that is in potions and lotions for grooming, etc! If I have to wear rubber gloves to apply it then I'm certainly not subjecting my horse to it.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 AM

26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Lush has had a huge US expansion over the past several years. Just about all of our malls and shopping districts have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or