Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:33 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

Minimal makeup will enhance a woman's beauty, not mask it. You want to make your eye color pop, even skin tone, and look fresh.

These women are wearing lots of makeup, but it's applied lightly and deftly.

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vpnzs/minimal-makeup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
A natural looking face belies some very professional make up techniques. To achieve the bare flawless look there can be many products involved but applied correctly in stark contrast to high school orange face attempts. The link above is surely an example of just how professional make up looks "natural".

Starting with a moisturizer, then a concealer in just the right places, foundation, blush and/or conturing, followed by mascara, eyeliner very thin, and subtle flesh tone eyeshadow, eyebrow conturing and make up, lipstick or stain in a neutral color, and a setting powder finish, and ta daaa you have the "natural" look.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
This is why I had such bad self-esteem and struggled with body image so much as a teen and young woman. I'm not naturally pretty; I have 'Jewish' features with deep set eyes, bumpy nose, and recessed chin - the total opposite of the 'naturally pretty', All-American girl-next-door look that I so envied in high school, the blonde girls with blue eyes and cute little button noses. They looked great without makeup, while I looked only slightly less bad with it, and consequently received no male attention, aside from being snickered at.

Fast forward to 30 and I'm loving this age so much better - finally, taking care of my appearance and putting effort into my body, clothes, hair and makeup is paying off, especially as I've learned more about what works for me and developed my style, while the 'all-natural' girls who continue with the natural look for the most part tend to look like a hot mess after a few kids, some extra pounds, with no makeup, messy hair, and sloppy clothes. What could be pulled off at 16 with a cute body and face is no longer so cute at 30+. After feeling inferior to most other girls my age for many years, it's been an incredible confidence boost to now frequently be one of the best-looking women in a group of my peers. As per the great Coco Chanel: "If a woman hasn't become beautiful by the time she's 30, then she's just stupid".

Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I'm not convinced that all of the of natural-looking women in that link are wearing many different products. For example, Paltrow looks like she's only using a few items.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
i wear thin,short false eyelashes,flesh colored eye shadow,under eye concealer,and lip gloss.

is that considered "natural makeup"?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
This is why I had such bad self-esteem and struggled with body image so much as a teen and young woman. I'm not naturally pretty; I have 'Jewish' features with deep set eyes, bumpy nose, and recessed chin - the total opposite of the 'naturally pretty', All-American girl-next-door look that I so envied in high school, the blonde girls with blue eyes and cute little button noses. They looked great without makeup, while I looked only slightly less bad with it, and consequently received no male attention, aside from being snickered at.

Fast forward to 30 and I'm loving this age so much better - finally, taking care of my appearance and putting effort into my body, clothes, hair and makeup is paying off, especially as I've learned more about what works for me and developed my style, while the 'all-natural' girls who continue with the natural look for the most part tend to look like a hot mess after a few kids, some extra pounds, with no makeup, messy hair, and sloppy clothes. What could be pulled off at 16 with a cute body and face is no longer so cute at 30+. After feeling inferior to most other girls my age for many years, it's been an incredible confidence boost to now frequently be one of the best-looking women in a group of my peers. As per the great Coco Chanel: "If a woman hasn't become beautiful by the time she's 30, then she's just stupid".
Okay, but is that really the makeup that has led to overtaking the competition? Also, I've never heard that deep-set eyes are a Jewish feature [which is a tangent that might as well be ignored].

Edit: no, I don't consider false eyelashes makeup. They are physical attachments - anyone is welcome to state the technical term - which I believe can help significantly.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Someone left an anonymous rep about Paltrow wearing no makeup in that picture and needing more. Meow Seriously, she'd look better with more, but not much better. Better as in maybe 5 years younger (not back to her prime), while probably not sexier in face (that's more about face shape, eyes and lips, I suppose) and of course without an upgrade to her straw hair or meh body. To me, that illustrates the usual limited efficacy of makeup.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
The Cosmetics Industry isn't multi billion pa because they DONT work.

The difference between me with makeup and without is -

that nice girl in 31 vs that crazy lady at 31.

TRUTH

Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I'm not sure that you can use pictures of celebrities as a yardstick in a discussion of whether makeup enhances appearance, because it's not just a matter of makeup in those photos, or any celebrity photos. You also have to consider lighting and photoshop. Not to mention that they've been made up by stylists. You'd be better off looking at women dropping off kids at elementary school, or grocery shopping. There you could get a real feel for "made up" v. "natural."

Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Astrological readings must generate tens of millions of dollars in revenue annually, despite having zero validity. And I didn't say makeup is completely ineffective.

For multiple reasons, I can only cite famous examples here. Maybe I should contrast Paltrow with Mila Kunis, whose face has more potential (including lips and eyes that are naturally at least average). Kunis seems to illustrate a principle that if the basic structure is there, a set of mild flaws can be hidden by skillful makeup and thus bring up attractiveness significantly. That said, I think most women have facial problems that can't much be masked by makeup. The makeup industry likes to use naturally beautiful people to trick the public into associating makeup with beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty