U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:39 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I think a main reason women think makeup helps much in the competition is that they almost always start before they are women. Most females don't have the ability to do much invasive stuff until they are adults; I guess even extensions aren't an option for many teens. Some schools (rightly, I think) won't allow skimpy clothes. Essentially they get stuck in a "I need makeup" mindset borne of possible desperation.
Latest Survey Results: Making Faces: A SmartGirl Makeup Survey Summary
"To feel better about myself 32.52%"
Eh, the main reason I started wearing makeup way back when was due to the influence of 17 Magazine. Nowadays I just wear a little eyeliner and mascara and don't even bother with lipstick most days, though I surely need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 PM

18,843 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
What guys really mean is that they like women who put their makeup on well enough that the guys can't tell they have any on.
Too true.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:07 PM

722 posts, read 834,646 times
one of the worst types of make up is when a woman has her eye brows tattooed with no hair

permanently tattooed eye brows, usually only women that use a lot of make up do this

Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times
Quote:
Okay, but is that really the makeup that has led to overtaking the competition?
It's not everything, but it's definitely part of the package - clothes, hair, and staying in shape are others. My point was that naturally given facial features become less and less of a factor in overall attractiveness the older you get. It becomes what you do with them.

Without makeup, I look washed out, sickly, drawn, and my eyes are almost non-existent.
It's hard to tell from pictures because there are other factors going on like lighting, angle, etc, and I have practically no pictures of myself without makeup - I don't allow it, lol! But this is one of me at about 22-23 with no makeup, and one with full makeup. Granted the first is a bad picture overall but still, it's not far from what I see in the mirror - in fact I don't even want to see myself in the mirror first thing in the morning before I get my 'face' on, lol! I don't wear foundation or lipstick usually btw, but it's the eye makeup, esp eyeliner, and some concealer and blush that make a gigantic difference for me in bringing out my eyes and giving my deathly pale self some color.
Attached Thumbnails
Makeup doesn't seem to level the playing field, at least for the young-dscf0003.jpg   Makeup doesn't seem to level the playing field, at least for the young-nomnom09.jpg  

Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,111,724 times
The right is a recent picture? Looking good, especially the eyes and natural lips. Look slimmer, too, and the hairstyle and clothes are much better (and no kids? - that's a de facto beauty trick, but not exactly a good reason to be so ). That said, the eyes didn't start out bad, I wouldn't call that full makeup (because lips and some skin aren't covered with anything), and I think blush virtually never helps and looks bad when it's obvious. I don't know how much of a difference-maker the eye makeup is. We would need to see basically the same picture without it.

Last edited by goodheathen; 02-10-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 11:57 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
A natural looking face belies some very professional make up techniques. To achieve the bare flawless look there can be many products involved but applied correctly in stark contrast to high school orange face attempts. The link above is surely an example of just how professional make up looks "natural".

Starting with a moisturizer, then a concealer in just the right places, foundation, blush and/or conturing, followed by mascara, eyeliner very thin, and subtle flesh tone eyeshadow, eyebrow conturing and make up, lipstick or stain in a neutral color, and a setting powder finish, and ta daaa you have the "natural" look.
Quote:
I'm not convinced that all of the of natural-looking women in that link are wearing many different products. For example, Paltrow looks like she's only using a few items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm not sure that you can use pictures of celebrities as a yardstick in a discussion of whether makeup enhances appearance, because it's not just a matter of makeup in those photos, or any celebrity photos. You also have to consider lighting and photoshop. Not to mention that they've been made up by stylists. You'd be better off looking at women dropping off kids at elementary school, or grocery shopping. There you could get a real feel for "made up" v. "natural."
Just speaking about models and celebrities, I would agree with the above. The link was done by
a professional photographer and yes those woman are pretty but they had some extra help.
Celebrities without makeup | The Model Stage Blog

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-conte...t-makeup-1.jpg

http://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com...jUetqOeNel.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or