Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
You can thank Sex and the City for that.
I stopped wearing pantyhose long before SaTC. I know I'm not the only one. And as someone who watched the show, I think that's probably the last thing women took away from watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
No hose with sandals! Tacky.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:52 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
I'm old school from the days when you tanned - I never went w/o pantyhose unless my legs were tanned - and I used to have great legs (if I do say so myself) - now that I'm older, legs don't look like they did, also have freckles/moles whatever you choose to call them because I tanned - prefer stockings if I HAVE to wear a dress or skirt, but mostly don't wear them (another topic/thread, "Where did my great legs go?"

Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 PM

455 posts, read 597,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I stopped wearing pantyhose long before SaTC. I know I'm not the only one. And as someone who watched the show, I think that's probably the last thing women took away from watching.
I understand what you're saying, what I meant was that the show really pushed fashion trends and SJP in particular. It was as if overnight Anna Wintour said "No More!", they vanished, like literally in the year 2000, poof! Having been all over the world, I sometimes wonder why US women shunned them, while the rest of the world continued to march on.

For the record, I'm a dude, so me wearing a suit without a necktie would kind of fall under the same umbrella (I wore a suit daily for two years). Yep, it can be tight, constricting, and hot, but I looked damned good wearing one I'm one of those guys who picks up my wife's "Us" magazine to see who wore it the best. I'm a Renaissance Man

Agreed with the rest of the posters, sandals no, peep or closed toed shoes, yes.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:05 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
I'm going to a work event and wearing a cocktail dress and strappy dress sandals. I've always worn stockings with a cocktail dress. What's the rule about stockings with sandal type of shoes?
There's a rule? I wear the Brazilian-style open-toed stockings. They're a lot less likely to run, and you don't need a reinforced toe with them. They kind of create the illusion that you're not wearing stockings, but you still look polished.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
I understand what you're saying, what I meant was that the show really pushed fashion trends and SJP in particular. It was as if overnight Anna Wintour said "No More!", they vanished, like literally in the year 2000, poof! Having been all over the world, I sometimes wonder why US women shunned them, while the rest of the world continued to march on.
Oh, I agree that the show pushed fashion trends, and there are plenty of trends that the show might be considered responsible for. Manolo Blahnik Mary Janes? Yep. The Carrie necklace (or the horseshoe necklace). Uh huh. Birkin Bags? Of course! But I don't think there was a lot of focus on whether or not they were wearing pantyhose.

And I think US women shunned them because they're HORRIBLE! LOL!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
And I think US women shunned them because they're HORRIBLE! LOL!
Blasphemy! LOL! Honestly, fashion trends have been borderline ridiculous for both sexes in the last decade. Just when Gladiator heels died a well-deserved-death with the real-housewives-boneheads along with booties with open toes, we get the chicken-wire-heels.

Don't get me started on men's fashions or the lack thereof. As soon as the squeeze-yourself-into-sausage-suit goes away the better. A nice, fitted suit is fine, but when I see buttons straining, then we have an issue. One only needs to watch NFL gameday to see suits about to explode.

It's the artist in me that keeps an eye on trends, some good, a lot bad and not a whole heck of a lot of cohesiveness in today's stuff.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:54 PM

A guy who discusses fashion and NFL Gameday in the same post? I feel like we've spotted some rare elusive animal species!

Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM

LMAO! Funny huh?

It's cool though, I'm about to start my second career so I've perused this forum more than once

Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Women don't seem to be wearing pantyhose anymore - mostly bare legged, especially with sandals. I remember the department stores had whole sections for pantyhose, not so anymore - it is a really tiny area now, maybe in a corner. Women do wear the fashionable opaque black stockings in winter and that is a staple, but nylons seem like a thing of the past, just like those hats men used to wear in the 1960s.
Thank goodness! I always hated wearing those things when I was younger. I have not worn nylons in years. I have no plans to ever wear them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty